Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Writing Chat
Saygen40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote        
Ever run across a well-constructed literary term (irony, alliteration, imagery, allusion, metaphor, etc.) that made you pause for a moment to appreciate its beauty?

Feel like sharing your own attempts with devices in your writing?

Post them here!

Keep in mind that when quoting a book/magazine/web-thingy you should put in it quote form.

Quote:
And now, here they were under a blanket of gold dust, the Milky Way spread over them like some shifting blanket, the stars so thick that if he were tall enough he could reach up and squeeze them and have them run down his arms.
-The Wind-Up Girl

Bonus points to people who can guess the source. Edit: Once your source has been guessed, update your post to include the citation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote        
This is a little something I wrote trying to use imagery, a little alliteration and metaphor a while back. Okay actually I was just writing spontaneously in open studio at my day program but...It feels like a good metaphor in a way...

Quote:
Mix them with spring water, the herbs of summer, winter and fall. Seasons unite in one cup, colored a black darker than charcoal yet lighter than air. Frayed string encompasses the molded mixture, petals of peonies floating atop the dark, vile liquid. With a stench stronger than a skunk, but as soothing as a rose, one touch to the skin will burn your heart and chill your mind.

It is the elixir of life, is it not? The gentleness of love; the sour taste of despair; the darkness of each night and the light of each day! The sun, the clouds and the seas combine. And with a sip that lasts a lifetime, you must decide: will you indulge in the uncertain drink? Or will it wither by your side?

KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote        
I've never put much stock in attampting to include such devices. Either you can think of them or you can't, otherwise all you need to know is what the hell they are. Probably why I did so miserably on my English GCSE exam papers, I just can't think of it unless I have time.

That said, I did come up with this bit of alliteration that I'm quite proud of for the descriptive writing prompt of a winter's day:
Quote:
[The snow had] the consistency of congealed cappucino

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!
Which I'm good at spotting, apparently...
Saygen40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote        
@ June: I love yours! The descriptive words were well suited to the theme of the paragraph and the whole thing had a poetic quality. Happy

@ Kathira: This reminds me of the one time I dropped my hot chocolate in the snow. lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote        
Say, I'm using your memory to concoct a quick simile of my own.

Quote:
The pup slurped at the white fluff as though it were the most phenomenal treat in the world, making Winter the best chef in history.

AKA my dog used to eat the snow. He may have even eaten your hot chocolate xD

Saygen40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:03 am Reply with quote        
Oh gosh, my dog used to eat snow too. At first it started out as curiosity, but as she became older it turned into something she began to fear...like a hair dryer.

Have you guys ever read a series, loved it, then became so disappointed by the last book that you want to put the book aside and create your own ending? >.>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:56 am Reply with quote        
That's normal. Some series drag on too much and such >w<