Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Angelic.Demon
Recolorer
Recolorer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:50 pm Reply with quote        
You always hear about depression in Health class, and how it leads people to 'bad things' in some cases. How they hurt their body to rid of the pain. When I thought of depression, I originally thought it couldn't really be that bad. So you feel upset all the time, just try and cheer up. But No when I think about it, I understand how hard it could be.

Sometimes people feel live they have a really mild case of it, but who really knows? How exactly they could decide if it's depression, or just being upset over something. It could easily be pointed to the fact that maybe they were upset over one certain thing, but it could have lead them to depression.

What are your views on depression? Do you really believe it can bring people to do drugs and/or cut themselves? What do you think is the difference between just being depressed, or being upset on something that happened to you?

::Shop::
Squid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote        
    I don't use the word depression when I can avoid it. I prefer to use sad. I'm not depressed, I'm just a little sad. So, if I switch, that's why.

I have been ... sad for a very long time. And I can hide it well. My family doesn't know that I have anything wrong with me, so I've never actually been diagnosed. Which is part of the reason I prefer the term sad.

It actually hurts. And it makes a lot of things seem huge when they're just not. So, while I myself don't take drugs, I can definitely see the appeal in escaping with drugs.

I cut (And from here on, I will use the term SI - self injury) from... twelve to seventeen regularly. After that, I tried to quit many times, and have succeeded for lengths of time, but never permanently. Right now, it's been a few months for me (woowoo!) but when I'm not using SI, I'm thinking about using SI. I've been snapping a lot of rubber bands lately. (Snapping rubber bands is a common ... replacement or coping method to help people with SI). I can't remember ... what I was thinking the first time I did it, but I do seem to remember everything else. I remember what I was wearing, what my tool was, where it was. Over the years I've cut... almost every single body part on me, starting with the obvious places and then moving to more secluded or hidden places.

For me, SI is a way to ... define my hurt. When I do it, I KNOW what that pain is and I know what to call it and I know where it came from... When it's a... mental or emotional pain, that's so much harder for me to put in to terms that I can understand and then deal with.

I think the difference between depression and just being upset over something - and I've thought about it long and hard because I don't ever feel like I have anything to be sad about - is that depression doesn't HAVE to have a cause. It can and sometimes does, but there are times when it's just THERE. If you're upset over something, well, there it is. You're upset over something.

Do I think it's possible for being upset over something can lead to depression, absolutely. But you'll know the difference when it passes. You can go to bed at night when you're upset over something with the chance of waking up in the morning and being fine with it. Depression doesn't work that way.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:31 pm Reply with quote        
Squid; I agree when you say Depression doesn't have to have a cause, but I sometimes think that something bad happened that triggered other reactions.

I'm... sad like you sometimes. But it's not serious at all, I just suddenly feel.. I don't know.

Though I don't personally do SI, I know a few people who do. One of them wanted to stop, but just couldn't, and she knew that mad me upset, when I was mainly because I couldn't really help her. I felt guilty about that, and told her I didn't expect her to quit, I just hoped she would do it a little less. She cut herself a lot more than most people did.

Maybe being sad doesn't have to have a trigger, but mine I think does in a way.

While SI is used to help the pain, I find music helps me out. When ever I feel upset, it's what I turn to. Everyone just has different ways of dealing with pain, of course, so I don't expect everyone to do what I do, or another person's way of helping.

::Shop::
Squid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:50 pm Reply with quote        
    I think that if I knew of another way to deal with it, I'd definitely use it. I don't like ... I want to start that over.

I love my scars. I've accepted that they're there and that they show that I have a past, even if I'm the only one who sees them. I can look at them and think ''Okay. I've had some rough times, but look. These are SCARS. They're healed. The rough times are behind me'' you know?

But I hate not being able to go swimming with my nephew in the summer. Like, it really hurts me to say no to him because he just begs me and begs me. And I've never seen anything that goes below knees to go swimming in.

Sometimes I deeply regret getting in to SI. It is something that is really tough to quit. I quit smoking like it was nothing and I quit drinking soda completely. But this is just something that I'm honestly not sure if I'll ever COMPLETELY get over. No matter how many coping methods I've tried, it's still there. I honestly ... never stop thinking about it.

