Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote        
fickle wrote:
i've met someone online who criticized me, claimed i was a "hipster" cos of the music i listen to. idk what he meant by that, and honestly, i dont think he knew either. he assumed that i purposely liked less known things because i had something against popular things.

Todays hipsters are pretty much the same as the 1800's bohemians. They consider themselves to be free thinkers, artistically inclined or at least artistically appreciative. Culturally savvy with the modern world and unrestricted by archaic and outmoded beliefs of the past. Hipsters are traditionally very fluent on the most modern bands. They often pride themselves in being fans of little known bands and artistic styles before they became popular. They often loose interest in them when they DO become popular. My favorite hipster joke is "How did the hipster burn their tongue? Because they were drinking their coffee even before it became cool!"

I have another general complaint "Why the heck are reality TV shows so popular?" The more annoying and degrading they are, the more people seem to love them. Lets throw ten obscenely fat women into a pool of pudding and see who lasts ten whole weeks without having a heart attack! I'm not really suggesting that. I'm afraid someone would actually like the idea.
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:35 pm Reply with quote        
I've never been a fan of reality TV, except maybe the Great British Bake Off. Which is rather tame, and has more focus on the actual food. The closest I've ever really come to mainstream reality TV is the webcomic Survivor Fan Characters, which is Survivor but for fan characters of many different series/franchises, etc, etc. There's even a few canon characters on as well: I remember Knuckles (from Sonic The Hedgehog) once winning a challenge using the iconic speed of his series and his own strength to basically bulldoze the competition. Literally, he ran over them.

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!
Which I'm good at spotting, apparently...
fickle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:53 pm Reply with quote        
LOLgross. i dont even want to be able to watch television. we have a cable box but it's not set up. the last time i flipped through channels was in a hotel, on spike i saw a show called 1000 ways to die. i saw a guys head getting blown off cos some lady pressed a button on her fob. ugh.

im aware of the general consensus is for the word hipster Soft Smile i find it's poisoned by peoples biases and emotions. i wouldnt find any definitions like that in a marriam webster dictionary. that's why i see it as a perverted definition of the word. but it's whatever, people are silly, faggot uses to mean a bundle of sticks. /shrugs

i think those are all hasty generalizations which are fallible. because people cant refrain from adding their own values (like predicting how a hipster would react to something becoming popular), hipster is one of those words that one person views a certain way while another person thinks of it another way. like love, or moral. objectively speaking, it has a wide margin if we include all of the peoples biases and assumptions. some people associate it with a chill person who has an appreciation with lesser known media. i've seen "hipsters" on yt comments praising artists for getting more air time and acquiring more fans, others questioning why things arent more popular, so the generalization that hipsters would hate to see artists they like succeed is fallible. other people think theyre stuck up people who like unpopular media and believe everything else sucks. these are all common traits found in everyone. i dont like pokemon, i like lali puna. other people dont like things like lali puna, they like pokemon.

i sift through all the biases provoked by emotions and find what people can agree on objectively, . hipsters are people who enjoy media which isnt well know by the majority of a population. i was asking him for his definition to expose his biases and maybe change his mind on how he views me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote        
People nowadays are just plain strange, they think things are so awesome that everyone should watch or should have and if they don't there's something wrong with them- like you're an alien.