Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
vampirebox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote        
Sweet... definitely take some bio courses, they are INCREDIBLY interesting.

Catch ya later, hope your class rocks some socks!

My Etsy:
http://www.vampirebox.etsy.com
My Blog:
http://vampirebox.blogspot.com

Vixie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote        
depression(like emo) is just another way of attention seeking for most people, there are alot of people whom are currently faking it to receieve drugs and attention and that sucks(especially for people who actually suffer from it, there not getting alook in because of all the fakers)

click the egg
Kiri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:01 pm Reply with quote        
I'm a victim of depression.
I have a serious case of depression that I've had for my whole life and only now has my mom started to acknowledge it. I think she is still in denial about it, but at least now I am receiving treatment. I take medication and go to therapy.

If you have a serious case of depression, it takes over your life.
It's taking over mine and every day I think about killing myself. I don't know if I can actually do it, but I definitely contemplate it every single day because I can't seem to find a moment of true happiness.
Raven-Hollow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote        
I was clinically diagnosed with depression when I was 17 or so, I did the drugs and the "SI"... I did not start doing drugs due to the depression, but I did cut cause of it. It was a way to release without putting my burden on others. I still, sometimes, want to cut, but I'm really trying not to. I am no longer taking medication for my depression, had to stop because I couldn't afford it when I no longer was on my mom's insurance... I don't think I need them anymore, I do find myself feeling like I'm going to relapse, but I get over it after a while... sometimes a long while.

Rai & Rae 1X1 RP
dreamer676

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote        
Raven-Hollow wrote:
I was clinically diagnosed with depression when I was 17 or so, I did the drugs and the "SI"... I did not start doing drugs due to the depression, but I did cut cause of it. It was a way to release without putting my burden on others. I still, sometimes, want to cut, but I'm really trying not to. I am no longer taking medication for my depression, had to stop because I couldn't afford it when I no longer was on my mom's insurance... I don't think I need them anymore, I do find myself feeling like I'm going to relapse, but I get over it after a while... sometimes a long while.

You came off the anti-depressents because you couldn't afford them? Is it just me or does that sound like one of the biggest implications ever? I'm not entirely sure but in the UK we don't have to pay upfront for that kind of stuff it's all covered by tax. Idk though the only other example I have is with the pill. I didn't have to pay for that, but again I'm only just under eighteen.

Either way doesn't it seem a little unfair that you would have to spend money on something you would need long term, coz it's one of those things that you don't get over straight away.

Oh and I would really love for someone to say I'm wrong, coz at least then I would know what I'm talking about ^^

Art done by Crow Happy
Raven-Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote        
Yeah, I find it a little aggravating, but I'm sorta glad I technically had to get off of them... I didn't really like the way they made me, I wasn't ME.

I wish I lived elsewhere just for the health care stuff... the US really sucks for that. T_T

Rai & Rae 1X1 RP
dreamer676

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote        
Raven-Hollow wrote:
Yeah, I find it a little aggravating, but I'm sorta glad I technically had to get off of them... I didn't really like the way they made me, I wasn't ME.

I wish I lived elsewhere just for the health care stuff... the US really sucks for that. T_T

I've heard that too, that anti-depressents turn you into a completely different person

Art done by Crow Happy
Raven-Hollow

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote        
I personally felt it did, but I can't speak for everyone.

Rai & Rae 1X1 RP
Kitty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote        

Hurting themselves? That is such a stereotype.
I have clinical depression and I'm manic depressive.
basically, I have an overwhelming feeling of sadness. Ok? I don't cut myself or anything. I have had thoughts of suicide, but never really attempted anything. I tried to bargain using those feelings. I'm a schizoid because of the overwhelming feelings of sadness. I have a huge fear of rejection and I look for approval from others. I used to try to be the center of attention. I get angered quite easily, though I might seem come. I keep my feelings in side most of the time. There are times when I'll just start to cry, or I will feel like I'm going to cry. I get stressed out easily. I often try to self diagnose whats wrong with me physically. I'm hurt easily by comments and actions. I get jealous of male friends easily. I'm over protective of loved ones. I avoid most face to face social events. I could go on but I think thats enough.

As for anti-depressants, I was taking some, forgot the name, and I didn't feel they helped. I am now taking anti-anxiety medication and it does help.

