Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Smoke to calm stress and chronic headache?
Not Acceptable
68%
 68%  [ 47 ]
Yeah, if it will help
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
Other - please comment
13%
 13%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 69

DistortedBrwain

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 4:33 pm Reply with quote        
Thanks for the avi compliment glimpse. ^^

I tried to quit cold turkey once, I managed 3 months, 3 horrible months. It wasnt the best time to try and quit either since I was mentally very unstable at that time. (Depressed, lots of trouble at home and with my friends and at school as well)
I always hear people saying gradually quitting doesnt work, but I dont know, I could try I guess, but every cig I deny myself is hard lol

I think the key to quitting is that you really want it. and I didnt, I quit together with my mom, I more did it so she would quit, to support her. then I found out she had started again in secret, lol cuz i always walked the dog before we went to bed, suddenly she insisted on walking him every time When she got back she was always having some mint candy or something in her mouth.
She wouldnt sit next to me anymore, and well I just thought it weird. so when she left for bed I checked her pockets and purse. yeah I felt guilty after, but I found ciggaretes and a lighter in them. So I got one, and smoked it lol thinking well if you started again, and me holding on just to support you then screw it, I aint gonna go through this hell anymore then. lol

You should do it for yourself, and really want it. I think thats the key. ^^

I dont think trying just one would do any harm, if you just restrain yourself from trying it a second time. and by once I mean just one cigarrete.

Well I started smoking out of curiousity. Most people start smoking because their friends do, or they want to be accepted in a group of "cool" people who smoke. But I didnt, I just got a pack of cigs with my best friend to try and we smoked it together in secret. Then we started to do it more and got addicted. I never smoked at school, since I didnt think it cool.

The people I know, or met, just happened to smoke but I also have a friend who doesnt.
But there is a bond between smokers, since were all in the same boat, and smokers do connect though, because they smoke. Like you got a pub and youre not allowed to smoke in them anymore, so you go outside, to smoke, and find 2 other smokers, and since you all smoke you start to chat. Feeling bonded since youre all out in the cold to be able to smoke. XD
glimpse

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:10 pm Reply with quote        
No problem, Distorted! (:

3 months is actually a long time when the addiction is so strong! But I agree it's probably better to try quitting when you're not only stable emotionally, but financially as well. [money is so stressful sometimes]

And it's totally true that you should do it for you, not for people that want you to [or to support people who are trying]. Sure it's nice to support people, but it's nicer to be honest with yourself. (:

I think I'd probably buddy up and smoke with a friend. If I smoked my first cig by myself I think it would start to feel like a secret and that might fuel me to keep smoking. With a friend, I have someone to talk to about it. And it's out there, public. Not a secret.

Oh! So there is a kind of bond there! Well maybe that's why groups like AA work. Because they're all trying to quit together and they all know what the other is going through.

& LOL The icy bond of outside smoking Bouncy Heart

Wondering why I'm

NAKED???

Check back after the event for

The First Ever Naked Day Celebration!
Carpe Diem

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote        

I don't smoke nor do I plan to anytime in the near future. I can't stand the smell of smoke, it's nasty. However I don't condemn those who do smoke. It's their choice.

DistortedBrwain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote        
Glimpse:
yah 3 months was a long time and it was hell haha

Watch out though, trying to smoke one cig with a friend, because they might be like, lets try another one, and pull you in on it. Since I tried out smoking with my best friend as well and look where I am now. XD

Yeah I guess you can compare it to the AA XD Or with people who go to talkgroups who all have been abused or something. You know what it is like so you can emphasize the best with one another. ^^
SasorizaKitty

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:52 pm Reply with quote        
Whether you decided to smoke or not, please be a polite smoker!

I have yet to find such a thing (no offense to any smokers here that are polite).

But please do us non-smokers a favor and:
1. Don't smoke around us! A lot of us can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. I'm "allergic" to it myself and if I inhale even the slightest amount, I feel like its stuck in my lungs all day and I can't get it out. Plus, it makes our clothes smell like cigarette smoke as well. I've gotten into so many cars and had people light up a cigarette while I'm suffacating in the back seat. Can't you smoke before getting in the car or afterwards?
2. Don't smoke around children or pets. Why would you do this? I see so many smokers just puffing cigarettes in their 3-month old baby's face! Why?!
3. Don't throw your cigarette out your car window. Why litter like that? There's no good reason behind it.

Sorry about the rant! ^__^ Those are just some things that I've always wished I could tell those rude smokers. Guess I just had to get it off my chest.

Beautiful artwork by Aaya-Tan! The character Frey Malik belongs to SasorizaKitty.
Veriantor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote        
I use to smoke but I quit a couple of years ago. I was stupid I waned to smoke cause I thought it would help me with stress but once I think about it. Smoking made it worse cause I keep thinking I need to smoke and I would go crazy with out a smoke it took most of my money. I'm glad I quit. I feel better without smokeing.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote        
I am sorta pressed for time right now (I have work in about an hour and still need to get ready) so I can't read the entire thread... forgive me if this is a little redundant.

