Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Art Chat
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
dreamer676

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:20 pm Reply with quote        
I think I have been to that site and left it about three different times, something like that. Most of the time because it's horrible to submit something and then find zilcho comments on it etc. Not exactly a confidence booster. There's also that anyone that does comment don't tend to provide constructive critism even if you ask for it. So Is deviantart, a friend or an enemy?

(Also does this belong here? Coz I though it was an artistic discussion, but It's also talking about a website so please correct me/move this if I'm wrong ^^')

P.S THIS THREAD IS NOT FOR FLAMING DA - just so you know ^^

Art done by Crow Happy
Raven-Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote        
It is a crushing feeling to post something and ask for helpful comments and get nothing... I do still find myself posting and uploading my stuff though.

Rai & Rae 1X1 RP
dreamer676

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:44 am Reply with quote        
yeah exactly, I'm the same actually. Sometimes it's better to post stuff there though than on avi sites because sometimes you just end up getting flamed.

Art done by Crow Happy
Mungo Boo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:00 am Reply with quote        
Well the intent is good, but people tend to abuse it. If you get a comment and know it's not true, just ignore it.
Smite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote        
I dont really like DA at all. People are uptight and ignorant most of the time. Plus I dont like there policys for uploading and displaying artwork on there site. The only reason alot of people use it at all is because there pretty much stuck with it since its the largest most recognizable site out there. Its like the gaia of the art world. They started with good intentions but when you get as big as they are things must change unfortunately.

Buying Gala of the Eloquial Dove Paying 5k silver or 40gold
Raven-Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote        
It is the Gaia of the art world! I have my own web-site, but it doesn't get the attention that DA gets... it's so lame. T_T

Rai & Rae 1X1 RP
Miss Oppai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote        
Smite wrote:
I dont really like DA at all. People are uptight and ignorant most of the time. Plus I dont like there policys for uploading and displaying artwork on there site. The only reason alot of people use it at all is because there pretty much stuck with it since its the largest most recognizable site out there. Its like the gaia of the art world. They started with good intentions but when you get as big as they are things must change unfortunately.

Damn, you took the words right out of my mouth.
I also don't like their whole illusion of trying to "help" artists, yet:

--Their print services are overpriced in that they make more royalty than the artist. For the quality of material they use, they can still pay out more on the artist's end. At least they stopped trying to charge artists to use it. (It was, like, $20 or so for a print pass)

--Their "advertising" service is what? 25 cents for one click? And limited throughout DA? Yeah, sucks. For 25 cents a click, you better be putting my ads on dA, Myspace, Facebook, AND Gaia.

--Suicide Girls. Don't get me started. dA "cleaned up" because they wanted to look good for their sponsors, and yet this is their biggest one?

--Daily Deviations are 90% anime and pasty naked women in grayscale. OK, so it's getting better, but goddamn.

--The top artists all draw fan art.

--Subscriptions. OK, I'm not actually ripping into this one. I think it's perfectly fine to give people enhanced features and help pay for all that bandwidth they go through a month. My issue is with artists who see it as the alternative to getting a website to help promote their work.

Oh no, honey.

If you're gonna be serious about promoting your work, you do not put "get a dA subscription" on your list, or at least not at the top of it. Hell, there's very few professionals these days who'll either go near the place, or will put their "quality" stuff on it.

I'm quite verbal about the dA, lol. I miss the old days where artists had to make a website and/or congregate on a forum to get their work promoted. Hell, that hasn't exactly died. (Thank god)

Edit:
Raven-Hollow wrote:
It is the Gaia of the art world! I have my own web-site, but it doesn't get the attention that DA gets... it's so lame. T_T

I'm SO glad to see people still making their own websites for their artwork. There's no place better to stick your work up. Screw dA for srs

Raven-Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:25 pm Reply with quote        
It was required to have our website up and running to graduate, mine isn't exactly up to date... but I've been busy paying off school loans by working. >_<

Rai & Rae 1X1 RP
Gwendlyne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote        
I really wish I could make my own website. I think if I did I would seriously only use DA to upload teasers. But alas I have no coding knowledge and i refuse to just use some premade crappy layout from some place online.
Raven-Hollow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:51 pm Reply with quote        
I used flash to make mine. Happy The link to it is the "Website" button down there. *Points below my post*

Rai & Rae 1X1 RP
dreamer676

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:43 pm Reply with quote        
Woah I totally left this thread too long. lol ok as to what miss oppai said I think the reason that the 'top artists' display fan art is in an attempt to get people to view their gallery. I must admit I wouldn't have found nearly half the people that I have without the fanart that they post. Also I have found portrait artists' sites every now and again but they are always completely by accident and well more often then not they arn't given the proper respect that they should. I'm talking about crazily talented people here, that just won't get a proper amount of respect for it.

Smite; True I try to give as much feedback as possible to any artist that attracts my intention there, but half the time I don't dare, because some would completely take it the wrong way.

Mungo Boo; i do agree with you to a certain extent, I mean like the little banner below you're deviation saying copyrighted doesn't stop people stealing the work. Nor will the watermark they put on it if you're really good with photoshop. No, one really good copyright thing I saw was on Alex Ross's site, that takes you off of the page even if you try right-clicking on his pictures.

Gwendlyne; I think crappy free ones with mehish layouts are all that's on offer unless you are willing to pay for a customisable webpage.I must say I have been thinking about using something like freewebs again. It's also great if like me you arn't really computer-literate XD

Art done by Crow Happy
Miss Oppai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote        
dreamer676 wrote:
Woah I totally left this thread too long. lol ok as to what miss oppai said I think the reason that the 'top artists' display fan art is in an attempt to get people to view their gallery. I must admit I wouldn't have found nearly half the people that I have without the fanart that they post. Also I have found portrait artists' sites every now and again but they are always completely by accident and well more often then not they arn't given the proper respect that they should. I'm talking about crazily talented people here, that just won't get a proper amount of respect for it.

I know; I've found some DAMN good painters that had like... less than 1k hits and had been at dA for about 6 months. It was boggling. Not that I have anything against fan art; I draw it, too. But a good artist's community should embrace original ideas more.

Regarding the free templates- using those is probably the best way to learn how to make your own. Then again, that can be really time consuming when I look back at how many hours I played with and broke apart people's CSS just to see why one value did what.

dreamer676

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote        
Oh I'm just utterly rubbish when it comes to, html and making websites and all that stuff so I just have to rely on them.

Some artists on there do seem to have a lot of pageviews for not too outstanding work, likw I have a friend whoose barely on at all and doesn't really draw or paint or anything really and he had about 3k pageviews something like that.

I am interested though. Do you reckon you could send me some links to any particular people you have in mind?

Art done by Crow Happy
Miss Oppai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:44 pm Reply with quote        
People? You mean template designers?
dreamer676

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:01 am Reply with quote        
lol no sorry I meant the painters you were saying about that have less than 1k pageviews. sorry I didn't make that too clear did i?

Art done by Crow Happy