I'm taking Paxil (anti-anxiety) and Trazadone (sleeping pills). I also have 2 skin conditions and a inhaler for mild asthma.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:48 pm Reply with quote        
Depression is onset by the chemical balance in the brain, but that chemical balance can be affected by events in life as well as philosophy. In fact you can't separate the way events affect you from the philosophy, because together they determine whether one is depressed or not, if it's not other health issues (mental or physical).

I had depression for many years, but in the past two or three years after I worked out my "all or nothing" attitude with my counselor I was much more positive in outlook towards the things that happened, despite loved ones around me getting ill I was able to support them with positive help.

poetsespresso at:

gaiaonline.com
soliaonline.com
zantarni.com
monagonaonline.freehostia.com
jadareaonline.com
zaffcast.com
astrum-noctis.com
caecusrealm.net
celainia.com
piitown.com
midorea.com
menewsha.com
kronosphase.com
sweetandsourmafia.com
ruffles
ava
Kitty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote        

Everyone experiences their depression differently.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:52 am Reply with quote        
Depression is a fact of life. In your life, you will most likely get a bout of depression which will need to be cared for by a medical doctor or not. Unless your my sister, but thats an entire other mindset. Depression can be a horrible thing, and should not be taken lightly. There are many adolescents/teenagers out there who fake the signs of depression for attention or to fit in with a crowd, which is extremely annoying.
Being sad is an entirely different thing. Being depressed is when you are so very down, there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel. No escape, no hope. That the very best option is to either wait it out, or to commit. Thats depression.
Cutting can be from depression, because sometimes with depression you lack motivation to live your life, and have true feelings. So some cutters cut to feel alive. Some cutters do so for attention. In most cases, cutters who are serious about what they are doing will never cut on their exposed body. They will mutilate their legs, stomach, chest, abdomen, everywhere that is not exposed.
Self-pity cutters who want attention will cut their arm, carve their hands, cut their wrists across the tracks.
But some cutters will cut their hands, but it will look like an accident. When people leave tally-marks and hearts on their hands with safety pins. . . thats a poser cut.
Which makes people treat depression less seriousily.

Depression can be onset by eating disorders, or lack of nutrition. So if you have a tan and healthy body, then you should be better off. If you have a pale skin without red hair, and can't get a tan. . . maybe you should eat some vitamins!
Chi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:09 pm Reply with quote        
Quote:
What are your views on depression? Do you really believe it can bring people to do drugs and/or cut themselves? What do you think is the difference between just being depressed, or being upset on something that happened to you?

I think depression does lead people into cutting themselves and do drugs because they aren't mentally strong enough to withstand that pain.
I personally had a huge depression one time. And I thought of committing suicide ( but, no I wouldn't go that far. I just thought about it. ) But, I was smart enough to know that it doesn't last, and if you can withstand it then the reward is great because you'll become really happy.

Like me, I'm now living in a great normal life and I couldn't ask for anything better except for my family. I was always depressed and I never felt like doing anything as fun. Nor did I even attempt any of those stuff that could harm the body. I couldn't believe it, and because I've experience such happiness, it was hard not to believe I could go back to it. Cause I went back to depression again one time, and I've been patient and it was rewarding.

Upset is something that takes just a little time to get over. Depression is something that will continue to haunt you and will continue to make you sad for a long while. Depending on your situation. That's what I at least think. I was upset that my brother wouldn't let me play his Ipod, but I got over it quick and I wasn't feeling down or feel like wanting to die >.>

well I mean if I said "I will give you money if you draw me something" would you think up something to draw?

Chu wrote:
>.>; *draws something*

Happy Chu gets money now?!
lunexor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:48 pm Reply with quote        
Chi wrote:

I think depression does lead people into cutting themselves and do drugs because they aren't mentally strong enough to withstand that pain.

I have to disagree with that last statement you made. I do agree life is work living and etcetera, but mental strength has nothing to do with it.

Some of the time, having deppression is something that is hereditary, passed on from generation to generation. And there is absolutly no way of avoiding that.

Sometimes its biology, where not enough seritonin is getting to the brain.

And other times, it is because of a traumatic experience. Can you really call someone who lost their whole life to a flood 'mentally weak?' or even someone who's father recently died?
In the cases I'm thinking about, these people are tremendousily strong, because even though they feel some days like giving up, they don't.

Having a mental disorder has nothing to do with strength of the mind, soul, or anything.
It just depends on the situation, and no one has any right to compare their lives to yours, because they don't know who you are, what you've seen, what you've done, etc.

Kitty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:29 pm Reply with quote        

Depression usually follows trauma, it can be accompanied by paranoia and even isolation. (Talking about self :/)