Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / OoC Forum
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Do you have crazy awesome dreams?
Yes!!
72%
 72%  [ 13 ]
No.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't remember my dreams.
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
My dreams are all nightmares.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I don't know what you're talking about, but is that bacon I smell?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

Tsemara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:42 pm Reply with quote        
No, I don't think that will be the official name, but I had nothing better to put in the title. (The second option was Pretty Pretty Unicorn. But I doubt anyone would get that reference.) So, that's what it will be for now.

>Ahem<
As some of you know, I'm attempting to come up with a role play that has to do with dreams, the people that have them, and what happens when elements of the Dreamscape are introduced into the real world. This will end up along the lines of a science fiction RP, with elements of fantasy. I'm always open to suggestions and criticism... as long as the latter is constructive.

It's not your typical good versus evil, light versus dark kind of role play. Good guys cause mischief. Villains walk around with everyday people. Imaginations create alternate realities. And gravity is only a minor inconvenience.

There will be rules put in place to keep people from getting too powerful. Just because people can imagine it, doesn't mean it's possible. Except for McGuyver. He can do whatever the heck he pleases. But he's not here.

Please, pardon our dust.

Malverne wrote:
Hang on...you went to attack a coyote...with a KATANA?! Dude, that's so badass.
Tsemara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote        
Powers and stuff:

Many people go through their dreams reacting to stimulus. It can be anything from something that might have happened in the past, to events that they are looking forward to. Other cases involve stories that they might have read, watched, or even played. Then there are those that might have eaten something that they probably shouldn't have. Inspiration comes from many things.

There are people that become aware of the fact that they are dreaming, and take charge in one way or another. After speaking with some people, I've found that some powers are more common than others.

Gravity Defiance/Flight: There are a lot of people that fly or otherwise ignore gravity in their dreams. This includes wall climbing, ceiling walkers, and people that walk on air.

Shape Changing: This one seems to be almost as common as flying. Most people have one extra shape, usually an animal they are fond of. In others, the end result is simply a changing of genders. The most I've been able to find someone ever having is three. That's not to say I'm going to allow people to have that many, but it's something I'm considering.

Physical Enhancement: Not to be confused with shape changing, this power covers things like abnormal speed, super strength, crazy ammounts of stamina/endurance and the occasional ability to jump long distances.

Weapon Calling: Depending on the situation, people find themselves able to pull weapons out of what I call "Hammerspace". This is true for both melee and long range weapons. There will be strict limitations on this ability. I don't want to see people pulling BFGs out of their pockets or armoured tanks out of their hair.

Chi: Call it what you will. With the rising popularity of Japanese cartoons, comics, games, etc., there have been a rising number of people using their spiritual energies to create everything from shields, to small bombs.

Elemental: Some people already had these crazy powers of controlling the world around them, even before Avatar: The Last Airbender and Ookami came out.

And I don't know if talking to animals counts as a power. But it would be interesting to know what animals thought. This one is not as common as the others, but enough people have had this happen in their dreams that I thought I ought to mention it.

I'm open to more if people can think of them.

Malverne wrote:
Tsemara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote        
Setting:

As much as I would like to see how things progress in both the Dreamscape and the Waking World, the transitioning would be a pain in the butt to work out. So, for now, the RP will take place in the Waking World.

I would like to see it in an area that has access to a large wooded area. A national park, or something equivalent. At the same time, I'd like it to have access to civilization. Some of the characters have to live somewhere. They don't all live there, some can be visiting or on some kind of road trip. Whatever.

Places named thus far:
Yosemite
Yellowstone
Canada
Colorado
Maine
Montana
Nebraska

Malverne wrote:
Maeve

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:38 pm Reply with quote        
*randomly pops in*

So, how's thing going? Hai

Large wooded area with access to civilization? Why does that sound like the description of Canada to me? <.< No, seriously, Yellowstone or Yosemite sounds good, though I've never been to those places. Or there's always the "random small village that no one has heard of before and that suddenly seems to attract the attention of many people for some more random reason"...

And for power, maybe there could be a category about physical enhancements? Like, in my dream, I don't necessarily shapeshift and things like that, but I can be stronger or faster or more agile than in real life. For example, I usually walks on my hands in my dreams, and can make jumps I could never do before, though it doesn't really seem like a "flight/gravity defiance" moment, but more like a physical ability to use your muscles and body more than a normal human. Pretty much the physical equivalent to the Chi/Mind power thing.

