Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
ecco

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:20 am Reply with quote        
i mostly agree except for the worrying fact that you can see evidence that some are too stupid (or whatever you want to call it) to see past fiction/reality. take insane fangirls who lust after a fictional character such as, i dont know, Edward Cullen or something and take their obsession so far into the real world that they would harm someone that said anything against him or tried to tell them theyre mistaken. i mean jesus, Robert Pattinson could of died cos of the crazy fans that chased him across a street, he almost got run over by a taxi! and im pretty sure those fangirls are in fact for the character, not him as an actual person.

now im not trying to start some sort of twilight-hate-fest here - its just an example, the first one that came to mind, and its recent therefore relevant.

Menmeth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:31 pm Reply with quote        
I firmly believe that stupidity has nothing to do with their behavior. People acted the same way over Elvis and he was not a fictional character or portrayed by an actor (your opinion on his acting is another matter entirely). Stupid people do stupid things that has little to do what the world around them. They may follow the crowd like a good sheep, or they may walk off the top of a twenty story building and kindly remove themselves from the gene pool.
Fork

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote        
This is what I think about Media's effect on children.

HELL YES

Have you seen BET lateley?

All they do is rap about women, sex, Money, and Weed.

And emo music. OMG. It tells kids to cut themselves when they get down.

Rock music is like, ROAR! SMASH A GUITAR!

Well what I am saying is, Children are impressionable, they are innocent and a bit of influence can easily ruin it. A famous person is someone who kids and even adults look up to. They use this strategy to sell products. like gatorade, nike, hell, even jordans. If Roseanne made jordans then noone would wear them because there would be a little fat chick on the shoe instead of a tall bald guy.

Im just saying that the media does have a bad effect on children. Now people used to escape through reading, which noone does anymore, they just go look it up online from people who have read the book. And even worse, people corrupt the minds of kids through romance books, and such. Even the most beloved and innocent-perceived cartoons. They all express Hate, Racism, Prejudice, Greed, Drugs, Alchohol. Nothing is safe for the minds of the children. So what parents need to do is make sure this doesnt over consume the kids. But without ruining the kids.
Vixie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:04 am Reply with quote        
why yes, yes it is.
i blame nowerdays music and miley cyrus.
the music because there showing woman as sex objects, saying that its ok to dress like a complete slut and show the whole world your "bits", its also promoting underage drinking, sex and drugs.

Miley Cyrus because of all the above, shes pretty much the queen of sleeze now. Young girls look up to her as an icon but she is NOT a good role model at all. pole dancing is NOT art!

click the egg
saiyouri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote        
It depends. If the child is special, like has some disability no matter who small and innocent it maybe, they should be highly monitored with what they see. Example: my son loves army things but he doesn't really have the time anymore to play military games like he used to because it began to make him more violent. So now he isn't allowed to play them as much, he is alot better.

I am not sure if it infulences kids but it does have a huge impact on our society. So that is my concern, is the impact techonology has. Not media influencing kids. I am concerned about that but it isn't as bad, because that is something I can control.

Lilleah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:23 pm Reply with quote        
I dont have cable for this reason actually, i do NOT want any of my children being tv drones, trust me movies are bad enough for my 5 year old. My boyfriends ex corrupted him with hannah montana and spongebob. i mean why on earth would you turn on a tv to destract a child from you so you can go F*** around on the internet with other guys you turned it into a ritual.... great parenting doncha think so now we have just movies and hes the only one that is that interested in them the others would rather play with blocks.

parents will let their kids watch the news but not play violent video games, whats the difference? how many murders do you see on the news, rapes, kidnappings, burglary crashes pile ups, and you let your kids watch this even better parenting for being a hypocritical ass.

my opinion keep the violence at a minimum cuz i know myself how hard it is to tell your kid he cant play with his transformers cuz the movies violent, he likes the toy hasnt really seen the movie. so just cut down with the kids and the tv it can really screw with em.
hiei

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 pm Reply with quote        
Keito wrote:
But that's not to say you shouldn't use blocks/filters on your TV and internet. That IS being responsible. And by any chance your child does get there hands on a game/movie or something that they're not ready for yet... Discuss it with them and make sure they understand reality/fantasy, right/wrong about it, etc.

