Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Arts
Saygen40

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:49 pm Reply with quote        
There's nothing like a good dystopian science fiction novel to make you thankful for what you have, if what you have isn't at least that.

1. What are some of your most favorite sci fi books/series?

2. Favorite dystopian series in particular?

3. Why do ya like 'em?

Any good suggestions for series I could read?

I've been on a bit of a kick recently with these genres, so here's what I've read within the last couple months:

The Handmaid's Tale
The Wind-Up Girl
Divergent Series
Ready Player One

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote        
I'm not sure that the books I like would count as sci fi so I don't think I can answer that first question Sad

Dystopian series however... I LOVE Divergent, The Hunger Games and Delirium! I know there are plenty more out there and I can't wait to read them!

I just love the idea, idk I can't really explain it haha

Just the two that I mentioned earlier, but if I find out anymore series, I'll let you know!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote        
I read The Hunger Games too! I loved that series and they're doing a good job with the movies so far.

The first two books of Divergent were great (especially the first), but the third one kinda ruined it for me. :/

Delirium? Hmm, I shall have to look into that one. I think I heard someone else talking about that one, too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote        
Maze Runner is a good book, although I haven't read the sequels. If you're into classics with maybe some sociopolitical brainwashing, 1984 is never a bad idea, or maybe even Brave New World. Are you looking more for young adult books, or just dystopias in general?

Saygen40

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote        
I've heard of Maze Runner too, so I'll have to give that one a try.

I read 1984 back in high school! I loved that book! Happy And yes, I'm into the classics - 'twas the reason I decided to pick up Handmaid's Tale.

I'm having problems reading Young Adult books now, to be honest. Hunger Games and Divergent is about the lowest quality I can go, but I'm definitely leaning toward more "adult" books. I tried reading the Uglies series, but couldn't continue because it was very much written for a younger audience.

I'm not afraid of political sci fi books either. I read the first four books of the Dune series, but those just become more unbelievable and increasingly pretentious.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote        
teh Enders Game series is well written, although I personally refuse to give money to Orson Scott Card because he's an obnoxious dickface. Another one that pops to mind that's less dystopian and more sci-fi is Starship Troopers. I saw a tumblr post that had a graphic of books like the Hunger Games....linked here. Incarceron is another weird one wherein no one is really happy, although again, I've only read the first one, and it was kinda weeeeird...

Oh! Watchmen! Graphic novel, converted to a movie. Very good.

(I tend more toward fantasy than dystopia, so I do apologize for not being very helpful...)

Saygen40

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:17 pm Reply with quote        
Ooo, that link is actually very helpful. What a good blog idea. I read Ender's Game, but I heard the other books in the series can't really compare. :/

I never did see Watchmen, so I might have to read it first. Very good suggestions, thank you. Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:40 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah, no problem. If you ever need any other book recs, lemme know. I always need my ego inflated a little.

Saygen40

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote        
Haha, will do. XD

Actually, do you know of any good ghost/grim reaper books?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote        
Ghost/grim reaper? Hmm, there was an Eoin Colfer book about a ghost...I think it was called the Wish List or something? I quite enjoyed it. There were a couple of Dresden Files books where the MC was a ghost. And a side-character in the Nightside series was a zombie-person-thing called Deadboy, but neither of those series are specifically about ghosts/grim reapers/dead people.

Nothing else is coming to mind right now, though I'll keep thinking on it.

Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote        
Oh! More dystopian novels! Linkie!

Nimue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote        
It' scary how many of those I've read so far. O.o

But I love how she breaks it down into groupings! I'm thinking Maze Runner and Brave New World will be my next two purchases.

Also, Ready Player One is in my top 3 most favorite books of all time. So much nerdy awesomeness I didn't think I'd actually enjoy.

Thanks Malv! Happy

Edit:
*a wild mule runs through*

Edit ^2: Okay, I've actually only read 8 of those books, but I've watched the shows for a bunch of 'em.
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:09 pm Reply with quote        
aye, no problem.

CopperSpiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote        
The Long Light trilogy. Don't remember who by, it's a YA series I really love. It doesn't come off as dystopian in the first book, that really sets in during the second and it's wonderful. You'd have to get it off amazon, I don't think it can be found in stores anymore.

The Clonery: Come join the mimicry fun!

PlumBerry is my mule.