Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Appai

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:49 am Reply with quote        
Phobias suck. A LOT.
I have a slight phobia of needles too ;v;

But my main and most horrendous phobia is octopuses.
Even writing it makes me uncomfortable.
Whenever I see an image of them I won't be able to sleep well for weeks.
It was triggered when I was younger and we went to an aquarium and I saw what I thought was an empty tank. I was really small so I had to get on my toes to look.

Then I see this enormous octopus staring at me. I yelled and cried and ran away. Ever since then I can't stand them. Neither can I stand tentacles of any kind ;w;

I hope it'll get better cause it really is troubling.
hiei

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote        
Amaris Kale wrote:
referring to a post about a butterfly phobia very early on in the thread, I have to say that they are indeed the devil's own creatures, ughhhhh.

However, I also have a severe (but getting better, could't have been much worse) phobia of needles, to the point where I'd pass out and have seizures if I had to have a blood test or anything, to the point where they wouldn't do it.

I'm also terrified of the dark, and I still sleep with the light on at 21 years old... Embarrassed

Phobias are odd little things, aren't they?

I use to be Phobic level scared of the dark, however thats flipped now that I'm an adult. I can't stand sleeping with any sort of light on. : /
jel2658

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote        
I am absolutely terrified of heights, and, yes, the dark. I need to stop reading Creepypastas.

Life is like a tunnel. You'll never know where you end up.

Jel
Zillah

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote        
I don't have any phobias that I am aware of. I'm a little freaked out by certain bugs, like centipedes, and I get a little squeamish around blood and needles... but I'm not phobic by any means.

I watched horror movies with my dad from a very young age and thought they were pretty funny. So maybe that's why nothing really scares me. xD
xanreita

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:57 pm Reply with quote        
My phobias are ridiculous, but they're actually a pretty big deal for me. I have awful pteronophobia, which is a fear of feathers! I lose it when I see a feather that could potentially come anywhere near to touching me, and looking at pictures of feathers sends shivers down my spine. I do my best to keep calm in public when there are feathers involved though, because once certain people find out, they never let you hear the end of it. People are mean. :c
It's helped owning birds though. I am now comfortable with feathers from any bird I know personally, which is a weird modifier to a weird phobia, but it's better than nothing. xD
Zillah

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote        
@xan: That is a strange phobia indeed. I've never even heard of that. I know phobias are irrational by definition, but is there any reason you can of that feathers scare you? Maybe some bad experience you had once? I was afraid of ferns for a very long time because when I was like five years old my older sister told me that they ate children. xD
xanreita

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote        
@Zillah - The earliest memory I have regarding feathers is when I found a black feather boa in a closet and I thought it was really freaky looking, but I can't think of anything particularly traumatic.

Ferns eating children...that's priceless. xD
Zillah

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote        
@xan: Hmm okay. I can actually see how a black feather boa could be a little scary to a child. Especially if it was dark and you thought it might be some sort of monster. I was kind of imagining you had a bad experience with a bird or something. xD

Haha, isn't it just? I wasn't very bright at five years old. A lot of ferns were bigger than me too, so they totally could have eaten me. o_o
Juneberry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote        
I have a few phobias.

I have a phobia of needles to the point that I can't get a blood test without crying while trying to give my dad (or someone else's) hand a death grip.

I have an even worse phobia of thunder. Lightning? Eh, I'm fine. Thunder? I flail about for a while, have a panic attack, end up in fetal position and cry some more. A lot.

I have a phobia of fire, which makes me too scared to get near the stove. When the stove is turned on and I'm near, I jump back because I fear the flames would get near me even though I wasn't near it to begin with.

I have severe agoraphobia and social phobia. I get super intimidated by big groups and actually stopped going to high school freshman year because the amount of people intimidated me to the point I couldn't walk through the door. I get nervous when I'm outside if someone starts walking behind me that I'm being watched, even though I know I'm not. I can't go to parties without panicking about them, and other types of things. I tend to hide in my house as much as possible.

Oh, and I fear men to a degree too. I refuse to have male doctors or therapists most of the time, and I can't get into a car with a male I don't know easily. I had a lot of weird nightmares as a kid that led to it.

Oh, and I recently realized I have a phobia of some sort to drunks, based on PTSD. My dad was once attacked by our drunken neighbor...And now when I hear someone is drunk, I don't want to be within a mile of them if I know because i'm afraid they'll do it again. ;-;
Sharm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote        
Wow, Juneberry, that's a lot of anxiety! Not fun.

