Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Weiss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote        
I already know about Gaia and syndrome online. And others but if there are NY new avatar sites out there please let me know. I also have a few questions on how avatar sites are made. I'd like to make my own someday. Or just like an avatar blog/chat site.... I don't think the avatar sitea with a blog exists yet....
Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote        
Right now, most of the 'new' avatar sites I know of are either not opened or they fell through. This is a good list of sites, but its not been updated recently.

A blog/avatar site combo always seemed interesting. Especially something similar to tumblr, where its easier to interact with others than individual blogs not linked by anything. Gaia actually started a new site using a similar concept called tentacl but I haven't really messed around with it much.

Starting a site is a pretty big task, speaking from experience. When we started out, there were tons of free extensions and software you installed onto the forum, and you had yourself an avatar site pretty much built for free - apart from the artwork and designs and any extras. More recently though, as the different software has become obsolete/lost, I haven't really seen anything similar take their place, but you could probably find older software that'd work.

Either way its a big investment, and not just from money. Back when Midorea was fully active and we had events/donation items/updates, the hours needed each week was the same as a full time job, and a lot of times even more than that without any overtime pay. To keep the site going I actually didn't take any pay at all, but that's a different story.

MIDOREA GAME DEV! WE'RE MAKING NEW MIDOREA ADVENTURE GAMES
Weiss

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote        
Shocked oooh.... Interesting. I'd probably have to work pretty hard on my art skills if I wanted to go through with an avatar site. I Just have a type of site I have in mind that be cool to me personally but its hard to find sites like that. Which is why I wondered if I should download phpBB when I get a stable PC. Listening to you speak however makes me wonder if I should let it just be a forum site where you can talk...

Hum.... I actually just got an idea.