Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Chi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote        
lunexor wrote:
Chi wrote:

I think depression does lead people into cutting themselves and do drugs because they aren't mentally strong enough to withstand that pain.

I have to disagree with that last statement you made. I do agree life is work living and etcetera, but mental strength has nothing to do with it.

Some of the time, having deppression is something that is hereditary, passed on from generation to generation. And there is absolutly no way of avoiding that.

Sometimes its biology, where not enough seritonin is getting to the brain.

And other times, it is because of a traumatic experience. Can you really call someone who lost their whole life to a flood 'mentally weak?' or even someone who's father recently died?
In the cases I'm thinking about, these people are tremendousily strong, because even though they feel some days like giving up, they don't.

Having a mental disorder has nothing to do with strength of the mind, soul, or anything.
It just depends on the situation, and no one has any right to compare their lives to yours, because they don't know who you are, what you've seen, what you've done, etc.

I don't mean any mental disorder. I meant more of what you said, strong mind and heart mostly. People ends up cutting themselves because they can't handle that pain mentally ( which I mean their minds. ) and end up giving up and just doing something that will not make them think.

Hopefully I'm reading what you wrote right. ^^; If not, please do correct me.

I don't really agree with the hereditary part, but I never look it up to make sure so I can't say anything towards that right now.

well I mean if I said "I will give you money if you draw me something" would you think up something to draw?

Chu wrote:
>.>; *draws something*

Happy Chu gets money now?!
lunexor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote        
Chi wrote:

I don't mean any mental disorder. I meant more of what you said, strong mind and heart mostly. People ends up cutting themselves because they can't handle that pain mentally ( which I mean their minds. ) and end up giving up and just doing something that will not make them think.

Hopefully I'm reading what you wrote right. ^^; If not, please do correct me.

I don't really agree with the hereditary part, but I never look it up to make sure so I can't say anything towards that right now.

It is true, some people do choose to mutliate themselves due to the pain they are feeling, but often times Depression can leave you empty. Like a shell without any emotions, or with some emotions, just not the ones that you really want (ex. empathy, caring, sympathy, etc) that help you get by in life.
That leads to some people cutting just to feel alive again, an assurance that they still exsist. Those cutters are less likely to commit in the early stages, but as a depression progresses untreated, then life will seem much more empty.

Depression is very much hereditary from what I have been informed about it from a few sources (library, internet, professor, psychologist, psychiatrist, therapist) but I can't say for certain. There is so much about depression we don't know and cannot pinpoint. But often, families with depression pass it down to other generations. Like manic depressive disorder (bipolar) and schizophrenia.
But it could be an enviromental thing, which I think you may be suggesting twords. Or a mix of both.
I suppose it just really does depend.

But back to the strength of willpower/mental ability, depression isn't something you can mentally make go away on your own. There are so many factors to it, and that includes biologically. Not enough seritonin gets into your brain, causing problems. Thats honestly what depression is, and I'm not talking about those poser-emo kids and their 'depression'.
There is a difference between being sad and depressed, you know?

Transcendence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote        
I once tired hurting myself because I was depressed. It didnt work. i didnt feal the rush that people said they feel. I just felt horrible and I hate pain because I am a big baby. sometimes I think people do things just for the attention. I am not saying they always do that, but in some cases I think it is true.
Antheia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote        
Being upset all of the time.
And being overly upset over the bad things that happen.
It can lead to cutting yourself, isolating yourself, and occasionally even suicide.
I know people who, in fact, do suffer from depression.
My dad, grandfather, grandmother, mother, and even brother all suffer(ed) from ranging depression issues(my grandpa is dead).
They're all pretty severe, though. And I suffer from none.
I have all of these problems laid out in front of me, and I almost always have high levels of optimism about things.
Eventually they'll either all go away, or get better, and if they get worse, than I'll deal with that when the time comes.
My Mother drinks to keep her happiness levels normal, or above normal, and she's an extreme alcoholic.
She, in all honesty, doesn't care about her family, her only two children, and her, ex now, husband.
Her depression drove her to drink, and her drinking drove her to stealing, from my dad, me, and my brother.
I haven't heard from her in months, the last time I talked to her she said she had to go and she'd call back the next day...she never did...
She always tells me these false truths.
Saying "Oh I love you and miss you so much!"
And all I can say is "Yeah Mom, you too."
I can't, being the only one who is nice to her, tell her "You know what?! I'm so sick of you, so sick of you telling me you 'love' me, well you said you loved dad too, and look where THAT ended up, you don't love me, you only love your booze, and you're just hoping that once you're old and I've got a job that I'll take care of you and buy you more booze, well guess what 'mom', that's not happening, find your own way out of this never-ending crater you dug yourself, because I'm sick of your shit."

