Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Writing Chat
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote        
I'm a great reader - when it comes to analysis and reading comprehension. I get hung up on details and sit there analyzing a couple of pages for half an hour. I'm just not a speed reader.

But, that needs to change. Obviously I can't go back to my collection for speed reading purposes. I've even tried going back and re-reading a few lighter things, but I end up falling back into that same old pattern of annotating and analyzing, even looking things up as I go. So, I decided to branch out and pick up a genre that I haven't read since middle school: horror.

Now, I know one of the first suggestions is going to be Lovecraft. And no, I haven't read anything of his. However, Lovecraft's work is great in part because he writes things drenched in symbolism... which is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I need easy horror books that have no hidden meanings besides the monsters in the closet. It'll be hard enough for me to break myself of the habit of analyzing what I read, so I need light horror novels. Any suggestions?

(And yes, I do still plan on picking up some Lovecraft books when I get the money.)

Zillah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote        
I know just what you mean! I've had to stop reading altogether for the last few years because I'm just so slow that I don't have the time to read at my own pace. I absorb and comprehend everything when I read, but like you, I like to take my time soaking it in and reflecting on it as I go.

Stephen King was one of my favorite authors right before I stopped reading. One of my favorites of his that's quite spooky and pretty short is Pet Sematary.

If you are looking for something even lighter, I read a lot of YA horror in middle and high school as well, but it would take me a while to come up with some suggestions for you since I barely remember anything I read way back then.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote        
Right! I've managed well with my pace up until this point, but I want to be able to get through assignments and readings faster.

I've thought about Stephen King. I can't remember much about his books... only read a few. I'll try him out though. Thanks. :]

superbinka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:18 pm Reply with quote        
Try something by Richard Matheson, he's quite good, and his writing is very different from Lovecraft's.