This is how I feel as well, you really nailed it Keito.

I feel this is the root of the problem today. Parents use all forms of Media (YES, Video Games are a Media as is Anime) as a cheap babysitter then blames it in a fizzy fit when their child does something stupid.
Kliz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote        
Is media corrupting our society, children, adults, etc?

Hmm.. complicated issue.

I think the media is polluting our minds and tearing apart families, without a doubt. But it's only a small piece of society's problem. Removing all the media is not going to fix anything.

Adults are just as much to blame as kids.
Even with all the statistics, people don’t change their lifestyles.

Possible Exaggeration ] Everyone thinks they’re above statistics. [ /Exaggeration

I think the bottom line is:
It really doesn’t matter. People as a whole are not going to throw out their media. And we are the most marketed generation ever right now, as the next generation will be later. SO much effort, time, money, jobs are spent trying to influence you to buy what they are selling.

Products, activities, and ideas are being shoved in your face daily, it’s hard to escape and it’s hard to blame people for being influenced.

All we can do is the best with what we’ve been given and what we consider to be true.

Raz

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote        
I believe it does.

recently the show iCarly played an early episode again and i was fortunate enough to see it. The older brother set his apartment on fire while cooking dinner and after the firemen put it out you see two of them walking down the steps. the first, being white simply gave a report on the damage and recommended he buy a fire extinguisher. the second one, being black was taking slow bounce leg-spread apart steps holding his helmet upside down. when he gets to the older brother, he takes a bite of a dark brown and black substance that's in his helmet and says: "MAN...*crews*... This is suuum guuuud chicken!" and struts off.

correct me if im wrong, but what is the purpose of portraying such a negative racial stereotype to children on Nickelodeon?

ANother example i have is the massive and negative portrayal of arabs.
Aladin (and many many MANY other films) portrayed the arab people as funny looking, dimwitted, violent, and greedy people.
I even watched a documentary about hollywoods portrayal of arabs and it stated the out of over 1100 films involving arabs, less than 50 of them portrayed arabs in a neutral light, and less than 10 of those portrayed them in a victimized (and more realistic) state.

And one of those portraying them as victims completely turned around and did the opposite. The victimized arab crowds seen in the beginning of the movie, were shown in a flashback as all carrying ak-47's under their robes and pulling them out and attacking american marines. There was even an 8 year old child that was shown in the beginning as innocent, weak, and helpless. but in the flashback she had a ridiculously hateful face and was shooting a 9mm pistol at marines!

I only bring this up because i have heard one conversation in my entire life that was actually about "true" arabs. other than this ive never seen people regard arabs in ANY humane way. its almost as if we're programmed from an early state in our childhood when watching disney movies to think of arabs as all terrorists and completely inhuman.

sorry about the wall of txt D:

ecco

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:37 am Reply with quote        
I can understand what youre saying raz and for the most part i agree, the only thing i disagree with is Aladdin - I watched it hundreds of times as a kid and i have no negative feelings towards arabic people. Disney movies portray every race as both beautiful and good morally (the heroins) and greedy, evil etc as well... ie the villains. cartoons i think can be dangerous territory in the way they charicature people of every race, but i dont think theres any real harm in Aladdin, at least.

I agree with everything else you said, tho. particularly the negative respresentations of black people in the media, TV and film in particular. they need to start writing better characters for all races, to be honest.

The Emo Duck

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote        
I definitely feel like playing off of race stereotypes in children's shows is bad because they are impressionable and it could set bad examples for them.

I do feel like the media influences children but if parents and authority figures they are close to set a good example it can usually cancel out most of what they learn from tv. Children learn from observation, if they see someone else do it they think it's okay to do it themselves, which is where the media and tv shows really come in. I feel like tv channels need to be aware of what they show and who watches them. Like on cartoon network, which is geared towards children, there was a show where these kids were blowing things up and crushing things. And one where these kids were roller blading on an airplane and setting things on fire. It was on around 8 so not all children are to bed at that time, and it wasn't even a cartoon....which cartoon network used to be all cartoons, but that's a whole different debate entirely.

