Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Crispy Bacon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote        
French/guttural Rs, man, I just can't do 'em, and don't even get me started on rolling Rs. At this point, I'm considering not even trying and just pronouncing everything horribly wrong. I don't even know why I'm taking French, I'm probably going to end up with a 70 by the end of the semester if I'm lucky. ಠ_ಠ

Any words/linguistic-things that you guys struggle with? In French or English or otherwise?

(ALSO PHYSICS COUNTS AS A LANGUAGE RIGHT BECAUSE WOW IT MIGHT AS WELL BE GERMAN BECAUSE I WOULD UNDERSTAND THAT BETTER AND THAT'S SAYING SOMETHING BECAUSE THE ONLY GERMAN WORDS I KNOW ARE DANKE AND GUTEN TAG)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote        
I've taken 3 high school courses of German, and am taking my 4th this spring, and my pronunciation is absolutely horrendous. Luckily, everyone else's seems to be worse than mine, so I'm okay with that. XD I've always had trouble rolling 'r's for other languages, and those weird accents where you have to just flick your tongue differently? Forget it. But the one thing I can do properly is the umlaut stuff in German. The double-dots above the letters that kind of just change the tone of that one letter slightly? Yeah. That's one of the few things I can do almost properly.

Guten Abend, Frau Bacon~ Ich heisse Kacey. *waves*
Saygen40

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:57 pm Reply with quote        
I took a little bit of French in middle school, but decided to do German in high school. French is...really more complicated than German. German has words that can directly transfer over (like Guten Tag for Good day), but with French it throws in au' and la' and ev' and whatever else. Looking back, I'm really happy I chose German over French.

I've never been able to hit the German, back of the throat, raspy 'R' sound though. My boyfriend in German so i hear him do it all the time, but I'm convinced it can only be achieved before a certain age (like, 4).

(Guten abend, Kacey. Wie geht's? Das Wetter sind sehr Neblig und ich kann meine Socken nicht finden. )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote        
I had half a year of French in middle school, and that was it. It was the language I did worst at. Even though my mom took it in college and tried to teach me. Repeatedly. And I'm about 1/5 French-Canadian from her side of the family, too...
I know a teeny bit of Japanese from having lived there when I was 7 and 8 years old. I also lived in South Korea when I was 5/6, but I remember none of the language.
I know a bit of Spanish from a year and a half of it in middle school, but most of that's gone from my brain, or at the very least shoved into a dark corner, covered in dust bunnies.
German...The raspy 'r' sound is really hard to do, along with the growly 'ich' sound. Half the time, I sound like I'm saying 'itch', half the time I wind up saying 'ick'. Oh, or sometimes I sound like 'ish'. I think that's when I'm closest...And my dad keeps trying to talk to me in German because his mom (My Oma) was from Germany. She'd talk to me in German a lot when I was little when we visited her. Neither my dad nor I can speak it fluently, but sometimes we'll have simple conversations.

(Me, trying to translate: 'Good evening, Kacey. How are you/How goes it? The weather is very...Something...And you can't find your socks. Cold? The weather's cold? I can't remember what Neblig means...'
Was I right? I haven't taken any German since the end of last school year, and it was pretty much self-taught, since I was doing a homebound program and not actually going into classes. Almost like temporary home-schooling, but I pretty much taught myself and gave the work to my teachers.)
Saygen40

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote        
The throaty 'ich' sound is something I have finally accomplished. My boyfriend saw to that because I was annoying him with it. XD

You are correct! Neblig means foggy as far as I can tell - had to look up that one.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:42 am Reply with quote        
Hahaha, rrrrrrrrrrrrrookies. -cackles in the distance-

No but I have a huge advantage seeing as I've lived in Spain my whole life. >_> In fact, knowing both spanish and english has been a huge help with learning french (because is is often very similar structurally and linguistically to spanish, and its pronunciation is more similar to english). I've never gotten into german, and I don't really want to. It sounds hard.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote        
My dad is fluent in Māori, which uses a Scottish R, and I took French in high school, so I've got those two R's sussed. Also, I have a good ear, and lots of practice in making various silly noises, so I can pretty much replicate any pronunciation that I hear.

