Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Art Chat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
LOL UR FACE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:22 am Reply with quote        
I can draw with pencil on paper, but when it comes to drawing with a mouse on a computer(cos I can't afford a tablet xD) I am LE SUCK.

I made this tonight though and I am very proud of it(I EVEN FIGURED OUT TRANSPARENCY <333), considering my usual results. I'd like to get better with the mouse, so any advice?

I know the ballon looks a little whack but I used GIMP to make this and they don't have that nice circle feature paint does. xD

BE MIZ. BE AWESOME.
Maeve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote        
That's pretty good for a mouse-made drawing! Happy

About the balloon, you can try using the circular selection tool, and then simply fill up that selection, which should give you a more circular/ oval shape. It's an easy thing but it can save you a lot of time trying to make more complex shapes.

Also, if you're going to only use a mouse to draw, I suggest you read about the "Path" tool. Basically, it allows you to place anchor points, which are linked by lines that you can curve if needed, and then you can either transform that path into a selection or use a nice little thing that trace your path with the type of line you want. It's really useful for inking, and once you get use to it, it's not really longer than inking by hand. And since you can make multiple paths at the same time, or at least keep them saved up in a list, you can always go back and play with them a little to correct some things. So yeah, "Path" tool is great. I don,t remember if you can find Gimp tutorials on it though, but it's similar to the Photoshop's Path tool, so you can also check those tutorials and just change the word Photoshop for Gimp. Happy

There's also other tools if you want to do more shading and all, but those might need a bit of tweaking and tries to get use to them, so you'd better start with the other things I talked about.

Hope it helps and keep up the good work!

newdivision

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:03 pm Reply with quote        
For a mouse, that's pretty good, and it's cute.

I guess the more you use the mouse the better you get. Before my tablet, I drew with it a lot so I got used to it and I used pre-drawn lines and circles on Paint and Photoshop as much as possible.

Shop at my store!:
http://midorea.com/viewtopic.php?p=144435#144435
LOL UR FACE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:01 pm Reply with quote        
Oh wow THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ENLIGHTENING ME TO THE PATHS TOOL. <333

Wow it made it soooooo much easier to make my pencil sketches in nice looking line art. I am amazed. @____@

BE MIZ. BE AWESOME.
Maeve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:19 pm Reply with quote        
Yes, it makes everything so much easier, especially for mouse users. The only problem is that you can't really make thicker/tinner/lighter lines with it, at least not directly, but it's still worth learning if you're going to use your mouse to draw stuff.

Glad it helps! Big Grin

Raezarin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote        
I don't really use the path tool because I found something better; an opensource vector program called Inkscape! Find it, download it and play around with the various features.

You definitely don't need a tablet (I have one and i use the mouse for Inkscape) and it can do various line thicknesses, along with merging objects together, line fill (filling your lines with colour, or a gradient!) you can fill in the objects themselves, and in general make some pretty cool vector art easily(well, if you have the patience for vectors).

Only annoying thing is that sometimes it crashes without notice so save every couple of mins (had it crash on an experimental piece .I swore. A lot. it was PAINFUL man! PAINFUL!)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:43 am Reply with quote        
New stuffs:

I played around with the paths tool and tried some different types of sahding. :3

BE MIZ. BE AWESOME.
newdivision

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:37 pm Reply with quote        
That's awesome, the path tool helped you a lot, and if it was offered, I'd buy one. Big Grin

Shop at my store!:
http://midorea.com/viewtopic.php?p=144435#144435
LOL UR FACE

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote        
newdivision wrote:
That's awesome, the path tool helped you a lot, and if it was offered, I'd buy one. Big Grin

Thanks! I'd consider opening a shop here but this took me like four hours STRAIGHT to do and I don't really need the silver here that bad. xD

I'll definitely do a freebie or two next event though. ;3

BE MIZ. BE AWESOME.
Lux-Vertas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:10 pm Reply with quote        
Not bad, I can't imagen drawing without a tablet so, I can't offer any advice!

"It has to do with a bizarre concept called democracy, in which ruling power is given to whoever is most skillful at directing the herd instincts of the largest masses of their most ignorant citizens." Nom Anchor, somewhere in the NJO Books...
LOL UR FACE

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:41 am Reply with quote        
Lux-Vertas wrote:
Not bad, I can't imagen drawing without a tablet so, I can't offer any advice!

Yeah I'm really hoping I can get one for christmas. ;3;

Here's another one:

BE MIZ. BE AWESOME.
LOL UR FACE

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:47 am Reply with quote        
I really wanted to work on eyes so I stayed up all night reading tutorials. >_>

I was tired of drawing my own avatar, and since I'm totally in love MelancholyMelody's avatar I drew her. :3

My next goal is working on hair, any advice is greatly appreciated! x3

BE MIZ. BE AWESOME.
Maeve

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote        
Wow, those are really nice! Happy

If you're thinking about getting a tablet, I suggest you get a Bamboo (Wacom). It's a good introduction to the world of tablet drawing, and it is way cheaper than the other brands. It doesn't have some of the more advanced features like Intuos and other tablets have, but it's a pressure-sensitive tablet and it works fine (and, as a beginner (which I am too), I think you don't really need the more advanced stuff anyway). It comes in various size, and you can get one with a wireless mouse and/ or just with a pencil. I got one last Christmas and it's really great.

About drawing, hair is kinda hard to get. I mean, it's mostly a question of what style you're going for. You can just do like one base color, and then put a darker tone for shading and a lighter for highlights, like in anime/ cell-shade drawings, or you can do it strand by strand and smooth everything to make it look more real, which is extra long of course. Though, maybe you should start with the easiest/ less-detailed version first...

Iregyura

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:25 pm Reply with quote        
WOW! That's really, super good for a mouse drawing! You have such passion for it Duh I can't even finish a sketch on paint and give up already Sweat
Snowkoyuki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote        
That's really good, BUT if you feel like it at all, you can change the outline by cropping bits. Then, it will be smoother. Smile