Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Art Chat
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic What are you favourite genres of art & how did you find
heyy13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:48 am Reply with quote        
?

I'm curious what the other artists on Mido are really interested in and how they got into those genres. This is more about what type of art you admire then what you do yourself, but feel free to comment on your own style and how it developed. : )

For those of you who read the other threads in here allready know my main areas of interest are realism, pixelart and installation art. With afew smatters of other genres. My favourite mediums are Coloured/Graphite Pencils and Paints (oil, watercolour or otherwise).

By Kaishi who is just the love. Seriously. <3
Ayelin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:55 am Reply with quote        
Personally I've been a huge illustration nerd for years, probably starting back when I first got my grimy paws on my brothers' comic books when I was in middle school. They got me into art in general and and I started wasting all those hours I was suppose to be getting up to wacky teenage hijinks sitting in the local library, flipping through illustration annuals & fine art books.

I love all things Art Nouveau and Art Deco, and last year I got really into Ukiyo-e after taking a great art history course than ran through the history of Japanese printmaking.

Now if only I could draw something other than cookie cutter anime Laugh
azavena
Pixel Artist
Pixel Artist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:30 am Reply with quote        
I really really like Baroque =\ Here in my country we have some churchs with this kind of art, and omg, it's amazing!

http://www.mundovestibular.com.br/content_images/1/Portugues/01/barroco02.jpg

http://www.marcosmaia.net/uploaded_images/Aleijadinho-703387.png

http://www.brazilinsight.nl/images/stories/ALEIJADINHO.jpg
Lux-Vertas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:46 pm Reply with quote        
My tastes are open, But I do dislike Modern/Post-modern Crap!

And Pop-Art I dislike!

Most of the stuff I like I've seen in class and semi-popular culture

I admire Classical art, and Digital Media that looks like Traditional works

I also like a bit of Surrealism, but not a lot of it...

I mainly look at cartoon stuff (Thank you Art Speilman!)

"It has to do with a bizarre concept called democracy, in which ruling power is given to whoever is most skillful at directing the herd instincts of the largest masses of their most ignorant citizens." Nom Anchor, somewhere in the NJO Books...
Kamaka

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:14 pm Reply with quote        
I like pop art. (Sorry Lux hehe). Even going as far as to ads in a magazine (not joking) there's something that just draws me to it. I like 'art' art too (I don't really consider a lot of what I like 'real art') but yeah...

I'm a total loser I know.

I appreciate art don't get me wrong but there's what I appreciate and what I like, ya' know?

I have a taste for the whole Mondrian thing (I know it's just different color squares but hey) as opposed to something like the Mona Lisa.

I like a lot of architectural art and sculptures.

Wow I totally just started each sentence with 'I' lol
Iregyura

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:30 pm Reply with quote        
I don't exactly like a 'genre' But I like pretty people (sorry, I thought if you're drawing, then it's not real, so they can be super pretty) with music. Any form, piano, violin, whatever. I don't know, but I'm really attracted to those. I guess that came to my fetish for piano and violins (or just about any other instrument). Laugh
Leander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:08 pm Reply with quote        
I like... non-anime art. xD;

I'm a big fan of the Disney style and comic book style (although certain aspects of both styles grate on my nerves after a bit P: ) I'm pretty fond of pseudo-realism well. Full-on realism doesn't interest me for some reason, but surrealism is pretty impressive.

I don't like anime art because the tiny button noses and huge eyes in the generic style really bother me nowadays. It doesn't really take much skill to draw faces like that, and it's just... meh. I don't think it's cute. XD; Nothing against anime artists, though, haha. I also don't like anime expressions; I never have, even when I drew in an anime-type style. XD;

I love cartoony art, it's so expressive and free. :3
tavis harts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote        
I love anime and realism styles. The realism just because it can show ideas exactly as you want them and the anime for how expressive it can be.

Overall I think I'm drawn to illustration (because I like art to tell a story and I was always infatuated with comics) and fantasy art.