Dealing with a drunk for a 'mom', an abusive brother, and a father who is never around because he works his butt off all, and I mean from when the sun comes up until it goes down, day just to keep our trailer, and an overly concerned grandmother who suffers from depression issues and had major mood swings isn't an easy task, and here I am, a 14 year old girl, defeating the odds once again.

Raven-Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote        
You're very strong willed for your age, but growing up in that household I guess one would need to be. *hugs* I had an alcoholic father... I haven't heard from him in years....

Rai & Rae 1X1 RP
Antheia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote        
Raven-Hollow wrote:
You're very strong willed for your age, but growing up in that household I guess one would need to be. *hugs* I had an alcoholic father... I haven't heard from him in years....

Oh yeah, tell me about it. My grandmother tells me that all the time, and both my dad and my grandmother tell me I'm just like my great granmother, Delta Kelly.
My middle name is Kelly, I was named after her, her maiden name that is, so they definitely hit the nail on the head with that one.
-Giganto hug- Happy

Yeah..
I hear ya on that one.
I don't even recognize my own mothers voice anymore because of how little she calls. :/
People need to realize that when isolating themselves they're hurting their loved ones, in the case of your dad anyway.
I would rather not hear from my mom actually, it would be a lot better for me to just forget about her than to deal with her false truths, and broken promises.
How many years has it been since you've heard from/seen him?
It's been 7 years since I've seen my mom..
The last time I was supposed to see her was when I was 7, almost 8, on Mother's day (7 days before my birthday...)...
We brought her flowers, candy, a card, and planned on spending the whole day with her..
She wasn't there, she went to, get this, ALASKA, to see some guy and his rich parents...
I cried uncontrollably for days, because I knew she was moving to Tennessee shortly, and I would see her for a while, and at that age you don't realize that some people really just DON'T care.
And you don't understand how/why someone would do that, that and you're, usually, really forgiving at that age.
But I never forgave her for that, she KNEW we were coming..

Graymalkin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote        
Depression to me is not really 'sad'.
Sadness or being upset you can eventually move on.
Depression can come up with no reason what-so-ever.
I have lived a very abusive life, and I may not regret everything,
but I begin to wonder if there springs some of my pains.
To be honest with all of you people, who I hope none know me in real life.
I have been raped, beaten, taken to foster care,
sexually abused by my own brother when I was five,
with a few attempts as well from various boyfriends my mother has had.
Lying to the courts was a bad move on my part but it cannot be reversed.
Yes I told them that my grandmother was lying and he did not touch me.
I did not want my brother to be locked away, I loved him still.
Actually, I think I blocked that particular memory out,
the actual sexual molestation because until last year.
whilst lying in bed with my lover [ ex now ], I woke up from the dream,
and I remembered everything from that night.
I hated to remember and I hated seeing his face as he realised what happened.

Now sometimes I will just get this very heavy feeling, almost akin to despair,
but I am not sure really what to call it, I want to cry,
I want to hit something and I sometimes want to hurt myself.
I used to cut, sometimes I still think about SI but do not.
The feelings I feel when I am alone and they come up randomly,
I absolutely abhorr them, I do not understand it and there was
litterally NO forethought or event to make me that way.
Eventually I am in such a gloomy mood I start thinking of things,
just to make me cry, and I hope that it will make the feeling lessen,
but it never does and it scares the shit out of me.
Not only do I not understand the why's but there is no reasons.
So.. if it is depression then no,
there need not even be sadness or hurt for it to come up and hit you.

I have never been diagnosed, never taken drugs [ other than weed ],
although I do drink occassionally I do not excessively drink.
Sometimes though I really do wonder if I have ever been truly happy.
I guess no one other than myself can figure that out.
I apologize for the rant.
Although I really must be going for now.
Talk to you all later. Neutral

Raven-Hollow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote        
@Antheia:
I was named after both my biological grandmothers. Smile Both of their middle names were Mae, so that is my middle name.

I doubt I would recognize his voice... I might not even recognize his face. It's been 5 years, it would've been more but before I came out to college my mother called him and told him I was leaving; that's the last time I saw him. I was 17. I don't think I care to see him, honestly... it would only make the pain worse now.