I have a German dictionary (one of many bilingual dictionaries in my possession), but I've never learnt the language. I'd like to learn it someday, but my current studies take precedence.

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:34 pm Reply with quote        
I love rolling 'r's, and can do then with ease, but I'm terrible with foreign languages. No matter how similar the language is to English, I just can't remember the vocabulary or grammar rules, and it drives me nuts. Can't believe I got a C in my French GCSE.

I know more German than you, Crispy! I know 'yes' and 'no', and the English 'yes' comes from the German: 'ja' (pronounced 'yah'), and 'nein' (pronounced 'nine). The English 'no' comes from the French 'non'.

WEREWOLVES!
Which I'm good at spotting, apparently...
Juneberry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:03 pm Reply with quote        
I can't roll an 'r', but I'm really good at making the ach-sound as it's called. I don't speak any German, which is one common place it's used...But I had to learn it early due to Hebrew school. Ironically, I probably know as much German as I do Hebrew. xD

And Bacon, Physics or 'science' is definitely a language. And I understand basically none of it >:c

Personally, I mostly get confused with dialects when it comes to languages. For example, Japanese. I've learned four said two different ways.

Another confusing thing is when a word sounds like another word in another language...Such as Hebrew. To say "he" in Hebrew, you say "hu" (which sounds like who). Also ironically, saying the word "he" is the way you say the word "she" in Hebrew. It's a common and annoying joke because it's a pain in the butt to understand. Seriously. He and She are two of the weirdest words on the planet. Besides weird. Which is the top. xD

KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote        
I understand a lot of the language of !!SCIENCE!!, and I love it.

One step to making tea is putting in enough thermal energy into dihydrogen monoxide that some of the bond between the molecules break, while the rest is simply very hot. Around 373K, I'd say, which the traditional receptical used manages with ease, provided it has direct access to alternating current electric flow.

Cookie to anyone who actually works through this and tells me what I'm going on about! The solution's actually really simple.

WEREWOLVES!
Juneberry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote        
I can translate part of that, but the rest would be easier to translate in Hebrew. Well maybe not. Actually no, definitely not. Considering the whole who is he, he is she and me is who thing...

Mock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote        
KathiraNarae wrote:
I understand a lot of the language of !!SCIENCE!!, and I love it.

One step to making tea is putting in enough thermal energy into dihydrogen monoxide that some of the bond between the molecules break, while the rest is simply very hot. Around 373K, I'd say, which the traditional receptical used manages with ease, provided it has direct access to alternating current electric flow.

Cookie to anyone who actually works through this and tells me what I'm going on about! The solution's actually really simple.

One step to making tea is boiling water until some of it evaporates, while the rest is simply very hot. Around 100 degrees C, which a kettle can easily manage, provided it has electricity.

WEREWOLVES!
KaceyCat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:42 pm Reply with quote        
...An electric kettle? I feel weird in that I've never seen one. I don't think my household even owns a kettle at all, electric or not. I mean, I know what they are and stuff, but I've never seen one in person. We just have a coffee machine that makes coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. Oh, and cider. It's one of those Keurig things that you get the individual cup-packet-things for.
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:01 am Reply with quote        
Yeah, my family sticks to one coffee maker (because instant coffee is too expensive in Canada in comparison...and we do not like coffee from Tim Horten's) and one kettle for pasta, some veg, and my tea. Cookie to Mock, although Strix sent me a brilliant PM and got showered in cookies.

Fact: Strix Varia is actually completely awesome.

WEREWOLVES!
Whitewitch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:25 pm Reply with quote        
I could probably be pretty good at languages - my French used to be fluent (though I haven't used it for a long time), and I usually pick up a few words if I go somewhere different. I know a couple of words in Arabic, Russian, Bosnian, Spanish, Italian, Welsh... Welsh has some very strange sounds!