Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Square
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote        

This last year has seen the Midorea project change and grow beyond what we had ever anticipated, from back when we first started to seriously invest time into developing the game. We’ve honed our skills and learned a lot over these couple of months, and we plan to take what we’ve learned from these lessons and put them to good use. We have a clear path set down for this next year, and while we don’t profess to be experts in the science of game dev, we have a lot of determination to see us through the end.

While we move toward a new year and a new set of challenges, it’s also important to look back on the previous year, and look at what we’ve done and how we can improve ourselves. For us, 2014 was all about learning new things and overcoming the challenges that faced us when we first started. Our project was ambitious, yet our team was small, so getting things off the ground was a feat we’re extremely proud of. We’ve got a lot more to do, and more challenges are waiting, but this first year has been promising, and we hope the next will see us to our end!

Looking back on 2014, we’ve…

Built our world up and created a solid story from what little we had to start with. Initially we only had a few prompts and fleeting ideas of where we wanted to go with the world, and today we’ve filled dozens of documents with lore, story, characters, and world building.

Refined our style and theme. At the beginning we had no clue where we wanted to go with our art, and most of our concepts were not very consistent or had rapid changes in quality and style. Right now we’re still pushing ourselves to develop our style more, but otherwise we’re pretty happy in how far we’ve come with our art’s direction.

And laid the groundwork for the functionality of the game. We’ve spent a lot of time studying what works for some games, and why, as well as understanding what would work for us. We try to keep ourselves open to the most common complaints directed towards RPGs, actively figuring out how to solve them for our own interpretation of the genre, to make the game experience the best we can offer.

We’re excited to move into this new year, bringing with us the things we’ve learned throughout this last one. If you’re still following our development, we hope you continue to stick around until the end! Thanks again for supporting our project, throughout this last year and however many you follow us to.

Onward to 2015!
Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote        
Added a new poll. We'd like to open up a forum (like city square, lounge) where we'll have several posts with defined topics you can give feedback on, and maybe allow you guys to post topics of your own. Cast your vote, and if you have any additional feedback you can share it in here too.

MIDOREA GAME DEV! WE'RE MAKING NEW MIDOREA ADVENTURE GAMES
Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote        

I'm currently redoing our avatars. The goal is to move away from our original bases, which are very flawed, and define v3 with a set we'd be confident in releasing. All rares will be refitted, so no, you won't lose all of your items.

What's everyone's thoughts so far? Any critiques of the anatomy, pose? I'm open to listening to what everyone has to say about this change. Happy

lexi luthor
Coordinator
Coordinator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:41 am Reply with quote        
they look like your art style :P Im not sure how I feel about the huge blocky looking highlight on the shin. Also, the pose looks very, strong, I quite like how lackadaisical the current base's pose is. Meaning, I like when the arms are relaxed and the legs are closer together. Anyways that's my opinion :P Otherwise, I like how you went and made them more in your art style

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote        
I like them, overall. Also, I agree with lexi that it's nice to see them in your style. The shading does look a bit to block-like to me, and a bit too defined. That's more my personal preference though, as I tend to like smoother lines. I do like the overall form which is a bit stockier then you normally see in any avatar site; it's an interesting change and oddly appealing for some reason. Weeeee
ravebloodnymph

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote        
I don't know, I'm not a fan of the stockier-ness of it. I like the more delicate touch in the current avatars. I do love the different shading though. It's very CAT to me, lol. I'm not art-y enough to be able to critique it well, though, so this is just from an aesthetic standpoint :P
neomattlac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote        
You say "no, you won't lose all of them". Does that infer that some will be lost?

Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:35 pm Reply with quote        
@neomattlac The fate of commons hasn't been decided yet, so some items might be lost. We're leaning very much to wiping commons altogether, as it'd be easier to develop new ones, rather than spending all of our time refitting the old items.

Thank you all for your feedback though! I'll continue to develop the bases while keeping your feedback in mind.

Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote        

Recently we began revising and rethinking our map of Midorea, and this is what we’ve developed so far. If you compare it to the map on our story page, you’ll notice some details that are drastically different. We haven’t made any major changes to the story, but some details and locations on the map were never quite refined in the first place, which has given us room to expand and change things around. We hope these new revisions give our world a little more depth than what we had before!
Jandi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote        
I'm really digging the appearance of those new bases. The anatomy is amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:45 am Reply with quote        
My first thought when I saw those bases: holy crap!

That is indeed an enormous change to make. In my opinion, the more realistic avatars look great, but I'm worried it might be a little bit TOO realistic, you know? The less realistically defined something is - whether it's an avatar, an animated character, whatever - the easier it is to associate with them, "see" yourself reflected in them, shall we say.
About the pose - with the feet positioned that way, any high-heeled shoes will be impossible (not that most shoes here have much heel). Aside from that, I personally REALLY dig the stockier shape and stronger pose. But... the majority of the current userbase is female, and as noted in the previous comments, most of them probably prefer the current more "feminine" base. It is true that with the major changes coming ahead we'll likely attract more diverse people though, so... I don't know. I'd say a balance needs to be struck between the old bases and the new ones proposed here.

(Also, hi guys! Long time no see. Sweat )

(PS: I'm willing to help with adjustments/redesigning of old items when the time comes, or any other art stuff.)

(PPS: If you decide to give them that realistic build, the head would have to be different too. Realistic body plus not so realistic/proportionate face kinda weirds me out. Ok I think that's all.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote        
I know I'm a little late... But I love the new avatar concept! As a girl, I want more stocky feminine bases for my avatars without resorting to full on dwarf like in Dragon Age (albeit that's actually playing as a dwarf so it fits the lore but I don't like the elf/human female body model).

My only thing is maybe having an arm out? The (our) left one like the base on Roliana (sorry can think of any other visual references), but instead of a fist a more relaxed open hand gesture (though that would be hard to implement for holding). Or, one arm up with the hand in a fist at the shoulder, like the David sculpture? I understand if both down is more aesthetically pleasing to everyone but me and definitely if it's easier to design for. I just kind of feel like a slightly more 'action' pose would look better with the handhelds that are pretty much all weapons.

I kind of miss the days when I would wander around in my chainmail bikini...
Rainbow Saliva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote        
I am so excited about the nevv avis and the other development going on, like my gods it's all so avvesome!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:40 pm Reply with quote        
I'm liking everything so far. As for the bases, I'd like them more if they were more smoother in appearance. Even so, I like the the bases a lot. Better then the once we have now.
Catghost
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote        
Thanks for all the input on the avatars! I will definitely be taking a step back and re-evaluating the direction we're going to take for them. Right now a few other things are occupying my attention. Smile

Also, we're still in need of a web programmer. If you know anyone, or are interested yourself, we have additional details posted to the tumblr.