Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic I hate how some people demand respect from others.
Iregyura

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:35 pm Reply with quote        
I think that you should respect people like this:
Little kids
Elementary School students
Middle School Students
High School students
College Students
Young Adults
Adults
Adults past the age of 45 (Or something like that)
Elders (Age past 60)

I mean, it doesn't mean that little kids don't get any respect at all, but it's just less than one of an elderly woman with much more wisdom. Plus, in a traditional Chinese/Taiwanese family, the youngest kids still eat last. I guess it's just the way things are. Older people lived longer and learned more things, so they should get more respect that, say, a 5 year old. Yup, so this is MY understanding of the respect...But still, you should NEVER force respect from others as well.
Paris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote        
I think if your grown and mature, giving respect to everyone is common sense. No one should ever force you to give respect, especially if someone is disrespect. But being the better person, you should never stoop to their level and personally I'd take my respect down a notch.

Everyone deserves respect, it's personally up to them to keep it.
la Acuatico

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:25 pm Reply with quote        
I totally agree. I hate it when people think the world revolves around them and that they should have so much respect. I give people the basic respect you would give anybody, then the rest they have to earn it. I base it upon their actions, character traits, and their impression I have on them. People shouldn't demand respect because, really? They expect me to give them as much respect as Kungfucious or someone? No way! So that pretty much concludes this topic, kind of (for me.) RESPECT is EARNED, not GIVEN!!

That's what I believe is right!

Edit:
Iregyura wrote:
I think that you should respect people like this:
Little kids
Elementary School students
Middle School Students
High School students
College Students
Young Adults
Adults
Adults past the age of 45 (Or something like that)
Elders (Age past 60)

Wow! That's like a pyramid of respect or something! Good job!!
dies Veneris

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:18 am Reply with quote        
I think that there should be a certain extent to respect. It shouldn't be demanded, since they have no right to be treated like a long-known friend. However, they should be given basic respects, and the rest should be earned. I also don't like it when they think they should be given so much attention and respect when they don't reply it at all. It just really makes me mad. People trying to steal respect? Ridiculous. *o*
NeoDarklight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote        
I don't think anyone is in a position to be demanding respect. All respect should be earned through ones actions. I have seen proof that 40+ year olds can be as immature as your stereotypical 6 year olds. However, that does not mean that they are without merit. Also, I have known of people who can be described as both worthy of respect and total dumb***es. I wish I could list them, but I neither know their names nor wish to discredit them. But I digress. My point is, no one should ask for respect, but they can be given it if you believe they deserve it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote        
I fall into the category of "respect is earned". My usual show of respect is a lack of violence, with an exception for the doddering whitehairs that are moving still by the Grace of God (and don't try to hit me with a cane). I actually give more to young children than most adults - the little ones usually aren't getting through life by lying after all.

I have found that age has nothing to do with respect, nor does position. Doctors, deans, lawyers, judges, and police officers all rate high on my [insert profane description here] list. Anyone who insists on a title based on some illusionary merit has a very good chance of being called one - "jackass" is my usual title of choice. I have found that the more important a person is in some organization, the bigger of a waste of time and oxygen they typically are. Anyone who rates a titled desk plaque rates suspicion.

Then again, my spiteful way is learned behavior. Society nurtured every iota of my beliefs, since I was raised to show respect to everyone and essentially put myself last at all times. The world has proven unworthy - time and again. Both trust and respect now have to be won from me with repeated effort and can vanish in a flash.

elliryanna55

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote        
I agree with you you seem to have a good grasp on respect I dont like it when adults demand respect from me or when people my age demand it either especially if they dont respect me I respect other people just as long as they respect me then every thing will be alright Smile
TGPretender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote        
I believe basic respects are a given to everyone unless they show themselves unworthy of it. I find this problem most with adults towards children, teens, and young adults.

Age should not be a factor in whether or not you teach another person as a thinking being. Even a five year old should be treated as a person and not an immature thing that cannot think for themself. (It has actually been ruled in court that children above the age of four are responsible for their own actions when not goaded by a parent and can actually be charged with crimes.) In the same respect, young people should show respect for their elders for as long as that elder acts the same way. Just because someone is old, and perhaps in your mind outdated, doesn't mean that respecting them is irrelevant.

I was taught to show respect to get respect and that if someone does not respect me, I have no obligation to respect them in return. I think it's all a matter of doing right by others but not allowing yourself to be trampled.
Lady Lyria

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:19 pm Reply with quote        
I actually very rarely state my age out of fear of being treated like a kid. Very often I am treated like a little child just because of my age, and no one pays attention to the sort of person I am and what I believe. I value my friends who are as much as 10 years older than me but still respect me as an equal. On my part, I try very hard to respect people because for some reason I think it's fun...I actually like calling people "sir" and "miss." 0_0
Kimi_Delaetus

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:13 pm Reply with quote        
I think everyone deserves respect upon first meeting--mind you, to me respect is being civil and not going out of my way to antagonize them.

No one deserves to be bowed down to upon first meeting. (If anyone mentions royalty, they shall be summarily keel-hauled.)

And older people need to remember that we (teens and anyone younger than 30) like being talked down to about as much as they do. Just because we're young doesn't mean we're stupid.

I will take your breath away
...and kill threads.

Kupsy wrote:
I'm vegetarian, I'd be a crap zombie.
Fear the wrath of the vegetarian zombie!! It will invade your vegetable gardens and turn all the cabbages into zombie vegetables! >:o
ecco

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote        
i agree.
in fact, if i ever meet a member of royalty of our country, i'll treat them exactly as i would any other stranger to me. as far as i'm concerned they are my equals - they just talk nicer and have more money.

Madam Kira

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote        
About the adults demanding respect, unless you are a close relative of mine, and I do mean close, those are the only people I have to give my respect to. Because they take care of me etc. etc.
But other people, you have my respect no matter age or whatever, until you do something to lose it. Then you are treated, not with disrespect, unless you do something to really piss me off, but as if you are no body important.
[/b]
Imaginative Sarah

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote        
I don't demand anything. Just as long as nobody gets all up in my face, or my mans face. I am all good. but otherwise.. I dont demand respect. I think it's only common curtesy to stay out of someones face when you know their in a relationship though.
Lilywhite Lilith

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote        
I do try to have respect be my default unless they disrespect me, but there are some people I know who always demand more respect then they give. For example: My boyfriend's mom always yells at him and his little brother for swearing in front of her when she swears all the time. They probably picked it up from her to start with. It's just such a double standard, especially because my boyfriends 20.
ecco

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote        
eesh I hate it when people get so hypocritical like that. I'm 20 and my parents still tell me off for swearing sometimes, but then they dont cuss all the time, so that's fair enough. if they did, i'd call them on it straight away XD

I dunno, for me politeness and courtesy are generally what I'll hand out freely, it's only just occurred to me that to have a deep respect for someone, you need to have more interaction with them than just pass them by on the street or something... *contemplates*