Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Smoke to calm stress and chronic headache?
Not Acceptable
68%
 68%  [ 47 ]
Yeah, if it will help
18%
 18%  [ 13 ]
Other - please comment
13%
 13%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 69

Saturn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote        
So I had my first cigarette the other day, and I can't say I liked it too much.
Thing is it calmed my stress levels and my chronic headache down a couple of notches. It's not something I want to do often, but if I'm having a really bad week with both issues do you think it's maybe okay to have just one?

I know they're bad, I'm not going to ever smoke much cause I don't want to get addicted. Just if it's going to make me feel a little more human again.
Snowkoyuki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:41 pm Reply with quote        
Number one, no it is not okay. From my perspective smoking can lead to serious problems. Once you keep on smoking you get really addicted and then you can't stop even though you wanted to. My grandpa smoked and it was so bad that my mom never even drank anything other than water and juice. Root beer was scary to her. Beer is similar to smoking in my family and it is not good because it makes you teeth yellow. Also you basically give free money to the people who manufacture them. Buy yourself some cake instead or a nice video game. Believe me it is not worth it.
LOL UR FACE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:02 pm Reply with quote        
Snowkoyuki wrote:
Number one, no it is not okay. From my perspective smoking can lead to serious problems. Once you keep on smoking you get really addicted and then you can't stop even though you wanted to. My grandpa smoked and it was so bad that my mom never even drank anything other than water and juice. Root beer was scary to her. Beer is similar to smoking in my family and it is not good because it makes you teeth yellow. Also you basically give free money to the people who manufacture them. Buy yourself some cake instead or a nice video game. Believe me it is not worth it.

LOLWUT? Smoking is nothing like drinking alcohol. While they are both harmful to your body(cigs more in the long term), the effects that have on you are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Cigarettes making somebody scared of rootbeer sounds a little ridiculous. >.>

Take it from a smoker, there no such thing as one every once in awhile. It will start that way and you think you can keep it that way, but gradually it will take less and less stress to make you want one. I assure you. xD

BE MIZ. BE AWESOME.
Aaya-Tan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:52 pm Reply with quote        
Smoking, to me, is a lot like tobacco "dipping".

Basically it's taking a wad of chewing tobacco (that once in your mouth it looks like you're eating a clod of brown fertilizer), chewing in it for about two hours, then spitting it out.

My uncle did this to stop smoking. I personally didn't see the improvement, especially when he left his spit cans (used coke cans or whatever else he drank out of) and mugs, and cups with tissues in them everywhere.

You know how disgusting it is to drink a soda, set it down, and accidentally sip from a can of tobacco regurgitation?

Smoking is a terrible habit and it's a pretty nasty way to die. With things that are addicting, there are no taking it in strides when you start out. The only strides you take are when you're trying to quit.

I, however, agree that cigarettes shouldn't make you scared of ROOT BEER, it's not even caffienated in most brands, that's somewhat ridiculous if you ask me. I don't like sodas much, but that's mainly because I've experienced a kidney stone recently and dieting ftw much?

I say stay away from the addictive things and find some other way to relieve stress. With migraines, it's best to try and drink some fluids, water usually helps, or anything water based, nothing with a lot of sugar because you'll end up crashing afterwards. Find a relaxing habit or a new hobby, don't put a cancer stick in your mouth.

No offense to any smokers, but I feel very sorry for all of you. D: Must be horrible not being able to go a day without one of those death bombs in your mouth when you've become severely dependant on them. I'm that way with my internet. If it was cut off, I'd be devastated. lol

LOL UR FACE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:45 pm Reply with quote        
Not to mention smoking is an annoyingly expensive habit, getting even more so by the day. I am usually good about one pack lasting me four days, but many many people go through a pack day. That's like $5 a day, who knows how much a year. ._.

@Aya EEEEWWWW I could never imagine drinking somebody's spit tobacco. Chew tobacco isn't any better for your than smoking. It spares you lungs but now you have the risk of different kind of cancer and your tounge getting all furry and gross, and just some many other mouth deformities I don't even want to think about. x3x

BE MIZ. BE AWESOME.
Aaya-Tan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote        
I sort of got him back for it. I threwup in the cup so the next time he went to hack a tobacco loogie he had vomit staring him right in the face.

I mean omg it is so freakin' nasty. And it's the main reason why the man's still single. He has a kid and all, who's starting to copy him. I hope he doesn't start doing it, too. He's already a pain in my side for having my uncle's ex wife's attitude.

Personally, irl, I'm "allergic" to cigarette smoke. Basically it makes me sick to be around smokers too long. I've grown far more tolerant than I deem safe for my own health when it comes to family, but my great uncle and a few others are chain smokers. They can't talk without a cig or a smoke in their mouth or hand.

I still don't get the entire idea behind social smoking, either. You only smoke when you're talking to someone. What the hell, I think that's extremely rude. Most of the time, you put out a cigarette to talk to someone out of courtesy for their welfare, right? My great aunt does that and it annoys the snot out of me. I can't even talk to her without her lighting one. Otherwise, she doesn't smoke. She had to quit cold turkey due to having a heart attack though.

She might have lung cancer, I don't know yet, they haven't called back with the test results. It's just a really expensive, and very painful way to die in my opinion.

