Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Writing Chat
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Juneberry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:37 pm Reply with quote        
Naming things is always pretty hard for some writers. Figuring out just the write name for a character can be quite stressful, as for some reason, character names hold quite an impact on the story! But it's really hard to get that perfect name, right? Do you have any ways you tend to go about figuring out the right name for your character?

Feel free to also note what names you've found you really like or even just name backgrounds...Or something as simple as a letter you seem to start with a lot! Just the process and the details of character names can be quite interesting.

For me, I tend to use either a baby naming book or a site like behind-the-name to choose names. I usually have at least a meaning in mind that I want the name to have, or I have a letter I want it to start with. I think of a very general sound I want it to have (like French vs. Japanese, etc)...and I keep looking and toiling over it. Sometimes it turns out totally different during my search, other times it is along that path.

Oddly, a lot of my characters have K-names. Basically, K, L and M are pretty common in my character naming repertoire. I do use other letters as well, but those ones seem to be the ones that are quite frequent, I realized. I also tend towards Japanese names, French, and English for some reason...Though sometimes I go other ways too.

What about you guys? And sorry for the giant post
killerkitty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote        
I always like to go for simpler names for my main characters - something that rings well and is easy to remember. But finding the right name is always a huge pain for me, I never know what name to pick, and once I give a character a name, it takes me a while to get used to it. I try to attribute the characteristics of the character onto their name, so if a character is, say, friendly or childish, I'll make their name a soft-sounding (as in, using letters like N, M, P, L, etc.). If they are an unpleasant character, I'll give them an unpleasant name. The name of your character somewhat affects how the reader perceives that character.

Depending on where the character is from (whether a real or imagined place), obviously the form of their name will change. Different languages prefer different sounds. When inventing your own culture, you have to decide things like, does that name have a meaning? Does it have a history of famous people with that name? There are all sorts of things to consider when name-choosing.

I don't know if I really have a preference for any particular letter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote        
Sometimes names will come to me as I type, but usually not. If the setting would allow for real names I'll look up names on the internet based on meaning and ethnicity. In one case I looked up the history of Italian royalty to get names for my princes in a fairytale retelling. When it's a pure fantasy setting I'll often use the "hit the keyboard" method where I just mash keys until I see something I like.

If something comes up where I need to rename a character for some reason it becomes ridiculously hard to get a new one. They just don't like to stick at that point.

Sometimes if I'm having an especially hard time with the name I'll just put in something like ***MC*** and then do find and replace when I get a better name.
Whimsy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote        
Names are a tricky thing. I tend to use behindthename and other baby naking sites too, as well as lists of common names in specific countries. Generally I have an idea of what kind of name or what it sounds like (softer, feminine, sharp, long, etc), it's a matter of scrolling past enough names until I find one that clicks. I associate personality with names too, the background of the character, their parents, and ethnicity.

Sometimes I use placeholder names as well. Luke for example I use quite often for a placeholder name. The problem is placeholder names usually end up sticking, and my characters utterly refuse to rename themselves afterwards. :U

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:30 pm Reply with quote        
I've done placeholder names before, but sometimes it can be tricky to work with...especially if you do what I do and suddenly decide you want to change the point of view all together. Then it becomes a real chore, and quite honestly, I hate myself when I end up doing that for putting so much extra work on my shoulders (I'm naturally lazy).

I find it neat that you guys look at the general sound...For some reason, I never think to take that into account. I wonder if it's odd I don't think about it? I seem to find the first syllable is the most critical to me overall. That, and the meaning.

But the mash the keyboard method sounds like it could be quite useful. I do that sometimes too, but mostly for places. Or I mix languages up. I do that a lot, where I'll find two words in other languages with meanings behind them, and then mix up the words a bit to fit my preference and use that. It works oddly well, both for names at times and for places...
Revolushion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:53 pm Reply with quote        
Honestly, I've never had a problem with character names. They just come to me, usually within the first few pages of writing something. I just use descriptions until the name finds me, and I rarely have issues naming someone.

I think a lot of writers and rp-ers get caught up on the meaning of the name and how it reflects what kind of person the character is... when in real life, your parents choose a name they like and you just role with it. You don't need to have a female warrior type named Kelsi just because it means "female warrior." In fact, sometimes it's fun to have names that don't suit the character in any way.

When I'm really stuck, and it does happen, I tend to just ask around, sound out some random letters and just create my own name.
Juneberry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote        
You have a point there, but even then, the name is based on something. It's based on parent's preference, and what they want it to sound like...These types of things are very strong influences. And in some cultures, there is a more deep basis. In many Jewish family, there's a tradition to use the first letter of a relative (though usually deceased, not always) to honor them, and us that letter as the first of the child's name. My first name, Ashley, was chosen to honor my great grandfather, Abraham. My middle name was chosen for one of my distant cousins (because Sarah, my great-grandmother's name, would make my initials awkward).

And I know people who take great care in choosing a name for their child. We used to have a game each day when my teacher was pregnant where we'd give her a boy and girl's name for a specific letter each day, and she'd choose her favorites of the ones we gave as examples to help her choose.

But I do like your point. A character whose name doesn't suit them can be quite interesting! Happy
Revolushion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote        
First, thank you very much for informing me of that! I definitely learned something new about Jewish culture, which is always exciting! That's a very interesting concept, I must say, and I will be sure to jot that down somewhere... knowledge is power after all, and I've always wanted to develop a Jewish character in one of my stories, and this will be sure to help! ♥

And I see your point. A character's name is highly important, I do agree. I guess I've just never gotten too hung-up on it.

