Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Storybook
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote        
Juneberry wrote:
Thanks for posting it, Strix. I admit it's a neat and interesting story. But...You didn't note if it was an entry for the monthly contest by using the form- I use that just to be safe, so I can note entries from other posts. Should I include it in the contest for this month? Just to make sure.

Naa, It's too long to be included. I just wrote it because it was fun to write it. Enjoy the New Year Cool
Saygen40

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote        
I have one I wrote that is too long as well. Going to try to post something else. XD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote        
I've Used The Theme!
Username: Saygen40
Story:
Ralph Molinizi. The mafia man of wealth and connections I saw murder Elizabeth Geffner – a rising political figure – ten years ago. The same man that saw me - perched atop a dilapidated back alley stairwell in black flats and scarlet velvet dress in anticipation for a visit with Santa later that evening. The last visit before I testified, my name was changed, and I went into witness protection for fear of retaliation. Now twenty-four and sitting in a café with fellow coffee enthusiasts, my former life is but a memory lingering on the thin thread of a Christmas Eve tradition.

I fold into the back of my wooden table chair, the same I sit in every time I visit the café; which is only once a year. Comfortable, spacious couches remain unclaimed, but it is in the cluster of packaged tables that I get to see him again.

The chiming of the café door alerts his arrival, and as usual, Marcus comes to claim the seat behind mine – facing in the opposite direction. It is like this we interact, candid and strangers to onlookers, facing opposite windows with prewritten notes hidden within our sleeves. He sits, we exchange letters with careful delicacy, and then we read.

Dear Heather,
One day, I will still marry you.
Marcus

Ordering another set of drinks, we revel in each other’s words, waiting patiently for the day when we can finally turn around.

[Haha! Just barely put that together! XD]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote        
That's awesome, Saygen!
Juneberry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote        
Well, we now have to go to a new theme, but first I will announce the winners. :3

We had three people officially entered (Yay!) and all three get a varying prize.

First Prize: KathiraNarae
Your story included such an interesting mix of fact and comedy, and also had a neat way of wording things.

Second Prize: Saygen
An interesting story indeed. I liked the general storyline and the writing style. My main complaint is...I'm super confused about where this Marcus guy comes from, and it just seems like it's hiding some things that are important to know. Otherwise, well done Happy

Third Prize: Whitewitch
A great general story, and I like that it's short and sweet. However, it seems a bit over-simplified. It doesn't really explain what the tradition is, just a long line. But that's just how I personally saw it. But I do like your word choice and imagery! Very lovely!

Juneberry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote        
Hopefully this double post is okay but...

The new theme for January is: Starting Over! Please note the deadline is the 30th of the month. Exceptions are possible, but I'd like to try to keep to the deadline to make it easier to keep a quasi-schedule

Writers, start your pens/fingers Happy[/b]

KaceyCat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote        
I've Used The Theme!
Username: KaceyCat
Story: ((Um, it's kind of 611 words...Sorry it's so long.))

December 31st. The last day of the year. And what a year it had been for the now-17-year-old. The first few months flew by, just like usual. But then August hit. She fell deathly ill, and no doctor could figure out what was wrong. Finally, through process of elimination, she was diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disorder. Basically, he body had gone into self-destruct, her white blood cells trying to kill her organs and through them, her.

The only way to fix this was chemotherapy and strong steroids, which started in September. A few months went by of chemo every week, steroids every day. Finally, in November, she was weaned off the steroid and chemo ended close to Thanksgiving. But still, she felt like absolute crap. The doctors had said things would be that way for a few months. She hated all the side effects from the treatment. She bloated up from water retention, more than regaining the weight she had worked so hard to lose that year. Nearly all of her hair had fallen out, even though the doctors said it would only thin a bit. The steroid had deteriorated her muscles so much it hurt to move, let alone stand. She was exhausted, nauseous, cold, and so on. Everyone kept saying she was so brave, that she had done so well dealing with so much more than nearly anyone else. But she didn't feel brave. She felt scared. What all those people didn't know was how many times she'd cried in her room, face buried in one of her rather confused cats' fur. How many times she'd wanted to scream in frustration about how this wasn't fair, it was all too much, how was she supposed to keep up with schoolwork if she could barely stay awake, why did it have to happen to her? Why now?

