Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / OoC Forum
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Maeve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:18 pm Reply with quote        
This is the OOC thread for the Arena Role-Play. The main use of this thread is to house all the information that would otherwise clutter the role-play thread, such as character's profile, descriptions of places and other things, and discussions about what is happening and should happen next.

I'll try to keep a little index of the interesting (mostly informative)) posts below:

Saygen40

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:34 am Reply with quote        
I'd be interested! Any of those plots leave it open for imagination. Happy
Juneberry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:38 pm Reply with quote        
I would've never guessed English was your second language, first of all, Maeve. You work with it so well! Secondly, I think both are pretty neat... It could even be plausible to mix the two plots together, but they're also lovely separately. Very well thought out, at least for starters :3

Siyue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote        
I love the arena idea! I'd definitely be up for trying that! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote        
I could do an arena one as well. Always looking for more rps. Good to see you back Maeve.

Maeve

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote        
Yay for new(er) people wanting to role-play, and it's always nice to see you Mal! Happy

Alright, I sorta had a fav for the arena too, so maybe we can concentrate on this one for now. I'm a bit busy right now since I have an exam tomorrow evening and I should probably be studying for it, but if you guys want to post ideas (settings, possible competition, characters allowed, etc.), feel free to start discussing things. I know the summer event starts today, which usually brings a bunch of people back and/or makes them more active, so if we could start, let's say, by the end of the week or next weekend, we could probably grab some more people's attention too.

@ Juneberry: Eh, thanks! Happy My everyday English is fine I guess (like, I could survive without real problems if I was dropped in a place where people only speak English). I think it shows more, or at least it's harder for me, when we get to more literate writing, since a lot of expressions and specific/uncommon vocabulary don't come as easily as they would in French.

Siyue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote        
Hey! I know you're busy doing the event and other stuff, but I'm really looking forward to getting more people to do the arena RP. It seems like it could be a really fun thing to do!

I think it would be awesome to have rounds and possibly whoever the winner is gets to choose the next type of competition?

My brain is totally going on overdrive for this... xD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:29 am Reply with quote        
Nah, it's alright. The event actually isn't that demanding for me (Cat and Chu do most of the work, Weeeee for them). I just had the stupid idea to take an online class this summer and it happened to end yesterday, with a nice paper to hand in that took me most of the week to do. Duh

But yeah, I'm free now, so time to plan some role-play!

I'M gonna change the title of the thread to Arena Role-Play OOC for now. Maybe it will get the attention of some other people.

I like the idea of having rounds. And it seems more logical for a competition, unless it was a one-game sorta thing. I dunno if they should be elimination round though, or like, if they influence some sort of ranking system and after a certain number of round, whoever's at the top win?

Leaving the choice of the next round's competition to the winner may be a pretty big advantage, so I dunno about that. Maybe there could be different "rewards" for winning a round, like that choose next challenge option (maybe for winning tougher challenges), or, like, getting a bonus of some sort (starting before the others, or being warned of what's coming next so you can prepare, or being given some sort of objects to help you (or to cause trouble to someone else?)?

Hm, I'll need to thinking about this a bit more. Oh Mai

Siyue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:06 pm Reply with quote        
Nice xD And yeah I know how that is, summer classes can be awful x_x

I hope more people get interested!

I love ranking systems! And hmm, yes I like the idea of rewards. Rewards are always good lol

It almost feels like a hunger games type system, where people can help you (though hopefully we won't need to kiss anyone for that to happen xD)

I'll be thinking of ideas and let you know what I come up with!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:38 am Reply with quote        
Hey, sorry I've been so absent. The event is sucking up.most.of my time, but I had an idea. After what...I think it was Siyue? (I'm on my phone so scrolling down to check is a pain) After what someone said about advantages, I thought maybe instead of a Hunger Games type thing, maybr a Quillan Games would be interesting.

For those who didn't read the Pendragon series, the Quillan Games were a set of challenges, created for tye public's entertainment that pitted Challengers against each other in wacky games or obstacle courses. It was like Japanese game shows, that the public bet on, but the games could be deadly. the opponents changed all the time, and when not 'performing,' the challengers wohld hang out in a swanky mansion...that they were locked into. When in a series of games, and pitted against another challenger, thr dude who won the previous game would have an advantage.

There's.a.little more to it, but my thumbs are infinitely slower than my keyboard, and it's been a while since I read the book.

Siyue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:08 pm Reply with quote        
What book was that in, Malverne? I love that series but can never get far because the library never has the next book I need lol It sounds really interesting though!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote        
I don't remember the number...maybe 5? But the territory was Quillain. I certainly liked it.