*big hugs back*

Rai & Rae 1X1 RP
Lux-Vertas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote        
Well, I know Manic Depression Exists, because I might be a candidate for it...

but It's a hard aria to define, Like most mental stuff... I think Doctors have to judge each case on it's own and what caused the ailment...

Sadly, it's Like Autism and Tourettes to me... I don't know enough about it! So I have to know enough people close to me to suffer from it so I can judge it Justly...

"It has to do with a bizarre concept called democracy, in which ruling power is given to whoever is most skillful at directing the herd instincts of the largest masses of their most ignorant citizens." Nom Anchor, somewhere in the NJO Books...
Afanassii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:55 pm Reply with quote        
I was diagnosed with depression over 5 years ago. I've been on and off of different medications and sometimes no medication at all.

I used to not know the difference between just being "sad" and when I was actually depressed. After an attempt at suicide and a trip to the crisis center I started realizing how intense the situation was and I'm a lot better educated now.

I lost someone very important to me to suicide once and I saw how it effected their loved ones so I vowed never to do the same thing. Having been pushed to that limit anyway made me aware of my problem.

Here's what Afanassii looks like:

Taken; claimed by the great Transcendence.
Transcendence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:21 am Reply with quote        
I have depression. I think everyone does in some form or another. I have seasonal effective disorder. During the winter months I get depressed and dont enjoy the things that I normally do. It supposedly has something to do with the sun and the weather patterns.

I am looking for art for my character. I will be willing to pay.

On gaia I am xxtaintedlips - I dont go on there much though.
Vidd187

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote        
I have Depression and I yell at people for no reson and dont even realize im doing it. It comes in many forms though.
BubbleTrouble

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote        
A lot of people in my family have suffered and or are suffering from depression. I think I myself have had it when I was younger and being bullied in school, it's not nice, but in way - a sad way I guess - it makes you more mature. But a lot of talented people have had depression, like J.K Rowling who made Harry Potter and the American writer Stephen King.
Iregyura

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:49 am Reply with quote        
I've never been depressed, but I know what it means. Being depressed, in my eyes, have three sections:
1. Mild-you're extremely upset, something bad happened, you cry almost every time you talk to anyone about what happened [almost; sometimes you don't from crying too much]
2. Depressed-you're not talking at all, you're somber and cry a lot, you don't eat, and sometimes wish that you want to end your life.
3. Super depressed-You actually try to end your own life, you cut yourself, take drugs, shorten your life, you just don't want to think anymore.

I think the difference is when you're super upset, you want to make it better, be happier, and still live a good life. Sometimes you touch on ending your life, but only for a brief moment, and you still can be cheered up. Minor cases of bullying and shock could be through this
I think that depression is, however, possibly major cases of bullying, someone dying, etc. But I think that they shouldn't be talking about all the bad stuff that would happen, but what they could do to help others around them and themselves to feel better. Lots of people [not all, but lots] take it the more pessimistic way, and sometimes leads to their end. I really don't like talking about depression, since I'm pretty sad today anyways, so yup. I know no one's going to read this post, but don't ask me why, please? Thanks. I'm feeling down today.
decodederror

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote        
Depression can generally be recognized with the loss of will to do things, the loss of meaning and purpose, as well as bad self esteem. A depressed person has loss of a couple of substances in their brain, and therefor the whole body and brain won't work as it's suppose to. The deeper you go, the less purpose thing have, the less will you have to do things, and the more every little thing that happens hurts you. It's a horribly feeling just sitting, starring into the wall, and don't feel like you want to do anything, not eat, not leave the room, not sleep and not be awake. You don't even want to disappear.

I've been depressed a couple of years, with some better periods. The whole things is probably triggered by trauma and a family that doesn't work, but I'm still going though tests and theaphy to find the reason and how to cure it. I wake up in the morings sometimes, and wish I didn't wake up that day. I don't want to get up and try, because I have no energy nor will, but I don't want to go back to sleep either. It's the fact of "I don't want to be awake, so I should go to sleep, but I don't want to sleep, because I'll wake up again to a new day." Every day is a fight for ones life for a depressed person, and sometimes the energy runs out. This is sometimes where the hurt comes in. I have a small tendency to scratch my arms, because I'm suffering from a feeling of the world around me being fake or made of plastic, or that it ends just around the corner. Pain helps bring back the mind to a stronger feeling of reality. This kind of behavior can evolve into something worse, and even addictive, and addictive habits are hard to break.

But fight on, all people out there. You're not alone, and it's going to get better! C:

Yet another little cheer, and the whole world

will face the consequences of whatever words you spoke.

----
[My deviantART]