Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote        
I try to avoid saying "ironic" too. xD

People actually say irregardless? I though it was just one of those words made up as a joke. Q_Q

Weaseldale

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah, I hear irregardless too... forgotten about that one.

Also bothers me when people use the word decimate incorrectly xD

Uni has swallowed me whole, in more ways than one, sorry guys. Feel free to PM any questions (or nonquestions {or anything else, no limits here}) you have, although I don't know when I'll get to them since I'm barely on atm.
Zillah

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:17 pm Reply with quote        
@Chu: It's hard to tell whether something is actually the opposite of what I'd expect or if it's just something unexpected. The difference is pretty minimal, ha. I've been called out on using "ironic" incorrectly when I thought my usage was fine enough times that I've just quit trying.

I've heard it from more than person. One of my professors said it once and I almost died. It sounds like a word though, if you don't know any better! Irrelevant, irregular, irrational... irregardless!

@Weaseldale: Hmmm, "decimate" is not a word I hear often. I just thought it was like "destroy" or "exterminate". How do people use it that is incorrect?
Unicorn Dancer

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:49 pm Reply with quote        
I have this one friend, he is just as smart as any regular joe, but he insists on saying 'for', instead of 'so'. It drives me up a wall, like, he'll say, 'I gotta go home, for i could eat some food, for when we smoke, I won't be hungry.' Now I understand stoners are expected to have some stupid moments, but he has said this the entire time I have known him... so.... 8 years.

Other than that I hate circular logic, and redundant speech.... and you get a lot of that with stoners... so maybe I just need new friends? Roll Eyes

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote        
Irregardless is a double negative if you think about it and the way most people use it is wrong. They use it as a way to dismiss a topic, when in fact it would go along the lines of meaning "In regards to" or "With full regard". Since the ir- prefix generally states the opposite of the word to follow, the word being "regardless" - without regard.
Sly
Coordinator

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote        
Irregardless would be wrong the way most people use it, but it's always wrong since it's not even a word. Duh
Archers Lust

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote        
Twisted Evil Well, I'm gonna make it a word. I'm gonna get it into Webster's and then I'm gonna start a grammar school solely for the purpose of teaching people how to use it correctly.
I'm gonna become a millionaire and laugh at all of you who said I couldn't. Like that gym coach in the second grade who said I'd always be too small to ever amount to anything.
Well you can go suck it Coach Weiner! I'm 6' 1 now! Weeeee
[/useless rant] Big Grin
Zillah

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:30 am Reply with quote        
@Unicorn: That's just grammatically incorrect. xD I sometimes use "for to" and "for so" that way as a joke, like "I will go home for to make coffee" or "I will go to sleep early for so I can wake up on time". It is grammatically acceptable to use "for" where you would use "because", like "I have to start studying, for I have an exam on Thursday".

Archer, is that really your coach's name? Because saying "suck it, Coach Weiner" is really amusing to me for some reason. xD
Archers Lust

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah, he was from somewhere in Europe though and said his name was pronounced "VEI-neer". Roll Eyes
I only remember his name because that elementary school was called Albert Weiner (Whiner) Elementary School. Laugh
It ended up getting bought and closed down sometime after I moved away to make room for The Strip. Duh
Archers Lust

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote        
I wonder if anybody knew that "Nevermind" is not a word either.
I think it's actually supposed to stand for the old phrases of "Never you mind", "Never in your mind", and "Strike it from your mind" back when people still talked like that.
To people in today's time, it seems like an improper way to speak.
I think the American English Language is like 70% slang now.
killerkitty

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:54 pm Reply with quote        
@Archer: Isn't that how language evolves though, a few people start using a slang word or phrase, then it spreads until the majority of people in that place use it, and it becomes part of the accepted correct language. The slang becomes the more widely accepted version. Never mind should indeed go with a space.

Is alright even a word? And does its meaning differ from all right? Because according to my spell-checker it isn't, yet I've used it quite often.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:22 pm Reply with quote        
'Alright' is not a proper word but is used as slang for yes.
Just like 'Sure', 'Okay', 'Absolutely', and other words I'm having trouble thinking of.
'All right', from which 'Alright' is made, is actually short for 'All is right' or basically 'Everything is right in the world'.
killerkitty

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:36 pm Reply with quote        
Right, that's what I thought, thanks. :]

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote        
You're welcome Kitty.
I'm practically an encyclopedia of useless and forgotten information these days. Weeeee
killerkitty

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote        
Useless information is the best kind of information! Hai