And yes, it's super fun to give characters awkward, ill-fitting names. It becomes sort of like a running-gag in the story and is so much fun to work with. *nods*

Also, that's pretty cool what your teacher did. :3 Sounds like a neat way to get some names!
Juneberry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote        
Yep! In the end, the baby was named Liam, and we all got to meet it when she came back from maternity leave.

Well, I'm not sure if all Jewish families do that. I just know mine did, and told me it was normal for Jewish families...So I can only go based no that. I can also tell you that in Jewish culture, many surnames are based on your 'rank' or 'class', which itself is based on ancestry. For example, I'm sure you've seen the ultra common surname of Cohen somewhere, right? In Hebrew, the word Kohen (which is always transliterated to Cohen as a name for some reason) means "priest". In Judiasm, it's said that the Kohanim are descendants of Aaron, specifically. They're like the top of the hierarchy if you look at it in that sense. The second level is Levites, the descendants of Jacob, and everyone else pretty much fits the Israelite. My last name actually means "second rank Levite". These were all tribes in tradition, and names tended to reflect this, just like it sometimes reflected family trades. You know Levi jeans? Well, the person who it's named after was probably of the Levi tribe descendants like me xD

In history, naming has a very unique role in general. The way the people choose to name their children is a very unique thing and can also help make the story feel more authentic if you pay heed to it. Not that I do. But it's interesting, right? I want to learn more about other places...
Revolushion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote        
Awww, that's sweet. <3

Huh, yet more I did not know. I think I need to study up on this. xD That's really interesting! And oh wow, I used to sell Levi Jeans... that's so cool to think about. xD

And I agree, it adds a certain depth to the story... I would really love to do some research on what names mean in all the different parts of the world, how they`re chosen and whatnot. It`s an intriguing topic!

Rev's Quest Thread! Come chat with me?

PM me 5 Random Words. Do it.
(Here's why.)

Currently questing:
Deity Axe; Deity Spear; Elegant Summer Lotus Set
Juneberry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote        
I love name meanings. I'm constantly looking at them. Seriously, CONSTANTLY. I do that when I look up names for specific letters for A-Z name games. Names are always interesting. The way they're chosen, the way they sound, and what they do for a person.

Randomly interesting fact, my first name (Ashley) means 'from the ash tree'...And my mother's, Lori, means 'from the laurel tree'. It wasn't meant to happen on purpose, but it's interesting that way, y'know? Oh, and my dad's name means masculine. It doesn't fit him much at all. It's funny.
Revolushion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote        
Awww, that's wicked cool! Happy My name doesn't fit me at all... I mean, I've been called it my whole life, so I couldn't change it, and I sorta like it, but... It's the male version... so my name, "Kelsey," means "Island." And EVERYONE here is named Kelsey. Seriously, In my grade nine art class of maybe a max of 20 people there were 9 of us named Kelsey. So it's not unique or meaningful at ALL. </3

My mom's name is the same way, but she hates her name... mind you, it's a bit different since she was adopted. Her birth name was Shona, and she didn't find that out until a year or two ago, and she just loves the sound of it. So I dunno.

(Here's why.)

Currently questing:
Juneberry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:17 am Reply with quote        
My name is fairly common near me too. I had at least one or two other Ashley's each year. That's another interesting thing about names. They peak in popularity. Actually, my parents were trying not to choose a common name...But in the end, it turned out everyone else had started doing that too. These types of things can be quite interesting for character development.

And my name can be masculine or feminine too, but it generally means the same thing either way. Though for me, it's a feminine name. But names also lead to how people are treated sometimes. Some names are easily made fun of by peers. For me, I got teased a lot because of both my first and last name...But my last name was a joke even my family did on itself, so that didn't bother me.

Since Ashley can be shortened easily to "Ash", it's easily made fun of. Ash the Pokemon Master is common nowadays online, but when I was in middle school this guy who always bullied me used to call me Ash Tray. Which was sort of annoying, since my mom left to go to rehab supposedly for her smoking ^^; It really affected my viewpoint of my name for a while, both of these things.

Because of all this, I am who I am today (though of course that's not the only reason I am who I am, but it actually played a role in it). Teasing because of names can lead to a person not liking their name and actually wanting to change it, and also can lead to depression. I still keep thinking about changing my own name today. I have characters who would love me to change their names too, though.
Revolushion

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote        
That is a very good point. I can see how being teased like that would play a role in who you are, that's not something people deal well with... for me, I always felt invisible. No one knew me in high school and whenever my name was said it was never to call to me, so I went through a depression as well. (Seriously though, I got 5 calls that I was absent in one class when I was ALWAYS there because my teacher didn't know who I was. =_=;Wink So yes, names are definitely super important and contribute to a lot of aspects of a character. Not going to deny that. <3

My fiance has a character named after a number, and it just grates on this character constantly. I mean "Who has a number for a name?" gets really hurtful really quick. And it definitely influenced what his character turned out to be.

I think I just don't plan for that, personally. I let the name influence a character but I don't pick it out specifically to influence it a certain way unless there's a solid reason why a character needs a certain name.

(Here's why.)

Currently questing:
Juneberry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote        
Hehe, I get that. I don't do excessive planning, but it needs to feel right for me to use a name for a character. Sometimes I do just wing it and add random syllables together. That's how I got a few of my characters, actually...Because I had a nickname for them until I came up with a name, so that I'd understand who I was talking about, and randomly made a name that fit it.

I've heard fairly strange names, so trust me, a number isn't that hard to believe to me. And it's actually fairly common in some stories. I've seen Zero used a lot in anime. And San, which is often used randomly as a name and is also just an honorific, also can mean 'three'.

I once had a baby naming book and one of the names in there was Celery. I felt horrible for whoever named that kid.