I have some social phobias, those come out the most when trying to use the phone. I have to psych myself up every time I use it to call someone I don't talk to on a near daily basis (sometimes those people too). The ring of a telephone kicks my heart rate up every time, not because it startles me but because I'm afraid it'll be for me. My worst phobia is agoraphobia though, when it's bad I curl up in cabinets in the dark because anything bigger or brighter is too much. That one is completely tied to my depression though so since I got that under control the worst it gets is not wanting to leave the house from time to time.
Juneberry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:57 am Reply with quote        
I don't think my agoraphobia ever got to that extreme, but I'll admit I did have an instance of not leaving my room much because I was afraid to get near the windows in the living room. But that was related to the drunken neighbor issue, because he used to use the leaf blower up at our windows. My bedroom windows were on the opposite sides of the house, but even then I wanted to hide from them sometimes.

And I can totally agree on the phone thing. I hate phones. Probably one of the few things I can admit to actually 'hating'. I avoid them like a plague and when I do use them, I am always quite unsettled. I can't use them without pacing in the kitchen, and I get shaky. But it seems to be intermittent, because sometimes I get much calmer with them.

I actually fought my social phobia yesterday though. I started going to a partial care program, and was surprised to find out there were at least 30 of us in the program...So I got super scared going into the main room we meet in. But I managed to get in with just a hyper heart rate and sweating. And it calmed down over the course of the day because I got used to the people, and they were quite nice to me.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote        
Heh, I stopped going to high school due to agoraphobia too. In my senior year, I started remembering some pretty awful things from my childhood. Long story short: I told my boyfriend at the time, he invalidated my experiences, and we broke up. No one but him knew about that, so people assumed I was a mess over him and a few people even started harassing me. I was thinking about killing myself, and even the counselor couldn't help, so I left. Lost all my friends in the process. I can't say that I ever really recovered from losing the friends. It's strange how that hit me more than losing the boyfriend.

I was told by my psychology professor that an agoraphobic person is actually afraid of having an anxiety attack in an unsafe place - not just going into public places. That was kind of enlightening for me, and it helped me use the term more easily. I hesitate to say that I have this phobia or that because, like many things related to mental illness, I feel like "phobia" is an over-used, misunderstood word.

I seek out enclosed, tight spaces for comfort. It started when I was little, and I'd hide in my closet when my dad got drunk and abused my mom. When I sleep at night, sometimes I can't relax unless I have some sort of weight on my back. In public, I curl up in the fetal position when I have a panic attack and press my body against a wall. If there's too much space around me, I feel unsafe. Apparently it's common for people who have a history with abuse. I feel anxious after I clean my room because there's too much space between my door and my bed. I feel like it's easier for people to get to me and hurt me.

I can't really say that I have a phobia of drunks because I've been around them all my life. I'm repulsed by them. I'll probably never drink a day in my life because of my hatred for alcohol. But, I don't really have a phobia. Just a lot of anger.

I actually like needles, for some reason. ^^; No clue why. I like getting shots at the doctor.

Saygen40

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:42 am Reply with quote        
I luckily don't have any debilitating phobias. I can't imagine being scared of going outside or talking to people like some of you have. It must be lonely, but that I guess is the beauty of Mideorea - a community eager to engage with each other. Smile

It's not a fear - more like an extreme discomfort that makes me avoid it at all costs - but I cannot stand friction on my fingertips. Friction on any other part of my body and hand is perfectly fine, but something about short, rounded ends of bones covered with a relatively thin layer of dermal tissue makes me imagine the skin rubbing off if there's friction with anything. I can't rub others' backs with my fingertips, so I tend to knead with my knuckles. Even running my fingertips across a smooth surface freaks me out.

I believe it could be related to the nerve endings concentrated at the tips being overloaded with touch and very weak heat from the friction, but I could just be crazy.
Sharm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote        
There are a lot of nerves in your finger tips, so it could just be a sensitivity, like you say. Do you wear gloves a lot? Does it help?
Saygen40

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:09 pm Reply with quote        
It likely does have to do with the nerves. Can't think of any childhood things that would have caused it.

I don't use gloves at all, I've just adapted to different movements to avoid it. Typing is fine because it's a straight hit down on the key rather than a slide, but with my pinpad I use the pads of my last digits rather than angling up to use the tips under the nails. Most of the time I forget about my fingertip story because I've adapted my finger movements so much that I don't run into the unwelcome friction sensation often - until someone complains about my use of knuckles on their backs. ^^;
Post new topic   Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next