Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / OoC Forum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote        
Name: Harlan Scimura
Age:142, but has been unconscious for most of that (see history)
Gender Female
Affiliation: Atlantean
Appearance: Harlan is a tall young woman, long of limb and broad of shoulder, covered in wiry muscle. She’s darker-skinned than most of the others in Atlantis, with short, snow white hair; her eyes lack irises and are just blank white with pupils. Harlan wears more understated clothes, trying to stay unnoticed. Gray and black, pants, boots, long coat with a hood and wide sleeves. On a mission, she wears more tightly fitting clothes, and a sleeveless top, showing the old gray tribal tattoos on her arms, and the ridge of gray scale-like armor on the outside of her forearms (the result of genetic modifications). On her hands, she has fingerless gloves, showing the slightly green fingernails, and her feet are bare
Personality: // Harlan’s not the traditional guard type. She’s quieter, not very good with people, generally easily cowed into silence; something that’s not always a good idea because she notices a lot of things and is smart enough to know what those things mean. She has a lot of insight, and’s creative enough to suggest solutions that might just work. She doesn’t like being touched, or being around a lot of people, and is very much a solo scout.
History:A lot of Harlan’s personell file is redacted. Careful and intuitive reading shows that she’s spent a lot of time in cro recovering from experimental genetic modifications. Talking to Harlan, an astute listener might detect that she’s ben active in the field for about a ear, and is going to disappear into the science labs soon, and so is taking as many scouting jobs in the wilds as possible. However, there is much about Harlan’s past that is confidential and classified, something that not even she’s allowed to divulge.

KaceyCat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:49 pm Reply with quote        
*Note: Any pictures are just rough representations. Partially because doll-makers are not exactly precise, and partially because they're new-ish characters and I myself am not entirely sure of what I want them to be. (Also I used a pixie maker where most of the clothing was made out of leaves and flowers and stuff so this is the most human-looking their clothing could get.)

Name: Zytavion 'Tavie' Alastair Preston
Gender Male
Affiliation: Survivor
Appearance: When he's in public, Tavie tends to dress in button-downs, dark jeans, the occasional vest, and usually some tall boots. If he's not going out in public, or is feeling particularly lazy, he'll just wear whatever jeans and t-shirts he's got laying around.
Personality: Zytavion will argue that it's important for a musician to be at least a little bit extroverted. After all, they are performers who spend plenty of time around other people. That said, he does struggle with being outgoing for extended periods of time, needing to retreat into a private space such as a studio to sort of 'recharge'. One of his favorite styles of music isn't even really a genre, it's when orchestras or traditionally classical music groups recreate modern music, like rock or pop songs. A close second is movie or video game music, though, because that stuff is just plain awesome if done right.
History: Tavie grew up much in the normal fashion, nothing too special. He's been going to college for a few years now to prepare for working in the music field. While yes, he's pretty much just a musician, not a producer or anything, he's done a lot of studio work on both sides of the booth, particularly with the stranger percussion instruments or his voice. Tav and a few friends had been travelling for their vacation, but he'd decided to head back home a few days early so he could get some extra studio time in. And that worked sooooo wonderfully for him.

Name: Tamsin Haley
Gender Female
Occupation: Inventor/Tinkerer/Fixer-of-smallish-or-not-so-smallish-objects, occasional translator, though that's more just a side-hobby
Appearance: Tam is small, slight, pale, and the general physique and appearance of a stereotypical nerd. Despite being an Atlantean, she remains a far cry from the usual tall-and-tan look most of the others sport due to her preference for staying inside hunched over a desk with her latest 'project'. Her massively poofy brown hair is usually either pulled out of the way into a ponytail or just left loose. Clothing tends to be in shades of blue and brown, practical, and possibly stained with soot/grease/paint/who-even-knows-anymore
Personality: Tamsin, though quite possibly an actual genius, comes across as a bit of an idiot if you don't know her. She's quiet, but when you do get her talking, she's flighty and doesn't seem to stay on a single topic for very long. One thing she does not do, however, is tolerate rude or misogynistic behavior from anybody. If something along those lines is mentioned to her, it's like a switch is flipped. Even though she works a lot with the modern Atlantean technologies, one of her favorite things to do is mess with older tech, especially anything with small pieces, like clockwork. She also dabbles in translating languages, but that's just minor stuff, and she's not actually completely fluent in any secondary languages.
History: Tams grew up in a household full of mother, aunts, female cousins, the occasional grandmother, and basically just a household of strong female individuals. They taught her to take no sh!t from anybody, even if she stays shy for the rest of the time. Tam passed through the Atlantean school system quickly, and became one of the youngest inventors/engineers of her time. Her ability to fix almost anything is why she now works so closely with the guards and hunters, making sure their gear is functioning.

