Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Music & Lyrics
Goto page 1, 2  Next
newdivision

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote        
Do you think it's okay to download music for free, or should it be bought on a CD or from a place like iTunes? And is it wrong to lend a friend a CD to copy songs?

I listened to a lot of cds before I had mp3 players, and the radio. I made lists of songs that I liked in a notebook. On birthdays and Christmases, I recieved iTunes giftcards and bought some of the songs on the list, but had more remaining. I downloaded Limewire to get songs, and then it stopped working. Then I used a program that converts Youtube videos to mp3 format, to put on our mp3 players.

After hearing a news story about a lady charged with huge fines for stealing music, and coming in contact with musicians through forums and myspace, I realize that it's important to support musicians and artists by buying their music legitimately. But it's very tempting to get music for free at a good quality, instead of paying for an album or a song.

Shop at my store!:
http://midorea.com/viewtopic.php?p=144435#144435
Miyani-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:20 pm Reply with quote        
      I currently use Limewire to download some songs. But now I'm totally against it.
      Right now, I'm trying to convince my parents to let me buy CDs myself. I mean, they can still use Limewire if they still want to, but I just want to buy the CDs and support the artists.
      Unfortunately, my dad isn't wanting me to do that. He says that I would probably be wasting money. D:
      Convincing my dad is sort of hard, so its unlikely that I would be able to buy any CDs. But I still am trying to tell my dad the cons about downloading free music. :c

hey mang.
I'm Christian! I'm loving it bbycakes.
newdivision

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quote        
That's the problem with buying Cds, a lot of times they are expensive. Itunes just raised its prices on some songs, which are now 1.30 $.

Lately, what I've been doing is downloading songs that I like, but not absolutely love. For those, I buy the album because I like all the songs by that artist and I want to support them.

Movies are having the same problem. DVDs aren't being sold because of online piracy. Neutral

Shop at my store!:
Miyani-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote        
      Is it required to have an iPod to use iTunes? Because I use an mp3 to store all my music.

Hmm, that's a good idea. o wo
      My dad said that sometimes when I buy a CD, you would probably only enjoy a few songs, and not the whole album. But I'm trying to tell him that I am trying to support the artist, but unfortunately he doesn't really like the artist itself, but likes the music. . -.

Yeah. I feel bad for the companies...

Uh oh. My Windows Media Player isn't working now. D:
      Now I can't play my music through the computer like that. ; 3;
      Youtube needs to be my source of music for now... > <

hey mang.
newdivision

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote        
There are other ways to buy music other than Itunes. Zune (my mp3 player) has a music store and I know a few others. They usually have better deals so I think I'll try those.

Shop at my store!:
Miyani-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote        
      Ooh, that's good.
      I think iTunes only raises its profits because its popular. > .>

I think I have to go to certain places to buy CDs, since most of my favorite artists are Asian. I can't really find many CDs of them depending on the store.
      e .e

hey mang.
VampireSoul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote        
I download songs on Frostwire, it's looks exactly like limewire except it's blue and doesn't have any of the spywere limewire does.
I am not going to lie and say that I don't understand the wrongfulness of using a free downloading program, but I really don't have another option. I use an MP3 player, I hardly listen to CDs anymore. There is a paid version of Frostwire as there is limewire called Frostwire Pro, but a good amount of money is a luxury when it comes to me because that is not too often, so I can not really pay for the Frostwire pro, and in addition I once tried to put the Twilight movie(no comment please this is not the topic, and I don't want to hear it, I don't care what you think of me liking it) on it with an itunes code my DVD came with but it didn't work. So I am pretty sure itunes is only compatible with ipods.

I would like to return to a subtle mention I made earlier for those limewire users not to bash but just to friendly warn, that Limewire is not a safe program. My mom's laptop once had a crash and when she took it to the Geek Squad which is a computer diagnose and repair team, the lady there told her that the problem was most likely caused by Limewire because it's filled with spyware and other harmful files. It made sense to me, I had a desktop crash about the same way actually, a few years ago which contained Limewire Pro, and coincidentally it had been one of two suspects in my mind.

After my mom told me this information from the Geek Squad I did a spyware scan and sure it enough it filled to the top with Limewire, limewire, limewire, limewire, limewire. And I did the scan test when I installed Frostwire and it was clean. I just thought I would share that to help you keep your computer safe.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:20 am Reply with quote        
Well, One it's Illegal and two some software may harm your computer...

I record my stuff from youtube and rip the audio off of it... but it's mostly Soundtrack to games which are hard to find in the UK and I refuse to Use iTunes!

"It has to do with a bizarre concept called democracy, in which ruling power is given to whoever is most skillful at directing the herd instincts of the largest masses of their most ignorant citizens." Nom Anchor, somewhere in the NJO Books...
RinaDasler

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:40 pm Reply with quote        
I didnt buy any CD last 5 years I think. Everything I can download in internet for free. Also I better pay 30$ per year for a good anti-virus than 15$ per CD with 10 songs on it Roll Eyes
And yes i love itunes - its cheap, fast and its ready to go into my music library. I can buy only 1 song which I like not with another 14 which I prolly wouldnt like - so why to pay for them too Smile
Lily Cat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote        
You don't have to own an iPod to use the iTunes store. Bouncy Heart

I like to get my music legitimately. I'd rather pay money for the real deal, rather than something that might not be 100% right. Free downloads might harm my computer or the music industry.

I haven't for a while, but I like buying actual CDs because it's kind of like a souvenir of that artist/band.

I'd only ever get a song or album for free if the artist is sharing it for free. Regardless of whether they make 1c or $5 per CD, I'd rather get my music in the form the artist wanted to share it.

Also, just because you can hear music for free on the radio, TV, or internet, doesn't mean you can own that copy. It's a different kind of ownership, but I'll spare you all the technical details.
heyy13

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote        
I download things for free from the net to see if i like them. Then if i do they go on my too buy list, and i buy the CD when i get the funds. Happy

I hate download quality of the music, i must have my music on cd if i'm a fan. <3

By Kaishi who is just the love. Seriously. <3
Maeve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote        
I think it's ok to lend CD or download music to "check it out". You know, just to see how it really sounds and all. Though obviously, if you like them and are going to listen to them more then once, I think it's just normal that you pay for it, either by downloading it from a site where you have to pay something (itunes and others) or by buying the CD.

The way I see it, id your favorite artist can get enough money from his art because everyone is downloading his work for free, he will probably just get a real job and won't have as much time to spend on making awesome music for you. Wink

Maverik

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:23 am Reply with quote        
x.x Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who are more inclined to download music than to buy the CD. While I do buy a few on occasion, Limewire and torrent programs are how I tend to get songs.

With that being said, though, I'd say that it's still okay to get download music. In the end, people will still buy the music in question, because there will still be a market for the music.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote        
I listen to a lot of Japanese music, and the CD's are always so expensive online. :C But I'm a huge fan of classical music too...and those composers have been dead for a good 200+ years...so they don't really benefit from people buying their music, I figure.

In conclusion, I like to download it. But occasionally I will buy the CD.
heyy13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote        
I'd just like to mention there are alot of obscure bands that are greatly helped by pirating and filesharing as it gets their music which otherwise wouldn't be heard out there too a larger audience. *just a thought*

Oh god now i have Gnarles Barclay in my head. D:

By Kaishi who is just the love. Seriously. <3