Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Theater
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote        
The Undercity: IC

Present day, or close enough. Mid-winter. Denver, the Mile-High City, metropolis for all sentient non-human creatures in the Mountain Time Zone. Wait, that’s not quite right. Just underneath Denver is that supernatural metropolis: Undercity, the not-quite-Mile-High City.

An idyllic paradise, this is not. All the supernatural beings crowded into one city, with a mostly absent ruling group, beset on all sides by barbaric creatures? No, paradise is nowhere to be found. Anarchy rules, and the strong and ruthless rise. The Undercity is a world of tenuous balances and shades of gray. There is only one ironclad rule to remember.

DO. NOT. LEAVE.

(created by Malverne, Koyi'Tar, and Ravebloodnymph)

Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote        
Rules

0. Don't be a dick.

1. Follow Midorea's ToS

2. I respect your creative choices and will work with you to do things, but I do have ultimate control over the events. So, as a warning, characters will be injured, disabled, and possibly killed. If your character dies, you are automatically invited to create another character if you would like.

I'm gonna leave that one blank, as I may add more or not, but at the moment I'm gonna have faith in your guys' abilities to hold to rule zero. Words of guidance? Sure. Communicate with each other, with me. It's a shared experience, so let's work together. If you have ideas, thoughts, grievances, let us know. I'm gonna keep an open mind in this rp, so this should be fun.

Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote        
Relevant Links

OOC: out of character threads for idea-bouncing, plot bunnies, amusing observation, and general chatting. It's got the relevant setting information.

Character list for easy reference.

Fun fact of the Undercity! The best restaurants in the city can found in the naga district, but they almost always have goblin chefs.

Not so fun fact of the Undercity! Harpies clothe themselves in the tanned hides of the City-goers that they find in their territory!

Current Story

"Where is the ghost?"

Our party, a ragtag group quickly and haphazardly assembled, are descending down into the Deep Wilds, in search of a runaway ghost who is in possession of Tower secrets. Success means freedom. Failure means death. Because the dwarves will grind you to dust. Good luck! Happy

Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:00 am Reply with quote        
Far above, it's snowing. The sun set hours before, and a frosty grip descended over the city of Denver. Icy wind whips through the streets, chilling each and every human to the bone. Even the natives, those who grew up in the mountains, bustle around in oversized coats, scarves wrapped around every inch of exposed skin. Only the truly crazy are excited about the swirling snow, proclaiming that the slopes were going to be especially choice the following morning.

A young man wanders the streets alone, appearing comfortable despite the bitter temperature. He is intent on something, his purpose indiscernible.

It's 10 pm, and Denver is slowing down a little. Below it, though, the Undercity is just waking up.

Granite Street and Marlbough Ave: Ranger's Station.

Morinth leaned on the flickering streetlamp, yawning hugely. The almost-spent cigarette in her hand had an odd scent to it. Those with particularly keen noses might identify mint, and possibly even the distinctive smell of fresh mud. Greyscale Special, best in the city.

With a scowl, the naga flicked the cigarette to the ground and stomped it to dust with her heel. It'd been nearly a week since she'd gotten back from her last ranging; more than enough time for her requests for a new assignment to make its way through the pipes. Two days was the normal turnaround rate.

Morinth glanced at her watch. Only twenty more minutes until the mail came. Maybe she'd get her next assignment...

Dantes23

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote        
The shriek of a small child rips through the air as Skaeth threw theirself out of a window, laughing wildly. While they had always enjoyed simple tricks, such as the classic 'boo' or making doors shut, nothing was quite so pleasant as a face to face shriek.

They'd been haunting this kid for weeks and it still hadn't gotten old. Skaeth had realized early on that nothing frightens kids more than scaring them when they first wake up, there's an art to catching a kid just plummeting out of a nightmare.

But with everyone awake and another fight night complete, Skaeth scrunched their nose and sighed, for it would be another long while before they would get the chance to scare again.

They made their way though the streets, humming some old three days grace songs and watching people live their lives.
Kinslayer6788

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote        
Kruth'al stared at the fire, watching the glowing flame jump off the charcoaled logs under them. His father looked down on him reached his entire fist into the fire, and pulled out a glowing branding iron. The iron seemed huge in the trolls hands as the bull came closer to him.

Suddenly he is pushed to the ground, his long fangs kiss the dirt beneath him. He struggled, but knew that his older brothers were holding him down. Not letting him flail. Not letting him fail them. His father held the iron over his sons neck.

"Now a member of clan Grandoul shall you trully be!" As he struck down with the brand.

"AHHH!"

Kruth’al woke up in a panic. He hated nightmares, espically ones that actually happened. He turned over and looked at the alarm. "Crap, I'm late again."

Twenty-five minutes later he jogged down the street to his temp postion as a bouncer of the bar where the nearest Mason chapter held thier meetings. He was important enough to be there, but not enough to weigh his option in.

Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote        
The young man brushes the snow from his shoulders as he steps under an awning. From the back pocket of his jeans, he pulls a small notebook, full of notes (as notebooks often are). He quickly flips through the covered pages, easily finding the folded piece of paper tucked into the book. With a quiet rustle, the boy unfolds the paper and reads it, even though he's already memorized every word. It's unchanged. An address, half a block away.

The boy folds the paper back up and slips it back into the notebook, which he then puts into its proper place in his back pocket. From his front pocket, he pulls a cell phone, thumbs tapping out a quick text message.

Found it, he types, then shoves the phone back into the pocket.

The young man flips his hood up and continues walking. He glances at the building indicated by the address, his senses narrowing in. A tiny tightening of the eyelids show he's found what he's looking for. From there, it's only a matter of set up.