Hahahahahahahaahha look at the feckin' nerd with her huge glasses/goggles

I'm not entirely satisfied with Tav's info, but that's pretty much all I've got for now. >.< If you want, to make it easier to link to them, I could move one of them to another post.
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:04 pm Reply with quote        
Nah, don't worry about it. I'm low maintenance. It just might be a wee bit confusing for whoever clicks on Tamsin's link and sees Tavie's profile.

ravebloodnymph

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote        
Name: Wayke Jaxon
Gender Male
Occupation: Works in his father's bakery. It's just him, his dad, and his one-year-older sister Mira who run the shop.
Appearance: Longish wavy brown hair and dark blue-grey eyes. A bit taller than average, and well-muscled in the arms but somewhat lanky all elsewhere. He's most often seen in his bakery uniform, white T-shirt, short apron around his waist, tight black pants, and thick-soled dark blue boots. Outside of this uniform, he typically wears reasonably non-descript clothing, but is almost never seen without his blue boots and dark brown leather jacket.
Personality: Wayke is extremely polite, almost to the point of being annoying. He'll rarely give his opinion on things, even when asked. It's always a "Yes Sir," and a "No Ma'am," and "please" and "thank you." He can seem pretty reserved and it might take a lot to get him to open up. He's good-hearted and only wants the best for people, but he does have a selfish streak in him. It's usually a constant battle for him to choose between the "right" thing to do, and what he really wants to do.
History: When Mira started showing signs of Airin's at fourteen, everyone feared that Wayke wouldn't be far behind. Of course, this meant that Mira became the favorite child in his father's eyes, doting on her and giving her everything she required. And Wayke, being the good son he was, did everything his father required. Yes Sir, I'll work in the bakery because Mira is too weak today. Yes Sir, I'll give up my career in medicine because Mira won't be able to take on the bakery in future. Yes Sir, I'll stay home instead of going out and making friends, because Mira needs someone to make sure she gets enough food.

Think a little younger than this picture.
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:42 pm Reply with quote        
So I totally didn't...think about the language issue with Atlanteans. I've determined that they have access to like...satellite TV (so much illegal streaming) so they'd have exposure and access to it but bugger me if I know enough about Atlantea education to figure out if they have like a foreign language requirement (Beeteedubs, Atlanteans have a pretty intense liberal arts education up to like eighteen then branch off into their vo-tech schools UNLESS they want to become politicans, in which case they continue their liberal arts education; also scientists have a lot of philosophy training) so ANY thoughts from the peanut gallery? Kacey, you've got a translator as a character so you probably had some thought as to how...that would work out? Yes/No?

KaceyCat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote        
I did think of the language barrier too, which is part of why I made Tams a translator, so at least there'd be that in case something didn't quite match up. Um, let's see...

Atlantean and English might be similar enough that there's a lot of cognates or overlap (Cognates are where a word in one language sounds or is spelled very similar to the same word in another language. Like the English word 'milk' and the German word 'milch' or how the word 'hospital' is spelled the same in English and Spanish, just pronounced a little differently.) so even if you've never learned the other language, you could still get by if you really needed to.

That said, maybe in school they start teaching basic English alongside Atlantean in their equivalent of elementary/primary school? (I know in some countries they do that, but heck if I know, since I'm from an English-as-a-first-language-country. When I lived on an American air base in Japan when I was little, we all spoke English, but there was a 'culture class' where they taught us Japanese culture and a bit of the language.) And maybe they've got some children's TV shows that teach super basic language for the really little kids, like their version of Dora the Explorer.