I was never a real big fan of post modern art. I'm not going to go into a rant about it tho. XD

As for mediums it's mostly computer art. For some reason I just like some of the effects I've seen others do with it as well as how versicle it can be in mimicking other mediums.
Jazzeroki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:18 pm Reply with quote        
I know for the most part I'm a huge fan a realistic or anime style art. I just don't like it when things get warped away from being recognizable. I never did think Picasso was any good for example. Most are created by depressed maniacs well is nothing but depressing and revolting to me.

There's been some real classic fantasy pictures though that I tend to think are timeless. I just wish I could remeber the names of some of the artists. Back in grade school I was introduced to some art by a fantasy artist that did such provocative work that stories were written about his work. There was one piece that I remember in particular that I would love to find again. What I remember about the piece is that it depicted a large harp next to a stream in a forest. It just looked so out of place there that it made you wonder why a harp would end up there. If anyone knows this piece I would appreciate it if you would tell me.
ecco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:00 am Reply with quote        
i can appreciate most art... but my favourite is probably simple things, like illustrative i guess. i love digital art, photography and illustrations done with markers are always super pretty o.o <3

as for modern art... i think a lot of it is crap, but some of it is pretty cool. i think the ones i like are installations... tho im not entirely sure if im using the term correctly.
strawbryshuichi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote        
I prefer drawing with pencils, and actually I'm not so fond of coloring but force myself to do it anyways. As far as taste goes...I'm not sure...I like a bit of everything, safe for Cubism...I'm just not...into that.

Art Gallery is Open. Art Shoppe is Open.

Berlin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:22 pm Reply with quote        
I find that I like very many different styles. I like the perfected realism of the Renaissance. There is also something about Impressionism that I just love. If I had to pick a favorite, it probably would be Impressionism. The Surrealism was okay. I hate most of the color choices in those paintings. Rubs me the wrong way is all. Hyper Realism is pointless in my opinion.

As for the digital art world... I prefer a Disney-esque to more realistic style. Anime can be nice, but it has hindered my own art style so much, that I have lately been growing to dislike it more and more. Especially since joining and art college and taking my first Life Drawing class. I was lucky to get out of that early. Some of the kids in my class had a real hard time drawing a real human.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:11 pm Reply with quote        
I can appreciate a lot of styles of art, like impressionism and surrealism, but realism is generally my favorite being that I'm an scientific illustration nut. xD; I'll take it in any media, though personally I only tend to work in pencil/charcoal, pen, acrylics, and oils--pastels are the devil medium, so I respect those who can make it work. But I sure can't. >>
aerieyena

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote        
Leander wrote:
I like... non-anime art. xD;

I'm a big fan of the Disney style and comic book style (although certain aspects of both styles grate on my nerves after a bit P: ) I'm pretty fond of pseudo-realism well. Full-on realism doesn't interest me for some reason, but surrealism is pretty impressive.

I don't like anime art because the tiny button noses and huge eyes in the generic style really bother me nowadays. It doesn't really take much skill to draw faces like that, and it's just... meh. I don't think it's cute. XD; Nothing against anime artists, though, haha. I also don't like anime expressions; I never have, even when I drew in an anime-type style. XD;

I love cartoony art, it's so expressive and free. :3

I totally agree!
I drew anime art when I was younger, but I feel like I've gone beyond that and evolved into a better more cartoon-y style. I love the expressiveness and exaggeration of cartoon styles.
I think my style has been heavily inspired by comic books, Disney, and Don Bluth.
I exaggerate body types. I usually draw women with very tiny hips and large hips, the pin-up kinda body. And I love love love faces, 'specially noses.
But, yeah cartoon = love. Happy

Oh yeah, I mostly pixel, but I draw too from time to time. :3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote        
i really need to start drawing more cartoony stuff xD it is often the most fun to look at, so surely the most fun to draw, also~