Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
fickle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote        
because i really wanna stick a meat hook through these little babies faces before reaching 12 months old and eat their body parts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote        
..... Shocked at least give it a chance to grow....

I wanted to try these , I've had curried mutton but I've never had link
fickle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote        
yeah, it would be nice if animals were able to enjoy themselves. stuff like this makes me grieve, it's absolutely revolting to me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote        
Perils of being an omnivorous species, I'm afraid. We do eat meat. We need the protein, after all, and it was cooked protein that gave us the brains to say no to eating meat.

'Perils', huh...? Idea! Let's go eat Peril!

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!
Which I'm good at spotting, apparently...
fickle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote        
we can actually get protein from plant sources, the same sources that the animals people eat get their protein from. ive heard theories about us being omnivores, carnivores, herbivores, and frugivores, about how long our intestines are, our canines, , our ancestors, the claws we evolved to take down prey, oh wait... :P lol i'm kidding. i havent payed attention to the theories, but when it comes to food i know more, all plant foods have amino acids. some plants are higher than some, but all have amino acids. we may be omnivores, but we dont need to eat someone elses body parts to get amino acids.

lol! i wonder how much she would like that?

link

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote        
Meat is just an easy source of complete proteins (i.e that contain all amino acids humans need), while plants usually lack some. And I think some nutrients are also easier to absorb from meat. But yeah, as long as you keep a balance diet and don't eat just one type of plant, there's no real problem with not eating meat (unless you have medical problems and the like, obviously).

Hm, I'm not sure I should encourage cannibalism... Want a cookie instead of Peril?

KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote        
It is down to cooked meat that our brains are as developed as they are, though. That's undeniable. And I'm rather too attached to chicken to give it up. Literally, I'm a punk, and I crossed the road by being nailed to the chicken.

Nope, gotta eat Peril! No-one'll miss her, what's the big deal?

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!
Which I'm good at spotting, apparently...
fickle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:22 am Reply with quote        
maive, i personally dont want to be responsible for the suffering of another animal for the sake of convinence (acquiring complete proteins from one source). i average about 30-45 grams of protein every day just eating what i like, i dont have to make sure i eat specific things to get proteins, so it's really just as easy.
meat takes longer to digest so it takes longer to get the nutrients from it and into our cells compared to plant food which digests quick. and compared to carnivorous animals who are relieving themselves just an hour after eating, it stays in our colon for 1 day to two weeks.
idk if theres such thing as a one size fits all diet, some people need more fats, others need more protein, some people might need a diet to balance out their hormones, some athletes arent going to have the same diets (bodybuilders vs. triathletes) etc, but all this can be done without eating meat.
to be fair when it comes to easy, it did take me a bit of effort to let go of what i used to eat cos it's how i was raised, it's what i learned in school, and what all my friends and their families ate too. so it's trial and error, i'm getting better at it though.
hey, if peril eats a cookie, then i eat peril, will i also have cookie? xD

kath, probably, i wont argue why our brains say no to anything, but the fact is that we dont need to eat animals. our ancestors may have eaten raw meat, but with the knowledge that is available to us today, it's clear that we dont have to. ooh, and i know the feels! i really liked chicken. i simply just cant take away an animals life just cos i enjoy it though. like, i changed my diet for health reasons, but i'll never go back to eating animals cos i value their life, theres no excuse for allowing them to suffer unnecessarily.

i'll miss peril QQ it's funny you mention her cos she's actually vegan xD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote        
fickle wrote:
to be fair when it comes to easy, it did take me a bit of effort to let go of what i used to eat cos it's how i was raised, it's what i learned in school, and what all my friends and their families ate too. so it's trial and error, i'm getting better at it though.

See, that's mostly what I meant by "easy source of protein". I mean, some cultures pretty much only eat plants anyway, for a number of reasons (religious, ethical, difficulty to get meat in the first place), so the fact that people can survive only by eating plants is pretty clear. That, and eating (too much) meat is sorta pointed nowadays as a source of a lot of health problems, so cutting some/all of it can't be that bad from a health perspective. However, for people who were raised eating meat as a principal source of proteins (and keeping veggies and everything else as a side dish), it does take an effort to change their diet. And people often don't like to make efforts. Neutral

I mean, I don't like the thought of killing animals either, but I still eat meat. Way less than before, and I'd probably cut it even more if I had some more time to cook/prepare things, but I don't think I gave it up entirely anyway, because of tastes and memories and all that. I respect people who go the vegetarian/vegan way, but yeah, I'm not just ready for it right now.