Tsemara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote        
Things are going well. I've been lax in my organizations due to the holdays, and I have a part time job, as a babysitter. Woo... go me. I get to watch two screaming boys all day.

Maeve wrote:
And for power, maybe there could be a category about physical enhancements? Like, in my dream, I don't necessarily shapeshift and things like that, but I can be stronger or faster or more agile than in real life. For example, I usually walks on my hands in my dreams, and can make jumps I could never do before, though it doesn't really seem like a "flight/gravity defiance" moment, but more like a physical ability to use your muscles and body more than a normal human. Pretty much the physical equivalent to the Chi/Mind power thing.

I completely forgot to list that one. Wow. Physical enhancing is fairly common. I'll go edit that shortly.

As for Canada. That would be pretty cool. I have family there, but I've never had the chance to go visit. Closest I ever got was the middle of Washington State. So, not very close at all. I'll put that on the list of places.

I'm going to (eventually) put out a list of player types. I had a number of them, when I began planning, and I'm tempted to use them all, but I'm going to leave them open for discussion.

Malverne wrote:
Tsemara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:04 pm Reply with quote        
Character Types:

Now, this is undergoing a lot of revisions. I had a bunch of player types that I'd nixed and tossed into the pile of things that ought to be burned, along with an old manuscript that best not be mentioned.

ANYHOO... These are they types of characters I've thought of using for this RP. They're up for discussion and I'm perfectly willing to toss a couple of them out with the rest of the rubbish.

Obviously there are the good guys (Dreamers), the bad guys (also Dreamers), and the Norms. I'd like to give titles to the different catagories. Nightmares are obviously bad dreams. So I figured to give the villains something along the lines of the Followers of Nightmare, as a title. Corny, yes, but until I can think of something less retarded, it's going to stay that way.

But what the is the special term for a good dream? I haven't the foggiest idea, outside of 'a good dream'. Lame. My brain keeps telling me to call them the Children of Nod. But I think that sounds silly. I'm sure some of them would prefer not to be called a 'child', regardless of, or perhaps due to their age.

As for the Norms. They're pretty much taken care of. I had wanted to break them down into seperate groups, like Government Agents, Scientists, Regulars, and uh... Secret Keepers, for lack of a better term. The last one is basically a Regular that knows about or is somehow involved with a Dreamer, and keeps their abilities a secret. Pretty straightforward. I don't have a problem just leaving the Norms as 'Norms', and nix the special titles.

There was one more group I was considering on adding. But I'd rather put it up for discussion before I decide to develop it further.

Animals dream. They might not think the same way we do, but they are prone to dreams and night terrors the same way we are. I was considering allowing players to be animals involved in this battle, but there would be heavy limitations as to what they could do. First and foremost, no aquatic species. Secondly, they would be under the same limitations that a norm of their species would have (minus whatever ability they seem to have in the Dreamscape) This means they can't talk, use specific items, and have the same lifespan as the rest of their species.

Malverne wrote:
Maeve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:54 am Reply with quote        
Yeah, Canada is pretty much just wilderness, with some tiny bits of civilization (if you can call it like that) here and there. So there's lots of space to make things without the rest of the world noticing it.

Uh, good dreams = dreams? <_< So you could have followers of the nightmares and followers of the dreams. Or maybe they could just be called by their category, so Dreams and Nightmares, instead of Good and Bad. Children of Nod sounds good, but then again, "children" can become annoying... Plus, considering the characters won't probably use the complete titles when they talk, it would end up as being Children against Followers, which sounds a bit weird...

Norms is pretty nice alone, though I guess you could add a sub-category for all the types. Like, your main type determine on which side you are (good, bad or neutral), and then the sub-category tells what kind of job you're doing to help your side (though, for norms, it could also just be what they do for living).

Pets could be fun, though obviously they can also be complicated to manage. Maybe just try to make things as clear as possible for the other character types, and when that's done, you could work on the animals and other "less important" aspect of the game. I mean, pets can be fun, but the primary aspect of the game is the human dreamers and what happens with them, unless the animals could talk with the humans, but if they can't, they can't really play first roles either.

Nice work though! I can't wait to see it finish! ^^

Tsemara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote        
You have a good point. I'll not say which one, but it's there.

The Dreamers could also just be Dreamers. The faction that broke off to cause trouble could later be branded as Nightmares.

And after posting this, I thought about just having the Norms be Norms. And on the character application I'd have a spot for individual occupation. Besides, Dreamers have jobs too. Well, some them might.

