Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Writing Chat
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:43 am Reply with quote        
Do you usually take on long writing projects or short ones? How are you about following through on those long-lasting ones?

I usually do short projects, although they're frequently unfinished. I just want to throw an idea out there while it's still in my head. After I write it down, I rarely go back to it.

Whimsy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote        
I'm the same, Chu. I do better with short term projects than long term ones, even though I rarely complete any of my projects, I make more progress with smaller projects. For my long term projects I spend too much time planning them out, and not enough time actually writing them. I burn out really quickly after the planning stage and have nothing to show for all my work. :U

I tend to start things too, jotting ideas down, and never coming back to them too. As of right now I have about four novel length ideas with a start(ish) for all of them, but I've made no progress on them over the years. Neutral

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote        
Yeeeeep. The funny thing is I don't burn out quickly... I just spend SO much time planning that I still don't make it out of the planning period. xD And I put a lot of thought in symbols and themes on top of the story and character development... These are the reasons that I stopped writing, haha.

Sly
Coordinator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:33 am Reply with quote        
I usually undertake longer projects, myself. I'm not so great with the following through or finishing of said projects, though. Sweat I think this is mostly because I spend a lot of time planning and working things out, that and I'm a perfectionist about writing. I d(o spend a lot of time on developing characters though, and if I like the character(s) in a story I'm writing, I'll be more likely to work on the story for longer periods of time.
Sharm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote        
All my ideas need a long format to explore properly. If I do end up with a short idea, it's usually a depressing one and I don't like to write depressing stories.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote        
Huh, my short stories tend to be happier than my long ones. Long projects usually end with a message of "life sucks and there's nothing you can do about it" whereas the short ones sound more like "life sucks and there's nothing you can do about it - but at least you can try."

Neutral It's not much better though.

Maybe the long stories are sadder because I struggle through them for so long, I feel like the characters don't deserve to be happy. xP

Sharm

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote        
I use reading and writing as a escape or vacation from my life so it's important for me to have it be happy and fun. It doesn't work as a catharsis for me. Sounds like it is for you though.
Revolushion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote        
I have so many long-winded ideas, but none of them have been finished... I can't stick on any one idea for long enough before another one pops into my head. Out of the hundreds, perhaps even getting into the 1,000's of pieces I have written, I probably only have about... I would estimate 20-30 pieces completed. Max. I hate it, honestly. I really want to finish something one of these days.

Rev's Quest Thread! Come chat with me?

PM me 5 Random Words. Do it.
(Here's why.)

Currently questing:
Deity Axe; Deity Spear; Elegant Summer Lotus Set
Juneberry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:43 pm Reply with quote        
I usually take on a mix. I prefer long-lasting projects on the one hand, but for some reason, it's hard for me to finish them. I get part-way through, and reread what I have to make sure I'm not making any mistakes or altering things that already happened...And I hate what I read, delete what I have and start from scratch. So it NEVER finishes. Well, almost never. I've written something mildly long in the past. It was a long time ago, though, and looking back on it I hate it. But it also depends on the type of writing. I do better with script-writing sometimes with long projects than prose.

With short projects, I do still have issues sometimes, but not as many. In my case, I just don't like projects with a length cap or anything like that, because I always get fussy about how it's written and don't want to confine it to much. But if I don't think that way, then I can handle short stories sometimes comparatively. Depending on what it's about, and what the characters are like.
Asterus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote        
Due to me being, well, me, I can really only do short projects. I tried writing related poems for three days and ended up having to scrap that after day 2. My mind simply doesn't focus on one thing that long XD
Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:46 pm Reply with quote        
I always start long projects, but they rarely, if ever, get finished. I just feel like I need the space to properly show my characters, and the things that I expected to happen rarely do...

I dunno, I feel like I can explore more with longer projects. Although right now my main focus is long (32k words and still going strong) but it's made up of a bunch of shorter vingettes (totally spelled that wrong but whatevs) that are just little glimpses into the whole picture, and I like to think it's making sense. I'm certainly enjoying writing in the different style.

stazzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:25 pm Reply with quote        
My short stories always turn out better than the long ones, probably because none of my long stories ever get finished... Sweat
But it's definitely fun to write a few chapters, I especially liked naming the chapters! It kind of felt like a series of short stories with the same characters, because I switch PoV per chapter.
I tend to write quick, intense stories that last about 4 pages, but I've been trying to work on a novel... Oh Mai
superbinka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:09 am Reply with quote        
I'm an optimist when it comes to long projects. I've been working on The Novel for about three years now but what it's about keeps changing and I haven't got anywhere with it. One day it will be published...