I'm curious though, what are your thoughts on "ethically-raised" animals? Like, animals that are left in the field to eat whatever they want, don't get shot with hormones to grow faster, just get older/bigger naturally, and at some point they get kill and processed into meat.

I have enough cookies for everyone, so nobody needs to eat Peril... Jab

fickle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:28 pm Reply with quote        
trust me, i understand the challenges people face when changing their lifestyle, i was raised to eat meat and so was everyone else around me. i wrote that paragraph to express what aspects of not eating meat were challenging for me, when it comes to changing our habits and lifestyle it takes effort, but when it comes to making sure we get enough protein from plants, it's not hard.

fruits and veggies are fast food cos they can be eaten raw. hmm, i think the thing that takes most time for me is sushi rolls, about 45 minutes. idk what else. for most things i eat, i invest less time than i used to, for other things, mostly dinner dishes, i'm spending roughly same amount of time to prepare and cook, but overall definitely less time in the kitchen. i'm so lazy, i dont like spending time in the kitchen xD no problem, i dont mean to make anyone feel bad about their choices, i want people to think more about their karmic imprint on the world and the needless suffering they can cause. whenever, if ever youre interested in wanting to try other things, when you desire to change and want some guidance, i'm here for you woman! we can chat about it when ever you feel curious.

every living being is just trying to live, i dont see a point in causing animal suffering since we dont have to kill them in order to survive. ethically raised animals are still suffering, not only are they killed, but they live tormented lives before that. for us to have milk, the cows have to get pregnant. when the calf is born, its traumatically taken away from it's mother with tazers, some farmers beat the baby, knock them down, repeatedly kick them and stomp their heads. even if it is done in an ethical way, it's a traumatic experience to be torn apart for the mom and the calf. if the calf is male, it's sent to slaughter after two years, if it's female, they'll breed her and she'll experience that time and time again, and kill her when she's 5 years old. cage free and free range chickens are still living in concentration camps, it's crazy. the male chicks are thrown into grinders alive, still fluffy yellow chicks, and the females are kept until they start laying less eggs. in the US the standard for free range is to spend part of a day outdoors, the majority of their time is still spent crammed into tight spaces. eggs is a cruel free food to eat cos it's just chicken period, but the lives they live before they are killed is still wrong. just being killed is wrong to me. at one point in my life i thought it was ok cos that was the purpose for the animals, but now i believe it's not necessary. it took some time for me to shake that belief cos i witnessed animal slaughter when i was young, i was four and at my grandpas house. he had pigs, he tied one by it's ankles and hung it with hooks, it was screaming like crazy but i stayed calm cos everyone else around me was, no reason to panic right? then he slit its throat, it was alive, and then it was not. i also had an animal science class in high school where we raised feeder cattle, male calfs that were torn away from their moms, i didnt know it at the time though, also goats, sheep, rabbits, rarely chickens and turkey. so for a long time i thought it was alright, that was their purpose and it's what has to be done, but now the thought of it is revolting to me. it's sad. i have no right to decide what it's purpose is, it's purpose is living they dont want to die. people think asians are mean for killing and eating cats and dogs, and to me it's all the same. it's a double standard to think we love cats and dogs and to pay someone else money to kill a cow so we can eat it's body parts, and wear it's skin. sorry this is long, i hope it answers your question.

yes cookies! i can i have fifteen thousand cookies? plsplspls!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:45 am Reply with quote        
Ah, see, I really love cooking, so I'm in the right mood/have enough time, I can spend a bunch of time looking up recipes and trying stuff. Which doesn't happen much now because, bleh, life... Duh So if I was to go all vegetarian, I'd probably want to spend a bit more time on food, at least for a start, just to make sure it's fine and fun and all that.
And thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind, and probably look more into it next spring, when school isn't on my back that much.

The long answer is fine. I think some of the norms are probably a little different here, but yeah, it doesn't really change the end result.

I think you're exaggerating a bit with the cookies... Jab

fickle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote        
for sure, thats a good idea. it's one of the things i did in my process.

some other things that i didnt mention earlier is farm animals get surgical procedures done without anesthetics, and ive actually witnessed this myself on the farm i went to. goats were horned, and pigs were castrated, we had to hold them. they told us that while theyre babies they dont feel pain, but that was a bold face lie. theyre born with the nerves to feel pain. definitely treating these animals with respect is a step in the right direction, i hope one day they'll stop being killed in order to sustain human life.

i never exaggerate when it comes to cookies! Weeeee