Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:02 pm Reply with quote        
I was playing a military based board game with some friends the other day and we started debating how different governmental styles would effect the efficiency of military, economic, religious, and moral development. Dictatorships aren't necessarily bad and Democracies aren't necessarily good. It probably has a lot to do with population size and overall national goals. Personally I prefer the Monarchy style of government for various reasons.

If you could magically create a country to become the leader of, what sort of country would you want and what government would you set for it?

I am more interested in the factors that you would consider for choosing your government. Population size, tech level, economic base, terrain features, time period, or any other thoughts that would help you decide if you wanted to be President or king or Kahn or furor or dictator or Tzar or whatever.
Juneberry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:11 pm Reply with quote        
This is a really interesting topic! For me, I think the terrain would be part of the key influences in how the general public live, and as such how they'd need to be governed to begin with, but also factor such as the technological availability and other such things it's actually quite hard to say.

If I magically created a country, I'd probably choose to be a mixture of democratic and monarchy at the same time. I'd like for a general monarchy with one distinct ruler, but that the ruler can be easily overthrown if the public deem them unworthy. If such a thing happened, the public could then elect who they deem worthy of the monarch's seat, and then the monarchy would continue. Also, certain laws would require popular vote among the people to be put into effect. Basically, I think it'd be best to have a sort of mixed government in that country...A country where though there is one sole ruler, there is also a strong sense of choice among the people overall.

Strix Varia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote        
Juneberry wrote:
but that the ruler can be easily overthrown if the public deem them unworthy. If such a thing happened, the public could then elect who they deem worthy of the monarch's seat, and then the monarchy would continue.

That is the part that I was always uncertain on. A government is supposed to guide and represent the people but does that mean that the government should give the people what they need or what they want? There have been many unpopular presidents through history that made unpopular decisions which history later proved was the best possible choice at the time.

The general population always likes to be comfortable today even at the expense of tomorrow. If a leader always has to pander to current public desires, they can never make long term plans for the improvement of the country. You can explain that not cutting down trees this year and planting more saplings in the spring will give people more firewood in years to come but if the people get cold this winter and see all the trees you aren't letting them cut down to burn, they will think you have failed them and remove you from office before the next generation of trees can grow.
Juneberry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:48 am Reply with quote        
You do make a good point. That's why I said that it should be for certain subjects that voting is necessary. It's important to give a little to the desires of the people, but only on more general topics. For topics that are very strict and have excessive impact on the future, that would be for the monarch to decide, possibly alongside the people overall, to focus on the long-run. That's just my idea, though.

Kalietha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:38 am Reply with quote        
The main problem of a republic or democracy is that it requires an intelligent and educated populace that knows how to think. As soon as the education suffers, or the average citizen gets more lazy and stops thinking and craving learning, it starts to fall apart.

It is commonly said that the best government is a benevolent dictatorship - but the obvious problem there is in ensuring the true benevolence, particularly given the tendency of power to corrupt.

Unfortunately, I don't think we as a race have solved either problem yet, and we may never. The only real solutions to the latter involve magic (such as the Valdemar set-up), which obviously we do not have as a tool.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote        
Heh. I was setting up an arguement for why a Dictatorship or Monarchy was the best form of government over Democracy. I didn't expect anyone to actually agree with me.

I suspect that any governmental system works when you are dealing with a small population. The problem with all the systems when the population gets large is the same. People. I like to think that people are generally good but the larger the crowd you have, the more likely they are to follow the lowest common denominator. That means that the larger the population, the more likely you are to have greed, corruption, and illegal activities.

So if I were to make a personal country, I would want to have some sort of natural and peaceful population control. I'm not sure what kind but definately not like the Chinese style of limiting families to ony one child.
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote        
Quote:
I'd like for a general monarchy with one distinct ruler, but that the ruler can be easily overthrown if the public deem them unworthy.

That's actually the situation with Britain's (admittedly now powerless) monarchy. If the puplic deems the monarch unfit for office, the public can drive the monarch out of power if needed. While that's not really necessary now (all real power belongs to Parliament), it is a right as a British citizen.

The reason monarchies aren't usually a good idea is because power passes from parent to son. It's all well and good if the parent is an excellent ruler, but the kid may well be completely nuts and unfit to rule. This is, of course, a bad thing.

To be honest, there's no way a 'perfect' governmental system can ever be obtained right now. In my view, communism is best in theory (but terrible in practice) as everyone gets an equal amount of what they need and everyone is completely equal, while democracy is the best in practice since we can kick the sod out after four years if it turns out that they're terrible.

If I had a country of my own, I'd probably end up with the power going to my head and being a tyrannical dictator. And then I'd try and eliminate every human there was for the good of the planet. I'm not a nice person.