Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Miriallia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:31 am Reply with quote        
Angelic.Demon wrote:
You always hear about depression in Health class, and how it leads people to 'bad things' in some cases. How they hurt their body to rid of the pain. When I thought of depression, I originally thought it couldn't really be that bad. So you feel upset all the time, just try and cheer up. But No when I think about it, I understand how hard it could be.

I think some people hurt themselves to get the attention they've been depraved of. Or they really are trying to get rid of the pain. It really depends on the situation.

Angelic.Demon wrote:
Do you really believe it can bring people to do drugs and/or cut themselves? What do you think is the difference between just being depressed, or being upset on something that happened to you?

Well, just watching TV commercials for stuff like "Cymbalta" or some other anti-depressant, if you listen to the side effects, they aren't too pleasant. I think that just the side effects alone could cause someone to be lead into a deeper spiral of depression. It's sad because if you actually take the time to Google the med and then look at all the different side effects, you can tell the doctors don't care at all about their patient. They're just taking advantage of someone's problems and making some ridiculously-high priced medication for something that will only make the person worse.
Nausea, drowsiness, headaches, constipation, fatigue, loss of appetite, weakness, vomiting, muscle pain...the list goes on for side effects. I don't know about anyone else, but the side effects alone would cause a person to be stressed out, and if you're depressed, you don't need all these symptoms.
I think what a depressed person needs the most is their family and friends with them. Join a volunteering group or something so they can see that they can help change someone else's life.
I suppose there can be many situations leading to depression, which is another problem: family/friends die, debt, or just general gloominess in a person's surrounding environment. Technology, most of the time, does nothing to help, either. Kids, even adults getting secluded in their own little digital world, not bothering to connect with the people closest to them, and then when something does happen and they do become depressed, they can't talk to someone about it because they wouldn't know how.

Labels are for FOOD, not PEOPLE. Punk, goth, skater, emo...those are things to describe someone. Not define them. So, the next time someone asks you are you goth/emo/etc, you say "No, I am not edible."

Love~Peace~Vladiness
emily3853

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:03 pm Reply with quote        
i think people are depressed because they are overreacting but like if something is really that serious that person should get help or talk to someone like a friend or family member
Amlynd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:29 pm Reply with quote        
As far as I'm concerned, depression has three definitions.

There's the emotion of depression, which is usually a comparatively fleeting reaction to a series of events that has caused one to basically experience a bunch of negative emotions all at once. I think "melancholy" might be a better word for this, but lots of people consider it depression, and call themselves depressed when that's how they're feeling.

But then there's a more physical depression, caused by a hormonal imbalance somewhere in your brain. It makes you lethargic, it makes you sad sometimes, it makes you no fun...and you've really got problems in your brainpan, most of the time. After seeing a couple of doctors, I know that I actually suffer from this sort of depression, but mostly (in me), it manifests as lethargy and lack of motivation, and it nearly messed up my school career. I still have a pretty healthy outlook on life, though.

Then there's the third kind, which is deeper and darker than either of the other two because it's a combination of them. Someone who is physically depressed may hang onto the emotion of depression for months and months at a time, and that's when things start to get dangerous. Imagine if your most crushing defeat in life (let's say losing your job or getting into a fight with your spouse) stuck with you for that long?

Not a pleasant thought, is it?

That's just my view on the matter, though. Your mileage may vary.
Sunstrike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote        
@ emily3853
There are so many problems in what you said that it's hard to know where to start.

For me, depression was triggered after my family's dogs died about 6 years ago, when I was about 10 years old. It was traumatizing, I was more or less abandoned by most of my childhood friends, blah blah blah. And even typing this, I'm crying. Sweat
Anyhow~ 6 years later, I am on a medication and having to deal with extreme mood swings and all those fun normal teenaged problems. To get to the point: I am not still upset beyond functioning over that one relatively minor event. Talking about it makes me sad, yes, but it does not cause a major breakdown.