Maeve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote        
So, let's see what we have so far:

• Characters are thrown in a competition because of [reason].
  • The competition consists of many rounds (each different from the previous?), and as many rounds as necessary to find a winner (I'm thinking their should be a fix number though, otherwise it could go on forever).
  • Challenges can be physical (simple obstacle race and the like), or more complicated (timed challenge, skill challenge, etc.). Ideas are welcomed. Wink
  • Participants who finish a challenge get points (points decrease with ranking).
  • Participants who don't finish a challenge either get a penalty or are eliminated.
  • Participants can also be eliminated during a challenge (like, die, or be injured too badly to keep going), or at the end of it (if only a certain number of people can participate in the next challenge, those with not enough points will be cut).
  • The character who wins a round gets an advantage.
  • Advantages can be: a useful item or tip, a time bonus, or something more important like giving a penalty to another participant of your choice, or choosing the next round's challenge.
  • When they are not competing, the characters get to hang out in [some resting spot]. There, they get to know each other and all that.
  • They can't use that resting time to "get rid" of other people, but they can make alliances and the like if the want.
  • At the end of the competition, the winner gets [a prize].
  • The competition can come back after a certain time (like, once a year or something, maybe more often if it doesn't last very long).

I think it covers pretty much everything said so far? Just tell me if I forgot something.
I guess what we need to figure out now is where/when/why this thing takes place. Like, is it just a modern-day competition thingie that's just there to entertain people (think Japanese game shows or X games), or is it something else (like, something more fantasy-like or futuristic where the competition might have some deeper meaning). I kinda like the fantasy road, although it doesn't have to be an extreme thing. I guess I'd mostly like to have some room for different characters and all that, which seems harder in a modern day, mostly realistic, role-play. But yeah, I'm open to ideas. Wink

Maeve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote        
So, I'd like to get this moving before I restart school, which is coming way to fast... Duh

I'm gonna try to finish the basic setup by tomorrow, and then people will be able to join for some time and we'll start playing. So, if you have ideas and want to leave them here, just post them. I'll probably be around most of the day anyway. Otherwise I'll just make some things up as I go and try to keep them somewhat coherent. Wink

One quick question though: should people be allowed to join once the role-play has started? I'm thinking of allowing them to join during, let's say, the first round, but it'd seem weird to keep adding new characters once we start ranking/eliminating people. Neutral

Maeve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:26 am Reply with quote        
Important Locations

The Island
The Island is the special place where the Competition takes place. Rumors say it was built specially to house the Competition, though most people believe it just means the Administration found a desert island and built their facilities on it. The Island has a temperate climate with four seasons, and about half of it is covered by a dense mixed forest. The beaches around are covered mostly by pebbles and boulders, although a few places near the Town have been arranged with soft withe sand and a few palm trees to be more attractive to tourists. The Island landscape is nearly flat for the most part, but two hills (one on each side) shape the landscape. The Stadium was built on the highest of the hills, and the Town grew around it. The second hill is in the middle of the forest, and has been used by locals during certain ceremonies and events. The Island is almost inhabited in normal time, with only a few people staying around to keep an eye on everything, but once the Competition arrives, tons of people join the population. Most of them resides in the Town.

The Town
The Town was built around the Stadium and it regroups most of the population of the Island, along with their houses and all the usual businesses. The architecture is simple, consisting mainly of stone buildings, white-washed or covered white paint, with dark wood porches and doors. The streets are made of flat stones, and most businesses have exterior stands, or an open front to attract people. The Town is pretty quiet most of the time, but the activity level jumps every time the Competition comes around.

The Stadium
The Stadium is the main playground of the Competition. Built with the same material has the rest of the town, it is massive enough to seat 100,000 people, although some sections can also be closed for a more private gathering. The building is circular in shape, with a large empty-ish space in the middle. Inside the Stadium, rooms are reserved for the Competitors, so they can stick around while they are waiting for things to start, but the majority of the complex is used to keep everything needed for the Competition, as well as all the equipment needed to make the Stadium and broadcast work.

The Castle
When they are not competing, the participants of the Competition stay at the Castle. The large building is located on the south side of the main hill, not too far away from the Stadium. Massive walls surround a green yard covered with grass, trees and flowers. In the middle of the yard, the main building is simple in shape, three stories high, with large windows. Inside the building, the first floor is kept mostly to for all the utility rooms, kitchen and the like. The participants each get a room on the second or third floor. The rooms are simple but comfortable, with a large bed and all the commodities. The rest of the building consists of common rooms, as well as some galleries dedicated to the Competition glorious history.