Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Lounge
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Nab Cachet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote        
i've been thinking about extra craft things i could do on the side for a bit of extra cash, do any of you have luck selling on ebay and the like? maybe i'll take up crochet. i thought about making wigs too, i bet i could make a killing doing elaborate anime cosplay wigs.
Sharm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote        
Crafting for cash isn't really worth it in my experience. You get paid way less than minimum wage for your time even if you're fast. If you try to keep the price at a reasonable range to compensate for your time, no one wants to buy it. But who knows, maybe you could make it work. Do a test before you sink any real cash into it, something that you wouldn't mind keeping if it doesn't work out.
Nab Cachet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote        
Sharm wrote:
Crafting for cash isn't really worth it in my experience. You get paid way less than minimum wage for your time even if you're fast. If you try to keep the price at a reasonable range to compensate for your time, no one wants to buy it. But who knows, maybe you could make it work. Do a test before you sink any real cash into it, something that you wouldn't mind keeping if it doesn't work out.

oh thank you! i wasn't intending it to be a job replacement, just a supplement
SheWhoTamPlays

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote        
I crochet. I learned when I was a teenager and immediately started making my own patterns because my mother, who taught me, didn't know how to read patterns. She was a granny square lady, but I went right into doll and doll dress making. I got a few second hand patterns and then used the basic shapes I learned to go nuts. All those old projects are long gone now, and for years (I'm forty now) my eyes and hands wouldn't let me do anymore crochet. But recently I've started making dresses for the little dolls that I braid and foist off on other people, and for the dolls that live here with me. Just simple little things of thread.

I think the thing I'm most proud of doing with crochet is getting two friends started on it who have done a lot more crocheting than I have gotten done yet. One makes her own doll patterns for smurfs and Dr. Who and such, and the other buys many patterns and has made many toys and is currently working on what would be my nemesis, which is a blanket of squares. But then, she has a husband willing to sew all the squares together for her! Oh Mai
Sharm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:13 am Reply with quote        
I hate anything that requires stitching at the end too. I avoid granny squares for that reason but if I am doing something that requires it I usually just end up crocheting the pieces together. It stays together better that way anyway. If you're clever about it, it doesn't add too much bulk either.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote        
A few years back, I played around with chainmail. I made small things like cigarette box holders, belt pouches, and some light jewelry. They sold well enough at gaming and sci-fi conventions to buy beer for the last day and gas to get home. You will never get rich off of it's simple to make. You can make the stuff while watching television or reading. It is time consuming but I would imagine crocheting is also.
SheWhoTamPlays

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote        
I suppose it is time consuming. But I always do it because I want the finished project, and I have a poor sense of time, so I don't really notice.

Sharm, I used to crochet things together whenever I could get away with it too. XD