Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:02 am Reply with quote        
This site is a female majority and has an international representation. That has a different prospective than I am used to. I am curious what the general opinion is from the various countries about whether civilians should be able to own guns. In my state of Iowa, USA, most people can get a permit to carry weapons. You have to take a safety class, get a background search, and can't have been convicted of a felony. If you pass these things, you can legally own and carry a small arsenal of guns. But we do not have a 'stand your ground' law so if you actually use any of them, you will likely be arrested.

What is the general opinion of gun control for the rest of you?
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote        
Guns don't kill people. It's usually the bullets.

Okay, in all seriousness, I personally stand by the British method: no guns allowed unless you're a farmer who is then allowed to shoot foxes etc. that are on his/her land. Otherwise, no guns, end of. After all, guns make it so much easier to kill someone rather than just injure them that it's better for there to be no guns. Preventing civilians from owning guns also means that police won't need to carry guns themselves and shoot a random civilian they suddenly believe to be carrying a weapon, regardless of if said 'weapon' really is one (shoot him, he has a wallet).

No guns in civilian hands also prevents bigoted idiots (of which the US has way too many) from deciding 'The police won't help me kill that nigger who has no right to live, so I'll do it myself!' Guns make it way too easy to actually pull this off.

But that's my relatively uninformed opinion, based on growing up in a country where seeing a gun is largely restricted to films, TV, video games, and the internet.

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!
Which I'm good at spotting, apparently...
Weaseldale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote        
I think it should be much more difficult to buy guns here in the US, but I don't really think they should be illegal. Where I live in the US (North Carolina), permits and background checks are only required when purchasing a handgun, and my general understanding is that is pretty common in a lot of states. Permits and background checks should definitely be required... I feel like with all the mass shootings we have psych evals should be too but I don't know if I know enough to say that for sure.

I also think there should be stricter rules enforcing police gun use... But I don't want to get into polic brutality and such here.

Uni has swallowed me whole, in more ways than one, sorry guys. Feel free to PM any questions (or nonquestions {or anything else, no limits here}) you have, although I don't know when I'll get to them since I'm barely on atm.
CopperSpiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote        
California here, I also think there should be more regulations on gun ownership. I'm in favour of psych evals by trained professionals, even though I realize that with the current medical stance on Bipolar Disorder, I likely wouldn't pass.

I also don't see the point of civilians owning handguns. They are only used for fighting or threatening other humans. It seems to me that makes things more dangerous for everyone.

Thanks for the question, Strix! It's a neat one.

The Clonery: Come join the mimicry fun!

PlumBerry is my mule.
Mock

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote        
I'm with Kath on this one.

Short post is short, sorry.

WEREWOLVES!
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote        
I remember my father taking me on hunting/camping trips. We knew a farmer family who would let us hunt his back woods (during hunting season and with a proper hunting license of course). We would set up our tent near a small creek for the weekend and hunt rabbits the first day. The second day we would clean and prepare them for cooking over the campfire. We would spend a good part of the second day shooting innocent soup cans off a fence and shooting skeet (little clay discs you shoot with shotguns). Many of my friends would have similar hunting campouts.

I can understand why guns get a bad reputation. The news loves to show pictures of gun wielding gangs after a drug deal went bad or the one student out of several thousand that can't take the pressure and shoots up the school. For me, guns have always had good memories of family and friends getting away from the computers and school desks. A chance to safely pretend to be the savage wild man for a while before having to rejoin society.

I agree that it should at least be harder getting a gun license than it is getting a driving license but I wouldn't want to become so difficult the average family couldn't have a chance. I would just hate to see that option go away for todays youth.

That being said, I see how the British style works well for the Brits since everyone was born and raised that way. Change is usually hard no matter what direction it goes and the last thing you want to do is give out a lot of guns to people who have never been trained to use them safely.
SeizingSpades

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote        
I'm not really for taking away guns. But I am American. So I might be biased.

But at least here, I'm aware that majority of gun issues, are from illegal guns, those bought on the black market, which is created by making them harder to obtain.

When people get shot, by accident or on purpose, it usually it is not a registered gun.

Unless you are talking suicides, which are often done with legal weapons. And while suicide is tragic and should have every precaution to prevent it, this doesn't mean taking away a civil right of someone else, it means available therapy, and support systems, and people doing their best to recognize depression, and help those they care about, if in any way they can.

I don't own any guns, I only ever shot them as a child with family, but I understand some peoples importance on being able to collect, shoot, whether it be for stress reasons, or for killing animals to use their meat, and other parts. I can't kill an animal, even though I am no vegetarian. But the choice to allow other to be able to use everything that they kill, is something that should be afforded to them.

But teenagers getting guns and shooting schools, and gangs shooting each other, aren't the guns that are regulated.

And owners shooting those who trespass, are in their right, because it is their home, their livlihood, and it is being threatened, and a criminal takes that risk.

I think guns do need regulations that they have now, but more focus needs to go to stopping illegal trade, and weeding out corrupted officials who are supposed to look for them, rather than awareness of the havoc guns cause, encouraging the elimination of rights. Smile
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote        
Okay, I have since discovered a thing I'd like to bring up around this issue. I still stand by my stance that guns should be made illegal...but only in the US. The thing is, there are plenty of countries who allow guns in civilian hands but have far lower gun crime rates than the US. Which confirms something to me that I've long suspected about the US.

To use an analogy, the US is a misguided, ill-informed young teenager who wants to make his mark, who wants to do things his way, but with little regard for the consequences. He wants all the rights but with none of the responsibilities. The thing is, there's a reason kids aren't allowed to do things such as drink, drive, vote, own a gun. Because they can't be trusted with it. So, this teenager has been given a gun but uses it far less responsibly than other countries. And what you should do with a misbehaving teenager not using something you've given them responsibly is to take it off them before they do too much damage. Of course they'll protest, they'll demand you don't, but you should take it off them, drill into their heads how to be responsible, and then give it back as a reward.

So, yeah, I hope the analogy is simple enough to follow. Basically, my stance is that the US is too irrisponsible with their firearms and should have them taken away. Not forever, but until they become more responsible.

WEREWOLVES!
Which I'm good at spotting, apparently...