Do not smoke. Even if it's only a little at first, you will become dependent on it. My father smokes and is currently trying to quit - it's very, very hard. Doing harm to your body is not going to be the solution, it will just compound the problem.

I have two kinds of chronic daily headaches and stress-related anxiety, so indulge me for a moment while I play doctor.
One kind of my chronic headaches (which is actually diagnosed as such) is treated with low-dose topomax, and it works wonders. This is the kind that more in the front/top of your head and feels kind of like someone stabbing you. If you have that, just go to the doctor.
The other one is caused by TMD, which I can't help, so I just soldier through it - though I find tension headache meds work well. If your headaches are caused by the stress, which is not unlikely, you might have TMD from clenching your jaw (if your jaw pops a lot or gets stuck that's a pretty good sign). The headaches are around the sides of your head, and often in the sides of your face and into your neck. They suck.

For the stress, you can also get anxiety medication if it is bad. If you don't want to take that route (which I understand, I was on about 6 or 7 different medications at one point), there are alternatives. Exercise and meditation are great stress-relievers. I would also suggest taking yourself away from whatever is stressing you - if you can - for about a day or so and doing something fun or relaxing just to give yourself a real break.

Ok, gotta go get ready for work. :<
DistortedBrwain

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:26 pm Reply with quote        
SasorizaKitty wrote:
Whether you decided to smoke or not, please be a polite smoker!

I have yet to find such a thing (no offense to any smokers here that are polite).

But please do us non-smokers a favor and:
1. Don't smoke around us! A lot of us can't stand the smell of cigarette smoke. I'm "allergic" to it myself and if I inhale even the slightest amount, I feel like its stuck in my lungs all day and I can't get it out. Plus, it makes our clothes smell like cigarette smoke as well. I've gotten into so many cars and had people light up a cigarette while I'm suffacating in the back seat. Can't you smoke before getting in the car or afterwards?
2. Don't smoke around children or pets. Why would you do this? I see so many smokers just puffing cigarettes in their 3-month old baby's face! Why?!
3. Don't throw your cigarette out your car window. Why litter like that? There's no good reason behind it.

Sorry about the rant! ^__^ Those are just some things that I've always wished I could tell those rude smokers. Guess I just had to get it off my chest.

Some good points I as a smoker myself, agree with. I dont consider myself a rude smoker so I am not offended, but I just wanted to reply to it. XD

There was a day where i didnt smoke, and I hated the smell so I understand it is suffocating when someone is smoking near you.

Whenever I know someone doesnt like it or can't stand it, ( and when i dont know I ask), and if they dont like it, even if they come to my own house, I do not smoke, or I go to the kitchen which is in a seperate room and I smoke with the window open.

I also never smoke in my car when there is a non-smoker in the car, or I do when they say they dont mind. so yeah I do smoke in my car. Dangerous to do? yeah I suppose it can be, luckily in all those years I have never had any trouble with it though. Think its more dangerous to drive when drunk or stoned, or to drive way over the speed limit, or those darn peeps who dont give directions. XD I am never drunk or stoned, or drive over the speed limit, I always keep my distance with the traffic and I always give directions. I think that weighs up to me smoking behind the wheel, and the non-smokers behind the wheel who act like pigs in traffic.

In a way, non smokers, should be glad they defy the smell of cigs. How lucky they are that they are not craving for that smell. It is sad, that we smokers feel the need to pump filthy smoke in our lungs every hour or so. And that we feel horrid when we cant. While a non smoker feels how smokers feel when smoking always without having to smoke.

I never throw my cig out of the car cuz it can end up on your backseat lol that and I dont want kids, or animals to find it and perhaps eat it. Yeah cigs are all made of natural stuff but I dont think its cool if a kid or a dog or something gets it.
But that brings up a subject not having to do with smoking perse, but I also wanna tell all those damn people, who throw their plastic bottles and cellofan bags in the bushes to throw them in the trashbin plz since my dog always tries to eat them. >< And what about cats that walk outside? Really. It aint only smokers who pollute the world. XD

I never ever smoke around kids, I always go outside. I do however smoke around my pets, Well they are usually in another room or far away from me when I smoke. I would never blow smoke in their snouts, do smokers actually do that? O_O
SasorizaKitty

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah! I heard some people in class talking about how their dog was addicted to cigarettes, or at least cigarette smoke. They blew so much smoke into their dog's face that the dog became addicted and would come around every time the guy lit a cigarette! It was disgusting to hear about, honestly. I mean, destroy your own lungs, not a poor dog's!

I hate anyone who litters, honestly, not just people who throw cigarettes out. My friend decided to toss a can into the woods when we were out walking and I go so pissed. I actually walked into the woods, picked up the can, and handed it back to the guy. There's just no sense in destroying what's left of this earth.

I'll tell you what else I've seen smokers do...I've known people who refuse to smoke around their own children...but gladly will light a cigarette around someone else's child! How rude!