Even without the treatment active, December didn't go too well. For a while now, she'd been debating just shaving her head. When her hair grew back, she didn't want it to look weird with a few long pieces and a lot of stubble. But doing so would be like giving up. It would make all those weeks of watching her hair fall out bit by bit worthless, all those awful showers and hair-brushings for nothing.

Finally, she decided to do it. Her mother called the place they usually went to get their hair cut to see if there was time, and 10 minutes later, the girl and her mother stood in the doorway. The girl, who was usually so stoic and emotionless in public, let out a sob and a sniffle, burying her face in her mom's shoulder. With shaking hands, she took off her hat and glasses, and pulled the scrunchie out of her tangled hair. Biting her lip, she sat down in the chair and closed her eyes. The stylist carefully snipped off the ponytail and wrapped it in foil for her to keep as a reminder of all she had done. Then came the electric razor. A few minutes later, they were on their way home, her newly-shaved head covered with a hat to keep warm.

Shaving hadn't gotten rid of all the hair, so she had a bit of peach-fuzz still. With one last glance at herself in the mirror, she pulled her hat back on. Oh well. A fresh start for a new year. And hopefully this year would be better. She was going to get her med-port out soon, find out if her dream college accepted her, go with her band to march in the Disney parade during March, graduate high school, and so much more.

((True story. My head's cold now. I went from having Merida/Hermione hair to having no hair.))

Juneberry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:52 pm Reply with quote        
The word max is sort of loose. I may just take it out for now. The point of it is just to keep people from giving me a novel to read at the end of the month and not have enough time to choose a winner xD

Strix Varia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote        
I've Used The Theme of "Starting Over"
Username: Strix Varia
Story: She who would slay dragons

All her training, all her quests, all her experiences had led her to this point. Below her, the dragon slept but she knew that the slightest sound would wake it. She had only one chance. She had to strike fast and hard. She had to use every advantage she had worked so hard to gain. She had nearly died a dozen times while winning the sword of infinity free from the ancient catacombs. The master crafted armour she wore cost her all the coin she had and several promises that she didn't. She has surpassed all her trainers and instructors in both combat and magic. All that she was and all that she could be hinged on the next few seconds. It all hinged on her ability to kill the dragon before it could react.

Slowly and quietly she pulled the sword of infinity from it's scabbard and laid it on the ground. She whispered the few mystic words that would open a link between herself and the weapon. The sword drank deeply of her personal energy until it glowed with white intensity that could slice through any armor, even dragon hide. This was the moment for attack! Waiting beyond this point would be needless and foolish hesitation. She leapt at the dragon and punched it on the nose with her fist.

The dragon awoke instantly. It reared up high and bathed the entire room in all consuming flame. All went blank. All went quiet. The dragon calmly lay back down and fell back to sleep. The ash of 'She who would slay dragons' still hung in the air. In the back of the room, a faint giggling could be heard. it quickly turned into full laughter. "She PUNCHED it???"

Jenny stared numbly at the screen. She had forgotten to re-equip the sword before attacking. The game didn't have a save option. Four solid weeks of game play lost because of one stupid mistake. Her little brother stumbled out of the room laughing like a hyena. she didn't even have the emotional strength left to get angry at her brother. Her mind was blank. It was simple muscle memory that guided her next actions. {CLICK} {CLICK} {BEGIN NEW GAME} {CLICK}
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:15 am Reply with quote        
*dies laughing*

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!
Which I'm good at spotting, apparently...
Juneberry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote        
Strix...I'm dying of laughter here xD
Also thank you for pointing out a nifty idea for the form to make it more clear what theme each story is for o.o;
...I'll remember later.
But YAY people are joining Happy

Saygen40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote        
@Kacey: I love your's. It was really unique and beautiful, even in its despair. Thank you for sharing your story with us and I hope this year treats you better. Smile

@ Strix: "Oh god no! She didn't equip the sword!" XD

My entry will probably come 15 minutes before the deadline - just like last time. lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote        
Hopefully you at least remember when the deadline is this time?
But guys, give me your input on the deadline and stuff too.
Because I just realized again that next month is short and there's no 30th of February. I should come up with a different time frame >w<

Saygen40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote        
Perhaps. Lol I did just write something out, though! Been on a bit of a 'love' kick recently.

For next month we can just make the deadline the 28th. Writers will just have to get something finished earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah, and I'll have to read it all ASAP afterwards.
But I hope you enter~ And I'm glad you're writing a bunch Happy