Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:17 am Reply with quote        
I ended up partway through a project on this at school (till I was allowed to dump the project), although it mainly focused on video games. Basically, it's not the media that's entirely at fault. It's parents not supervising their kids and raising them right. I had to do a survey as part of this project and the depressing thing is that so many under 18's (including 13-year-olds!) play games that are meant for 18s and over! THAT'S why GTA could send a kid into a shooting spree, thier parents haven't taught the kid right that what goes on in-game isn't real and should not be done in real life, and have let a kid play a game that has an age rating far too high for said kid. I talked to one of my teachers who said she made sure her kids could tall the difference between fantasy and reality, and picked age-appropriate games. The ratings are there for a reason, after all.

Sometimes, a kid can play a game too mature for them. But only if the parent knows what it is and can trust the kid with it. I played the 12+ Jak 3 when I was 11 and a half (not far off) and I still wasn't allowed to play the much higher-aged MGS games that Dad had.

A kid playing a violent game is also far more likely to be violent if there is domestic abuse within the household, in which case the games may not be making a difference themselves. All in all, I'm sure it's more down to upbringing, not the media itself.

Video games are only the latest with this, of course, since actually books recieved a similar rap about 'corrupting the youth' when they were first available, several centuries ago. It's just a cyclic 'new media are evil' mindset.