The satellite TV that they can illegally stream sometimes airs on like, their TV system on specific channels for people who want to see it (Sort of like how we've got 'HBO Spanish' but most of the channels we have access to are in English, only they'd have mostly Atlantean, with some English channels or somethin')

And if they really want to learn more in-depth to become completely fluent, or if they want to take classes to learn another tertiary language, maybe in their equivalent of high school (Like, ages 14-18 or so) they've got optional classes that go really in-depth to the point where they're pretty much on the same level as native speakers of that language.

If someone takes a personal interest, they can obviously study a language on their own (I'd assume that with all of their advanced technology, that even if Atlantis doesn't have their own version of the Internet, they'd have access to the World Wide Web. It is, after all, world wide...)

But basically anyone who went through the public school system has at least a basic conversational level of understanding for English. Enough to have a decent conversation or so, maybe read a full novel, but nothing like knowing every word in the English language or anything.

I dunno, that's pretty much all I've got suggestion-wise. I was kinda making it up as I went along. ¯\(°_°)/¯
Sly
Coordinator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote        
Hmm, so I just saw this nearly a week after you posted but is there still room for me to join or...would that be weird/not possible? If not, it's cool. If so, could I join?... Sweat
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote        
Sly, you're tooooootally welcome to join. I only just started the IC so put someone together and post 'em.

Kacey, I think I'm gonna do it like...they're probably taught basic language skills (not conversational but functional) and if they want to pursue it they can (and a lot of people probably...forget it). Due to their media access, they can discern one language from another, but that's about it. I'll just...let the characters figure out how to communicate.

(also there's the idea of Atlanteans learning English from video games like weaboos learn Japanese from anime that just reeeally amuses me)

Sly
Coordinator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote        
Schweet! Thanks. I'm gonna go work something up and hopefully have a character posted by later tonight. *Goes off to do thing.* Weeeee!~ Weeeee Hai

EDIT: Can I have 2 characters, or you want I should stick with 1 for now?

Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah, you can totally have two, but as long as it's one survivor and one Atlantean (I think that's a fair rule for the moment, yeah?). We're a little lopsided on the side of the Atlanteans, though, so if you could focus on the survivor, that'd be cool.

KaceyCat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote        
Pshh, I would hope we could have two charas, or else I'd have a problem... XD

Yes, I think that would do just fine for the language thing, Mal. Tams just happened to be particularly interested in learning languages when she was younger. (That is a wonderful thought. Atlantean gamers who know very specific phrases thanks to video games.)

Side note: Atlantean gamers that were into sort of older games might know about the phrase "CONGLATURATION !!! YOU HAVE COMPLETED
A GREAT GAME. AND PROOVED THE JUSTICE OF OUR CULTURE. NOW GO AND REST OUR HEROES !" from the end screen of Ghostbusters on the NES. I picture any of them who saw that would think 'conglaturation' was an actual word. XD
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote        
Vendors yelling "DWARVEN CRAFTS!". Bakers find their shops grafitied with " The cake is a lie.". Ecco the Dolphin is the symbol for a literal gang.

KaceyCat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote        
Jewelry stores marketing 'Elvish silver'. Boxes or packages made to look like companion cubes. People pretending to make 'Leaps of Faith' like in Assassin's Creed only off of like, a 2nd floor of a building or with anti-grav boots to make it safe.

Fucking Ecco...Pissed me off so much.
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote        
Croft is a common nickname for a daredevil who does stunts without gear. Looking for a Galaga is just looking for something to kill time that doesn't take much brainpower. The Mario tune is the equivalent to the Jeopardy song. Choosing a Pokemon starter is more important than choosing your Hogwarts House.

KoyiTar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:21 pm Reply with quote        
You guys are so weird. I was thinking of World of Warcraft stuff but you came up with so much more just wow. That is all I can say. Remember the Sunwell.