Beautiful artwork by Aaya-Tan! The character Frey Malik belongs to SasorizaKitty.
DistortedBrwain

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:53 am Reply with quote        
Wow yeah thats pretty sad. I guess just as there are rude smokers there are also rude-non smokers. XD

I would never blow smoke in my pets faces. That is just so uncalled for.

yeah i also hate pollution, it really ticks me off.

Wow that also makes no sense, no smoking around the own kid but smoking around other kids is just plain selfish. ><

I don't have kids of my own, but I never smoke around kids. My parents always smoked when I was a kid, they still do smoke, tried to quit several times though, but I always wonder if it influenced me being more interested in seeing what was the big deal about smoking and wanting to try it out.
SasorizaKitty

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:42 am Reply with quote        
Yeah. It's not really fair of me to exclude the rude non-smokers. There are just stupid people everywhere!!

I just tend to notice the rude smokers because they can actually bother me more, LoL!

The rude non-smokers are mostly ignored. I can't ignore cigarette smoke, unfortunately.

I saw my grandma die painfully of a lung cancer because she smoked all her life. All I can really remember about her is when she was in a nursing home, unable to get up and do anything, having to have someone watch after her always. Yet she was still smoking. I was young, but that really stuck with me. I didn't get to spend any valueable time with my grandma because cigarettes got her.

Addiction is a scary thing. I'm glad I'm not addicted to cigarettes. My biggest addiction is to Coca-Cola.

BubbleTrouble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote        
My Mom has smoked since she was fourteen and she's told me never to start. She says it's a terrible habit and she's tried hard to stop but can't, it's not surprising considering for some people cigarettes are more addictive then heroin, hard to believe but true. You should always avoid starting, even if you think one or two is ok you don't chose how or when you get addicted, or whether you become reliant on them; it's more than likely the wrong decision will come back to bite you in the ass
Transcendence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:26 pm Reply with quote        
Ok, I have thought about it and I am going through a very stressful time in my life right now. I am nearly insane with stress.

I could take up smoking or I could come online. Lets just say that in a way coming online and talking to you all about my troubles helps me become drug free. It is great.

My mom smoked my whole life, idk if i mentioned that before on this thread, but she did. It was never easy for me to take part in PE and sports at school so as a result I am just the anti exercise person that I am. That honestly cant be good for my health.

To this day even throught I havent lived with her for a year I find it it hard to breath around smokers and hard to breath when I am exerting myself because of the smoke built up from second hand smoke my whole life.

I am only now recovering. While I cant tell anyone to not smoke I ask that if not for youself dont do it for the people around you.

I am looking for art for my character. I will be willing to pay.

On gaia I am xxtaintedlips - I dont go on there much though.
Iregyura

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:05 pm Reply with quote        
Um...first of all, I believe that smoking is skipping your problems, not solving it. You are just temporarily escaping your problems. Thing is, once you come back to reality, the problems are still there. Your school projects won't just POOF and disappear. They're still there and you still have to do them. All you did was waste time while you could have been doing something worthwhile (Sorry, not trying to be mean Duh ). Second of all, once you start, you think that one cigarette is fine, so two should be OK as well. Then you go like, well, I've had my second one, and I'm not dying or anything, so a third would be OK as well, and so on. Then, before you know it, you're addicted. So, I think that you should just trash those stupid cigarettes and WORK HARD. I mean, manga and anime people (If you watch/read it) those awesome guys smoke and you think that they smoke is really cool, too bad. They're fake, they won't get lung cancer and die. Also, if you smoke and live to be like 100 years old, I don't know what to say. I'll probably say something like this; though: "Good job, you were so lucky this time. Not next time, though, because the nurse just reported that you need an oxygen tank with you." Yup, might be bit harsh, but my point is, smoking doesn't help you "cool down," or "release stress." I call it: Skipping your problems. YURA (me) convinced one person I know to stop smoking, so I hope I can help you too (If you're going to stop Sad PLEASE do.) Of course, though, he was a neighbor/classmate so I can nag him 24/7, but that's not the same for you Sad Plus, I'm not a stalker, so yup. PLEASE don't think that I'm one, because it was convenient for me to stop the guy from smoking, because I basically see him everyday (we're friends, too) and is easy to steal his cigarettes from his pocket and throw them away. (I'm glad to say that his teeth are still sparkling white, so I stopped him early...Whew.) Sweat
Graymalkin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:44 am Reply with quote        
I personally am a smoker so I would be oh I donno, on the verge of a hypocrtite if I told you "no smoking is bad". Well, so is breathing in our atmosphere now a ways, and with all the stupid people in this world smoking is definately one of the lesser evils now. Addicted is bullcarap, for me anyways, I quit for four years and I have been smoking since I was eight. I do not caer what anyone thinks, no will I ever, and why such a young age? Ah, babysitters are arseholes I suppose. It is eventually your choice in the end, don't think "oh what will people think of me", either do it or don't. Figure out what is the best choice for you. I would most likely advise you to choose another form of ridding a stress level. Well.. all the best of luck to you then.