Whether it's ''Man, I wish I had my tool with me'' or ''I wish were alone right now so I could cut'' or even just ''Those shorts are nice, but I could never wear them because my scars would show.''

Two years ago (Or threeish, it was 06), when I was in a relationship, my partner didn't like me cutting at all. So, I just forced myself to stop all together. I think it really made me a lot worse for it. I remember wearing a sweater in the middle of summer because I had scratches completely covering both of my arms and part of my chest. I had convinced myself that since I didn't bleed, the scratches didn't count, even though they VASTLY out numbered any time when I had cut. (At one time, I mean)

I just told my mom that I really liked that sweater.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:54 am Reply with quote        
I think Squid has hit the nail on the head. I'm pretty much the same tbh. My boyfriend hates that used to cut or at least he thinks that I have stopped. It hurts that I lie to him, and i'm not proud of the scars that I do have but I would, personally, think cutting/SI as an addiction. Once it makes you feel better once or twice you continue doing it fogeting all the times it was horrible. I mean I have actually felt physically sick while doing one once but that didn't mean I could stop.

Also I would say that depression is nowhere near sadness. You can stop feeling sad, I think, pretty much when you want to. Depression, on the other hand completely halts you and tend to feel like a two tonne weight on top of you. Although I'm drawing this from experience and my experience of it may well just be worse. Also I have never been diagnosed either.

Yeah, so thats my opinion. Also while I'm at it I may as well just say I resent that people call depressed ppl emos. Emo is a dress sence and a music style, nothing else. Sorry rant over.

Art done by Crow Happy
tigerangel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:00 am Reply with quote        
I have been through a very abusive in my life, and just thinking and talking about it sometime can make me very depressed and literally bring me to tears.
I try and think about how much better my life is now, and that without experiencing the things you have in your past, your present will have been totally different.
I can't really think of an upside of being physically abused on a daily basis, but I refused to let that be the way i wanted my life to be.

please click ->
Urboros

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote        
I've been depressed before and not a mild case, I actually ran to my mom and told her while crying that I was really sad and I didn't know why. ;_; something about hormones and stuff. I'm on birthcontrol and that really helps alot I have to say I hate being depressed.

D: I couldn't imagin being depressed all the time, the few times its happened to me before the pills I forced my self to look for the happy stuff Bouncy Heart I tried my best to get out of the slump.

KittinVonTease

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:33 am Reply with quote        
I think some people turn to drugs/alcohol because they just want to feel numb. They don't want to think about all the pain and hurt and confusion anymore. When alcohol/drug abuse becomes an addiction -"I drink because I'm depressed, and I'm depressed because I drink" Alcohol and a lot of drugs are considered "downers" and actually make the feeling of depression worse.

I don't think anyone really wants to feel sad, but due to chemical imbalances the feeling of depression can be very confusing, especially in the teenage years.

As for "cutting" I'm not ever really depressed and never understood the idea of cutting oneself in order to feel better, but lately I have been so stressed and feel anxious and sometimes I feel like cutting just to releive some of the chaos. I don't cut though, and I won't just because I know it is an unhealthy practice that can lead to an unhealthy obsession.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:01 pm Reply with quote        
I don't even like touching on the topic of depression honestly so if I sound short, bitchy, and blunt... well, that's how it is.

I don't know if I've ever been clinically depressed. I've been sad, upset, I've had emotional breakdowns, and I've been suicidal. But depressed? If I'm not diagnosed with it, then it's really not even an option.

What pisses me off about some people, is the whole drugs, alcohol, and cutting thing. I understand that you need to get out of this pain - you go through the day depressed, go to sleep depressed, wake up, eat, go to work/school... all the while upset about something that you can't even pin. Yeah, you're desperate, and feel that you have no where to turn to, but rather then doing things that'll hurt you worse in the long-run, why not just push through it?

I don't know. Maybe that only worked with the people that I know for a fact were clinically depressed. No medicine, no drugs, just sheer willpower. And they got through it. Everyone is different, so there's no set way to dig your way out of those emotions.