The young man finds a spot to sit, knowing that he'll be seen by his target as soon as she's alerted. He checks his phone once more.

One unread message.

We're ready.

With that, the young man puts his phone away once more, and narrows his eyes. It only takes a tiny assertion of his will to create the sound, a sound he knows that only she will hear.

"Ava."

lexi luthor
Coordinator
Coordinator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote        
Once the sun had set Ava was out and about in her usual manner. She was starving as the last few nights of dumpster diving had been rather unsuccessful. She was hopeful tonight though, and picked a dumpster down an alley that was used by a bakery that normally threw out their stale bread on Tuesday nights.

"Would be easier to just make someone feel really guilty and take their bread." she mumbled as she sifted through the dumpster. Of course, that wasn't exactly an easy task let alone a smart one. The journal in her hoodie pocket stressed to never use magic in public. Not that she even remembered the parents who gave her the journal. With a grunt she moved a large piece of junk out of the way and JACKPOT!

She sat back against the wall of the dumpster and chowed down on her loaf of bread. 'Ava', she heard the voice clear and nearly jumped out of the dumpster. Terror gripped her, she didn't recognize the voice. She peeked over the edge of the dumpster and saw a man in black at the front of the alley crouched on a box.

Was this one of the people her journal warned her about? Someone who would try and take her down underneath? "W-who are you?" she asked, her voice shaking with fear. She could feel her magic begin to spin out, she was certain anyone within ten feet of her would be suddenly wrecked with fear. It seemed like the man was a little further away than ten feet though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote        
The young man slipped off the box and started walking toward the dumpster.

"My name's Sam," he called, taking his hands out of his hoodie's pocket's in a gesture of peacefulness, "No need to be scared." Now ten feet away, he stopped.

"Can I buy you some dinner?" Sam asked, "Wherever you wanna go. That's open, of course." Now that he was closer, Ava could probably see that he was eighteen or so, somewhere around six feet tall, and clearly of Asian descent. Even in the dim lighting, she could probably see that his eyes, instead of the normal black, were a pale lavender.

"Don't worry," he said, after a pause, "I'm not what you suspect. I promise." Sam didn't give her a calming smile, but the slight upward angling of his eyebrows gave him an innocent expression. What harm could one Asian kid do, especially to a prodigal young mage?

lexi luthor
Coordinator
Coordinator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote        
Ava peered at the man over the edge of the dumpster. What business would he have getting her dinner anyway? It was her stomach that ultimately won out as it growled at her something fierce. One small loaf of bread wasn't really filling 3 days of hunger.

He seemed harmless enough? But if there was one thing she learned hanging around with a gang it was that nobody should be trusted. She pursed her lips, troubled with the decision.

"Well.. then why would you offer me food? What's the catch?" she asked, still unwilling to leave the safety of her dumpster.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote        
Sam shrugged, and put his hands into the pockets of his hoodie.

"I offer you food because you're currently dumpster diving for your first real meal in three days," he said, "You don't have to take me up on it. The catch, at the moment? Just an open conversation, which can happen either here, or with food, indoors. Your choice." Sam shrugged again, and started nibbling on his thumb. Each exhale was clearly visible in the freezing night air, but Sam didn't seem uncomfortable, despite his thin layers.

lexi luthor
Coordinator
Coordinator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote        
Ava frowned, "How did you know..?" Well, it seemed like she didn't have much of a choice. Running, he'd probably catch her, and she was hungry as hell. Somehow this guy knew what her past three days were like, sketchy as hell, yes, but it probably meant he was very prepared.

"Alright fine." she said, and hopped out of the dumpster, landing almost daintily on the ground. She was still on edge as she walked up to the man, or teen rather.

"Uhm so.. I guess I'll take you up on the offer." she said awkwardly, her hands shoved in her hoodie pocket and her gaze not leaving the man's shoes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote        
Sam shrugged again.

"I guessed," he said, "Dumpster diving street kids generally don't get full meals. C'mon, there's a diner not far." With that, Sam started walking, making sure that Ava was actually following.

"To avoid dead air," he said, "Let's chat. How long have you been on the streets? Favorite color? Any particular craving? Is this how small talk works? I don't do it much." Despite his words, Sam didn't look particularly uncomfortable, only vaguely inquisitive as he walked briskly down the street.

"Oh, and if you have any questions for me, feel free to ask. No need to wait until we're fed to address any elephants in the room."

lexi luthor
Coordinator
Coordinator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote        
She followed in stride a few steps behind him, sometimes jogging to keep up with his brisk pace.

"Uuhhhm, As long as I remember, purple, waffles, and sure it sounds small talky enough to me." she said then pursed her lips and shrugged.

"As for questions for you.. Why are your eyes a weird color, and how did you say my name as if you were sitting right next to me?" she let out a huff as another question came to mind, "And how did you know my name anyways?" she stopped walking and crossed her arms. This guy was weird, she could understand him guessing how long she'd gone without food, but her name? nononono.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:43 pm Reply with quote        
Nami woke to the blaring of her alarm clock, normally it would have been followed by her fathers voice saying to turned the damned thing off and come get her food, her lessons, and head to work. Now it was just the alarm clock and silence, she sighed and turned off the clock and went to eat.

She took a quick look at the note that had been left by her new instructor about actually showing up for her lesson so she could refine her abilities. She just shrugged and ignored it and headed to the shop she helped to run.

"Hey Nix how goes it?" She said getting the usual grunt from the goblin that ran the place. He was an ok fellow and had been somewhat friends of her fathers. Which was probably the only reason she had the job here. She went about her normal duties cleaning the shelves and making things look nice so people might want to buy them.