Want a piece of your own? Hit me up!
I've claimed LOL UR FACE. <3
.:Wishing on a Star:.
I have claimed Fuu Sho. He is my Sexy Leader Lover. No touchy.
Aay is : Still semi-hiatus'd due to life sucking so hard.
I don't pvp, so don't bother challenging.
Nemui

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote        
eugggh i hate smoking.

I have been around it my whole life and freaking hate it.
I cant stand the smell the smoke or anything related to it.
[ do you know what it does to your clothes or your walls or anything]

Frankly i think smoking to get rid of pains is just retarded.
[no offense to you this is my personal opinion]
there are plenty of other ways to get rid of pains smoking will just kill you.

And im defiantly not someone who agrees with "social smoking"
My boyfriend did that once when we went to a party, he took one hit from a cigarette and i got so flippen mad.
The fact that he did that upset me so much because he had always told me
he was against smoking. and his reasoning as to why he did it was because
he was just doing it because they kept asking him if he wanted a hit.
I didn't talk to him for like 3 days.

As far as i know of he hasn't done it since but if i found out he has, well there will be problems.my daughter is not having a smoking father and that's final.
Popsicle_.:-

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:58 pm Reply with quote        
Personally, I think smoking is a dirty habit that can not only harm you, but others around you.
My uncle smokes, and his kids and all of his families are worried for him now. Even though he reassures them that he's going to stop, he doesn't, because he doesn't have the willpower.

That's another thing-once you've started, only a few people have the willpower to stop. So think twice before you start.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:24 am Reply with quote        
While it is true smoking can reduce chronic headaches and stress levels, so can chocolate and alcohol. Frankily, you may be better off drinking a glass of wine each day than smoking a cig. Not even the cigarette companies can condone smoking, and that says something. Not only does it cost a lot to buy cigarettes, but the procedure to get lung cancer removes is even more.

Best of luck!
Divinitate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:10 pm Reply with quote        
You'll find out that it is the nicotine and other chemicals in it that do that to you. Same thing happens with coffee, which is a lot less addictive and a lot healthier for your body.

I suggest that you don't smoke, even one destroys your body. Smoke kills your lungs, even one has that power.

Try yoga. That helps with stress, or a productive thing, and for the head aches drink more water, its probably a chemical imbalance in your brain that is causing that to happen.

"My RoliMy GaiaMy Solia"
Vixie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote        
smoking doesn't always cause serious harm you know, my dad has been smoking since he was 8 years old and he's perfectly fine with no problems what so ever, it all depends on the person not the amount they smoke, you don't really seem to understand that because you believe everything your told!!! smoking isn't always a bad thing but i do hate the smell of smoke!

click the egg
Antheia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote        
I don't recommend it because of the Nicotine in that cigarette.
Nicotine is an extremely addictive drug, the only reason there's so much in there is because the tobacco companies put more than usual amounts of it in them to get you addicted, so that you'll buy more and they'll make more money.
It's ALSO got more than 2,000 poisonous chemicals in just ONE cigarette, more than 50, probably more than 100 (if I'm not mistaken) of which are cancer-causing.
They're extremely unhealthy and if you get addicted they get extremely expensive as well.
Since they just raised the price on them (i think in michigan only, not sure though) if you lived here, and smoked one whole pack a day, you would spend around $2,800+ a year on them alone. And that's money you could use for other things like groceried, bills, etc, or if you're around my age at all (14-19) and don't live on your own yet you could use that for things for yourself, save it up for a pretty nice car, or other things.

In the long run it's just not a good idea, and bad things outweigh the good by a lot, and you shouldn't put yourself at risk of all that unless you 100% need to and it would save your life.
I did a research paper on it in Health this semester, and trust me, it's not a good idea. (:
Antheia

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote        
Vixie wrote:
smoking doesn't always cause serious harm you know, my dad has been smoking since he was 8 years old and he's perfectly fine with no problems what so ever, it all depends on the person not the amount they smoke, you don't really seem to understand that because you believe everything your told!!! smoking isn't always a bad thing but i do hate the smell of smoke!

It does.
Second hand smoke coming off that cigarette to you is harming you as well, and everyone else around him.
They are all bad, and even if it seems like someone is healthy doesn't matter, they're still not, they're harming more than just themselves with the smoke.
Secondhand smoke is cancer-causing, did you know that? I doubt it.
My Aunt died last year from lung Cancer, which, by the way, is extremely painful(so I heard from her). My Dad smokes too, and it harms me as well, I tried doing track this season but couldn't because my lungs couldn't handle it, and I'm just a sprinter, I didn't even do much.
I know you'd love to think that they don't harm your dad, but they do, and they harm you as well.
Just like they've harmed me, my dad, and my Aunt especially.
Trebble Cleff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote        

It won't calm your stress.
It may seem like it in the beginning.
When the nicotine gets into you...
You'll get more chances of diseases, such as the following:
Gum disease
Lung Cancer
And of course...
Much more.
Like someone also said:
Second Hand Smoke can kill you.
Vixie, I don't want to sound mean.
But if this keeps going on...
Your father will have serious problems.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote        
I dont think smoking should be done even to relieve stress. My mom has smoked my whole life. In a way I blame her for me being born premature. It may not have been something she could have done anything about, but still. Smoking increases the chance of a premature baby.

Smoking has a lot more bad factors going for it than good. It is bad smelling and it gets you addicted no matter how much you think you wont because you will only do it a little. YOU WILL. It is better to cope with stress naturally than try to take the easy way out. In the end its better for yourself and you loved ones.