My opinion may also be biased considering I've dealt with plenty of teenagers looking for attention, and I'm fed up with those people.

Squid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:15 pm Reply with quote        
    To KittinVonTease - You're precisely write about many drugs and alcohol actually being depressants (Or downers) and the people who end up using them to feel better end up making themselves worse. My ex started drinking a lot when we broke up and no matter how much I said that drinking just to get to sleep will only make things worse, I was never listened to.

To Chu - I'm sorry, but your response kind of upset me a little. I don't even know where to begin with that one. Yes, those who (pretend/fake) cut merely as an attention seeking behaviour probably have something more wrong them than those who use SI as an actual means of dealing with stress or depression. But just pushing through it is actually really difficult, I find. Why should I suffer through whatever I happen to be trying to deal with at that time when I can just let it go and move on? Yes, the scars can be an issue, and if you're not safe, there can be other problems. But almost anyone will pick instant relief over suffering, don't you think?

Not to mention that most cutters are girls and most are young teenagers (Or that's when they start). They don't usually have the same will power as an older adult.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:26 pm Reply with quote        
You know, I think sometimes the word "depression" is stronger than "sad". I, to, try to avoid the word from time to time. Being depressed can lead to all kinds of violence. I mean, like, besides hurting themselves physically, some people would express there sadness on to other people. When I'm usually sad, I sometimes would be angry, depending on the situation.

I don't like it, though, when people hurt themselves, and then some other kids call them emo. D: I don't think it's really nice. I've dealt through a situation through that, I suppose.

hey mang.
I'm Christian! I'm loving it bbycakes.
Funkystar13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote        
i recently experienced what it feels like and i just sealled myself off from everyone and went around on my own, im still doing it now and all i feel is numb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote        
Uhm, where to start? Since everyone is talking about their life, I guess I'll do the same. I've been depressed, and I mean "clinically depressed", when I was a teen. I had the whole dark thoughts /suicidal ideas / anything else associated with depression, but I never really hurt myself or used any drug/alcohol.

I can however understand people who turn to that. I mean, a depression isn't completely a conscious thing. You don't really start doing drug/alcohol/SI by saying "Oh, I'll feel better if I do that". You just try it, and for different reasons, it makes you feel better (for a short period of time), and when you start feeling bad again, you do it again, and it just turns into a habit. And I don't think that everyone who do drug/alcohol/SI is depressed, because there are lots of reasons why people do those...

I think the only real way to get rid of a depression is just to push through it, with some specialized help if needed (psychologist, therapy, etc.). If you just start doing drug or other things because you think it will help you, you're just replacing one problem with another.

Oh, and for what's the difference between sadness and depression, a "real" depression is a lot worst than just being sad or upset, and can have various effects depending of the person. It's just like if everything became harder (physically and mentally) without any reason, you don't feel good about yourself, etc.

And I don't like when people use that as a way to get attention. I just feel it's a lack of respect for the people who are really depressed and would need support but don't get it because people thinks that depression isn't real or important...

Miyani-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote        
Maeve ::
Well, it's a good thing you didn't involve yourself with violence when you were depressed. C:

Oh yeah, depression isn't just the conscious. It's basically everything. Physically and emotionally. I don't understand how Alcohol makes them feel better when they're depressed. Even though I understand why they turn to it, I don't understand why it makes them feel good though.

Depression is a stronger word than sad, that's for sure. O: Sometimes, people are depressed just because. That's a bad reason, yeah, but, one time, I was crying and being upset for some reason. I guess people are depressed because of a reason, but sometimes the reason is unknown.

People who just do that for attention is sort of making fun of them.

hey mang.
I'm Christian! I'm loving it bbycakes.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:32 pm Reply with quote        
@Squid: Actually, my mother is the only adult that I know that got through clinical depression through willpower. The other three people are/were around my age; sixteen to around... eighteen, I want to say.

I'm sorry that it upset you though. I feel that if I alter it, it will take away what I'm trying to say.

@Maeve: Thank you; that is what I was trying to prove.