And I wasn't so much meaning pets, when I mentioned animals. But I suppose they would make more sense than a feral. And they'd probably work better around humans if they are/were raised by the hairless monkeys. But, as I said. I'm still considering adding this as a playable category. It's not something I'm super gung ho about, nor am I thinking it's absolute garbage. Thus the debate.

Malverne wrote:
kerryfox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:20 am Reply with quote        
Animals I think are tricky, in some cases I think they detract from a story unless played super careful. Then again I could just be speaking out of aversion to the whole lets play as animals things due to many years of being exposed to horrible wolf RPs.... Moving along. Really I think the answer to having them in or not is in what kind of story you want to tell and thus far from what I see it is complex with just humans, why add another layer that could gum it up?

As for another part of the shifting powers I know I have had dreams where I am pretty sure my gender changed in case people don't wanna be limited to animals.

As for more locations; Colorado(I am thinking more the southwest) and Maine. If you can get away from the woods, Montana and middle of Nebraska are pretty wide open....
Tsemara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote        
Animals are tricky, and you do make a good point. Having a bunch of animal characters would detract from the regular storyline. Not that I'd allow it to get that far, but even still. The plot is a bit strange enough as it is, without making animals that can speak. Or whatever it is that I would allow them to do.

And yeah. I've had dreams where I changed genders. I have to say, it's a bit strange. But I wasn't going to limit shape changing to just species. I'm not about to let people turn into inanimate objects, but genders isn't a problem.

As for the places, if people could give me a couple of locations in the area they're suggesting, (Someplace, Colorado or Suchandsuch, Canada etc.) that I could reference, I'd be very appreciative. I'll add your suggestions to the list, Kerry they sound cool.

I'm almost in the verge of making someplace up, adding elements of different suggestions. However, even with that idea in mind, I'd like to have different places I could look at when planning.

Malverne wrote:
kerryfox

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:35 pm Reply with quote        
Well lets see Colorado I can list a blillion places, but I love the area around Alamosa the best it has a set of Sand Dunes and is a pretty popular capming place, there is also a few college around too. If you want some thing more people would know about Rocky Mountain National park is good too.
Nebraska any one small town out in the pan-handle would do well.
Montana actualy boarders Yellowstone and Canada. Maine agaian the Canada thing and in the summer it is pretty popular with tourists for lobster.
I'll see what else I can dig up on these places too for you.
Tsemara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:27 pm Reply with quote        
Thank you very much, Kerry. I like the thought of the Rocky Mountain National Park. And lobster sounds really good right about now.

Malverne wrote:
MelancholyMelody~

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:51 pm Reply with quote        
There is no MacGyver in this world? Tsemara, you have crushed my dreams. I don't think I can take part in this if there is no MacGyver by my side to help me battle good, evil or perhaps just slightly perturbed beaver forces.

But srsly.

I lol'd at Pretty Pretty Unicorn. It isn't by any chance a little village up the coast, of which Richard is Lord Mayor? I am usually fairly good at research, you see, so perhaps though I didn't know before I now do?

Maeve wrote:
Or there's always the "random small village that no one has heard of before and that suddenly seems to attract the attention of many people for some more random reason"...

Silent Hiiiiiiill. Shocked

I'd love to visit Canada, and Maine. New Zealand comes to mind, but obviously that would be less America-y based. Still, let no one say I didn't at least think of something!

For the names you could always have something like "disciples of the light/dream/dreams" for the good guys, and then something like..."spawn of the dark/nightmare/nightmares" or perhaps "minions" or "worshippers" or...something dark that means followers. Thesauruses are beautiful things.

I think dream could be used to mean anything that is specifically good. Like it's specifically called a nightmare if it's bad, and a dream, at least for the non-norm people, is only used for good ones.

Is the other group retarded sewer mutants?

As soon as you said night terrors I thought of an awesome name for the baddies. The Knights of Terror. LMAO. Don't you just looooove it. Hey, a play of "night" and "knight" would be cool. The Terror Knights, lmfao. The...dark...knights...Batman? The Knights of Mare, the land of dark dreams. xD

What if the animal is from Krypton? Like Superdog?

Oh, the Dreamers and the Nightmares would be quite good, simple names. Thought of that reading Maeve's next post.

I dunno, although a few would be uppity about it Children sounds nice. Like they are only very young and small, no matter what their age, in comparison to the powers of dreams and...goodness. And it gives an innocent and pure feel. c:

Maeve wrote:
...and then the sub-category tells what kind of job you're doing to help your side (though, for norms, it could also just be what they do for living).