Honestly, the biggest issue in depression seems to be falling apart at things that you know are small and not being able to explain why you're actually upset. It's almost funny: people see you being horribly upset over some little detail that has no real consequence when in fact, some chemicals inside your head are going haywire and you know that this particular detail means nothing but you still can't keep from throwing a temper tantrum. So very hilarious. =_=

Take from this what you will, but what I see depression as is being upset beyond what is reasonable, realizing that your own behavior is ridiculous, and not being able to control yourself.

As for drugs and self-injury... it is a way to cope, but that is too fuzzy of a subject for me. Personally, I'm on medicine and I hate the stuff, regarding it as drugs even though the doctors tell me that it's necessary; I cannot imagine turning to drug abuse on my own. Self-injury, however, seems more realistic--physical pain distracts the mind from mental pain.
ecco

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote        
Sunstrike wrote:

Honestly, the biggest issue in depression seems to be falling apart at things that you know are small and not being able to explain why you're actually upset. It's almost funny: people see you being horribly upset over some little detail that has no real consequence when in fact, some chemicals inside your head are going haywire and you know that this particular detail means nothing but you still can't keep from throwing a temper tantrum. So very hilarious. =_=

rather than temper tantrums, i would generally just break down over the slightest thing.
the best/worst example?
I have literally cried over spilt milk.

TGPretender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote        
I was diagnosed clinically depressed in my late teens. My therapist and I tried a few different drugs but I ended up with dangerous side-effects and had to just do it on my own. As evidenced by this post, I'm still around. Clinical depression doesn't just go away. It's physical, chemical, in your brain. But there are ways to cope and deal and, unfortunately, the easiest are pretty bad.

I'm lucky. Most people with major depression end up hooked on something, dead, or in really, really bad situations. It's easier to forget how bad you feel if you're in physical pain, with cutting or putting yourself in an abusive relationship, or through drug induced numbness.

I don't think most people really get what actual depression is. It's not just feeling sad. It's feeling exhausted, numb, achy, and useless. Forgetting things all the time because you just don't care enough to retain them. Sleeping for twelve, fourteen hours at a time because there's no point in getting up. It's pretty crappy, all things considering.
ecco

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote        
sounds pretty much like my experience of it. my educations been very nearly ruined by it time and time again cos i just cant bring myself to get out of bed some days. and often even if i managed that, i'd come home and just sit, feeling completely numb, unable to do anything at all. i mean i pretty much tried self-medicating with alcohol when i was what, 14, 15? not good.

im so glad im on anti-depressants now. they seem to actually be working for me.

Mock

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:00 am Reply with quote        
Any of you guys heard of the Butterfly Project? I've heard several stories about how it has helped people.

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:00 pm Reply with quote        
emily3853 wrote:
i think people are depressed because they are overreacting but like if something is really that serious that person should get help or talk to someone like a friend or family member

The biggest thing I can see wrong with this is when you don't have friends and your family are jackasses and the biggest cause of upset in life even without clinical depression.

Let me start by saying I have contemplated suicide, but it was over upset, sorrow, and pain from an unrelated part of my life. My mum, however, does have clinical depression, and it's been a big part of her life.

When she was younger, hadn't been diagnosed yet, and was still living with her parents, Mum self-harmed. It was a way of escaping the pain, a part of her own self-loathing, and possibly an attempt to get the nice attention she sorely needed that failed. My maternal grandparents were not nice.

And that's why she couldn't tak to her family. Thay were assholes, and never really did anything nice for her other than raise her.

To those who believe you can just push through, my Mum certainly couldn't until Dad began to help her. She's on prescription meds to help her depression, she no longer self-harms, but a drastic upset can cause her to become generally unhappy rather than her usual self. In these times, Dad's usually stressed as well, which is understandable as my parents are very much in love and have been for over 20 years (an acheivement, I feel, in this day and age) and their emotional happiness often hinges on each other.

It's myself, Dad, and the dogs who help Mum get through the day. She can only push through with us around and because she's on the meds. Without that, she couldn't.
Weiss

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote        
From experience before changing Getting upset was something that would occur first before I got depressed. Sometimes the other way around I'd bottle things up and then explode when I couldn't take it anymore leading into another dark state of depression... I was a sensitive person. I really don't like that memory x.x[list=][/list]