I don't think it's just up to the channels to monitor what they are showing at what times, but also up to the parents to watch what their kids are watching. My mum gave me and my brother a list of appropriate channels when we were younger and if she saw us watching a channel that wasn't on the list she would inspect what we were watching and if it wasn't appropriate she would take some privilege away and eventually we learned to stick to the list. And now we can watch what we like because we are older. But parents definitely play a role in letting the media corrupt children, many say they are "too busy" to watch what their children are seeing but I don't think that's a valid excuse.

So basically what the wall of text is saying is that I think the media plays a role in it but only because we allow it to.

Now there is a part that we can't avoid, what they hear at school or with their friends, I learned all of my curse words and bad things at school. I wasn't exposed to them until I reached middle school in any way at all, then my classmates started using them and I learned them that way and I began using them to fit in. But we can't really control what they learn at school. And it's possible that many of the kids who use these words or get these ideas are from watching television, but it could also be from a bad home life. It just seems to me like it's the only factor that can't be controlled.

alix the dorkk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote        
Ohh goshh.. I, myself, am a teenager, And even i see medias affect on teens. All these rapp songs makes us feel like it okay to take advantage of women. They make us feel like breaking the law makes you look cool. When really, its pretty dumn. Drugs are overrated these days. People try to get me and some friends to smoke quite often, but until we find a decent reason too, im not touching the stuff. Media makes drugs seem gloriouse and wonderful but they have negative affects as well.
evercharmer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote        

I don't think the media is to blame at all. What is acceptable to show on
the television is a result of what we're accepting in real life.

The parents are the ones that should be teaching their children. Too often
today are children not taught right, for example, it's not unusual for me to
see kids walking in the middle of the street, glaring at cars as if the car
does not belong.

Had that child's parent stopped at one point and said that they shouldn't
do that, they would at least thing twice about it. But they don't. The
attitude that it takes a village to raise a child is an example of this. No,
parents. It's not everyone else's job to teach your kid right from wrong.
It's yours.

As for how media influences children, again, parents should teach children
how to pull facts from fiction, and they should try to instill in their child the
want to know the truth. But instead, the parents are hypnotized zombies
themselves. Shawn of the Dead, anyone?

It's the network's right to say what they want, at least here in America.
They're privately owned, and really we can't say what they can't say. Just
because people are stupid doesn't mean they need to stop, people just
need to get smart or a whole lot of bad is fixing to commence.

(As a side note, I find that Fox News actually has pretty objective news
reports, and I do respect some of the reporters, because they do their job
properly. Most of the people who say it's all skewed don't watch Fox News
themselves. I kind of have no choice, my family is a bunch of
conservatives, so it's always on. Don't get me wrong, though. The
morning and afternoon/night blocks are all opinion shows based on the
news, but middle of the day is fairly clear of that. I don't know if I'd call
them fair and balanced, but they're doing pretty good with the reporting
side of things. I can't comment on other networks, I don't watch them. I
probably should sometime, but it drives me crazy enough to have to listen
to Neil Cavuto and Ann Coulter as it is.)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote        
I believe it is a mixture. The media does have bad things on it that children should not watch, but MORE IMPORTANTLY there are parents who do nothing to supervise what their children watch. Some parents also never teach their children the difference between reality and fantasy. One such tragic case was a young boy wanting to imitate Naruto and buried himself under one foot of sand. The boy ended up suffocating to death. Yet the parent never taught the child that what happens in cartoons cannot be done realistically in reality, and that such things should never be tried. Instead she tried to sue the TV company that aired Naruto.

You can blame the media all you want, but if you aren't teaching your children and monitoring them, in the end, you are the one ultimately responsible for not setting rules and boundaries.
elliryanna55

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote        
I dont think the media is corrupting children I think that at the age of i dont know about twelve(if not earlier) they should know right from wrong already y'know..........killing and things are wrong but the thing I dont understand is the need to be pretty(the models and things) the models are showing young girls that they need to be pretty when they dont they just need to be themselves (okay that sounded cheesy Confused )