Would working for McDonald's be considered helping the forces of evil?

OH DUDE. I TOTALLY CALLED THOSE NAMES BEFORE I SAW YOUR POST TSEMARA. LET IT BE KNOWN.

As for abilities the only thing that came to mind for me was invisibility. Do many people dream about that? I was trying to think of my own dreams, but most stuff I dream about has been covered. The only thing I thought of was sometimes sort of not being noticed. Not necessarily invisible but unless I want to be noticed I am essentially not visible to anyone.

Perhaps also gaining knowledge/learning skills quickly/immediately? I'm thinking of when I randomly have some skill or knowledge about something in a dream that I don't in reality as though it's a given, maybe because it's relevant to what I am/I'm doing.

Hey guys, as you may have noticed I'm currently not too active due to busyness, however if you need anything or just wanna drop me a line feel free to PM me, as when I check back I'm more likely to see it than posts. :3

iluglimpse Bouncy Heart
Tsemara

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote        
I never said that there is no McGuyver in my little world. I only stated that he's not here to create crazy stuff with us. Thought wouldn't it be an interesting plot twist to come across McGuyver during an adventure, and totally kick arse? The thought itself makes me grin.

And I'm glad someone got the reference to "the little village up the coast". That made me grin too.

The last group I had mentioned was tossed into the bin when I decided that the Role Play was going to take place mainly in the Waking World. Basically, they were people who forever lived in dreams. People in comas. They oversaw the happenings in the Dreamscape, and trained perspective Dreamers in the ways of awesomness. Can't exactly have people play them if they can't do anything.

Concerning the location. I like the thought of New Zeland. But I think I'm just going to cop out and make up someplace loosely based off of different suggestions. I'm probably not going to mention what country it's in, just because I'm a punk like that.

In relation to invisibility, I'm not against it, but I don't think I've come across anyone that's used it. I've had it used against me in one of my dreams, but that doesn't exactly count, now does it? *Shrugs* I'm going to think on that one. I like it. But I'd like to think about it, first. Cross your fingers.

As for learning things. I'm a bit confused. Are we talking about trivial facts that might or might mot be useful in a confrontation? Or is it more along the lines of suddenly knowing how to fly a crashing plane when you've never seen one before in your life, kind of thing?

Malverne wrote:
Tsemara

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote        
Alright. Enough people have been showing support for this project that I've taken it off the back burner, yet again. After two computer crashes, five puppies, and weeks of interrupted sleep, I'm nearly finished with the creation of the role play. (Yay!) I'm not officially posting anything in the role play section, yet. There are still a couple things I'm fine tuning.

One item that's bugging me is the abilities. It's not a problem with the different kinds of abilities. I'm pretty much set there, and I'm always open to suggestions, if people have had other abilities or know of others. I'm limiting it to three. (Thus far. I might change this. But the likelyhood of that happening is slim.) But I don't know if I want to rank them by users' ability to use them, or leaving them as is, and leaving it to the disgression of the player. In the original draft, back when I was making this plot into a comic, I ranked the abilities. I'm certain there were more rankings than this, but this was the only thing I could find after having my hard drives commit firey suicide on me.
Initiate: You had the basic idea on how to use said power but you sucked at it.
Apprentice: You could reliably harness the ability, but the slightest distraction to your focus would break your connection to the Dreamscape and the power would stop until you focused on it again.
Adept: You could maintain the ability with minimal ammount of difficulty. You might run into a problem or two once in a while when using this ability.
Master You had complete control of the ability and are badass with it.

For instance: if I was going to base it off MY Dreamscape abilities, in real life, I'd say that I'm an Adept at ignoring gravity, Master Shape Changer, but only an Apprentice Elementalist and Chi user. (Among other things, but I'll not go into too many specifics. I just seem like a cheater that way.) True, I'd ask for a few more specifics when it came to character creation, but that's just to give you the basic idea of what I'm talking about.

The second thing that's giving me a bit of a problem is again the reason why there are so many Dreamers in one spot. They're supposed to be really rare. True, Nightmares could make a cult and mass together, but what about the others? They really don't have too much to do with each other. I'm thinking of copping out with a blah blah blah vacation and different groups decide to go on holiday to blah blah blah location because it's nice. My other copout was a plane crash and most of them were on the plane. The rest were already in the general area of the crash. But that's just me being lazy and slightly retarded.

Malverne wrote: