Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Private Roleplaying
Post new topic   Reply to topic School of Whimsical Wizardry [KaceyCat and June 1x1]
Juneberry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote        
Another year at Hogwarts meant another year of torment by the crueler members of the school- but unlike many muggles that struggled against the teasing of their pureblood counterparts, Orland Green didn't seem to care at all. In fact, he was quite antsy to get to the school and begin the year of magic and mayhem.

Sitting alone in one of the few far-from-busy cabins in the large train that would soon fly them to their school once again that year, the blond boy sat relaxed against a plush seat with his grey eyes happily gleaming towards the window. After all, the best part of train rides was the view- whether it was a literally magical one or not. And, since he was the only one in the cabin at the moment, he could take any seat he wanted. "Soon it'll be time to start again. I wonder if the new students will be as interesting as last year's?"

KaceyCat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote        
For Zytavion Alastair Preston-Langfall, the year's torment had already begun. It didn't matter that he was a 7th year (and therefore older than most other students). He wasn't even a muggle-born! Tavie was, in truth, a half-blood, with a wizard father and a muggle mother. But he'd been muggle-raised for the most part, as his parents had divorced when he was young, his mother taking him with her from America back to her home in Ireland. Despite being half-wizard, Tavie was often treated like a muggle-born because of his upbringing. The fact that he had an American accent in the land of Brits didn't really help, either.

The Ravenclaw had been sitting in a cabin with a few other students he didn't particularly know. They'd been sharing stories and enjoying some sweets one of the others had brought when it happened. First, his nose started to tickle. Then it felt really runny. Swiping it with a tissue, he was surprised to find that he had a rather heavy nosebleed, which was now dripping all over his t-shirt. Luckily, he hadn't changed into his school robes yet. The others in the cabin all started giggling, breaking out into full-on guffaws. "Oh, man! I can't believe he actually ate it!" One of them had slipped him a particularly strong 'nosebleed nougat' they had purchased from Zonko's Joke Shop. Great. They weren't being friendly, they were trying to make a fool of him.

Pinching his nose shut with the tissue, Zytavion grabbed the handle of his trunk (He'd been wise enough to get one with wheels) and made his way out into the hall. The cage containing his rather large Great Grey owl, Olaf, was securely strapped to the top of his trunk, and a blue-grey munchkin cat named Beatrice sat complacently on the trunk next to the cage. Sighing to himself, Tavie set off to find another compartment, preferably one with as few people as possible.

Finally, the flaming red-haired boy found a compartment that looked to only have one other in it. Tentatively, he rapped on the door before sliding it open a bit. "Er, mind if I sit in here? Everywhere else is full." Nose still pinched shut, he spoke with a nasally voice. It wasn't entirely true, but he didn't want to sit with lots of people. Too preoccupied with trying to stop his persistent nosebleed, he didn't notice how he looked, considering there was a rather large bloodstain on the front of his shirt.
Juneberry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote        
When the red haired man wandered into the cabin, Orland was still happy to enjoy the view- but, alas, he was no longer alone to do so. "Of course I don't mind. I mean, better you sit here than stuck in a crowd to make that nose of yours bloodier than a corpse." He meant well by his words, of course- Orland was actually a very naive and yet loving boy all in all. He just tended towards having poor word choice- likely due to having a doting uncle living with him and getting rather frustrated rants from his parents.

Standing despite the train's clear readiness to depart, he held his hand out happily to the other fellow. It took him a moment to choose which hand to extend, not wanting to steal the one from the pinched nose, but wanting to properly take care of introductions. "My name is Orland Green, Hufflepuff. I look forward to another year to enjoy with you, good sir." 'Good sir'? Well, his wording was still a bit bewildering, but at least he'd fixed up his ability to be formal with strangers. Well, somewhat. "Take a seat, take a seat. And I recommend the window. Lovely view I reckon."

KaceyCat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote        
Tavie shrugged and pulled his trunk into the cabin before sliding the door shut with his foot. "Thanks. Yeah, someone must've sneaked me a nosebleed nougat or something. No real harm done, just annoying." Tentatively, he removed the tissue and dabbed at his nose once more, pleased to see it had stopped bleeding. "See? Oh." He'd just noticed the extent of the stain on his shirt. "Uhh..." Well crap. Were they allowed to do magic on the train? Yes, it wasn't at school, per-se, but it was school property, right? He didn't want to risk trying to magic the stain out of his shirt.

Smiling, Tavie shook Orland's hand. "Zytavion Alastair Preston-Langfall. Um, my family has a thing for long names. You can call me Tavie, though. And I'm a Ravenclaw. It's a pleasure to meet you." Securing his trunk under a seat and setting Olaf's cage on a seat, he plopped down into the other window seat. "But of course. Window views are always the best part of travel. Well, conventional travel, anyway." Beatrice hopped up onto his lap and poked him with a paw, meowing impatiently. "Oh, yes, sorry Bea." He murmured to her before clearing his throat and looking to Orland. "This is Beatrice, Bea for short. And that big guy in there is Olaf." Said owl simply let out a low hoot before going back to sleep.
Juneberry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote        
"Tavie hm? I like it. The long name thing is cool, but I think Tavie is really nice sounding." Of course, Orland has a very simple name. He had no middle name to mention and was from a plain family. But he had a fondness for all names- probably due to being surrounded by a bookstore most of his life outside of school.

Relaxing into his seat, he smiled to the two animals that the other noted. "Olaf and Bea, hm?" He stretched and smiled, cooing lightly towards the cat that relaxed upon Tavie's lap. "Quite cute fellows if I do say so myself. Of course, I just have a soft spot for cute things." Cute things meaning anything almost. Orland was the time to get in trouble for playing with animals he probably shouldn't have. In fact, he'd just last week almost gotten eaten by a tiger at a zoo- but was luckily saved by animal control and his natural charm towards the creature.

"I've never had a pet, but I adore animals. Let me say hello to the cuties again sometime at school okay?" He grinned a sloppy, goofy smile that made his cheeks perk up awkwardly, like a child in a candy store.

Staring out the window soon after his words, he closed his eyes to take in the scent of the carriage. He took in each word he heard without a care in the world, but yet strangely willing to listen. "Ah, nosebleed nougats are troublesome. Tasty, but troublesome. Best be glad you don't have one of them blood disorders that makes you bleed even more than usual."

KaceyCat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote        
((Sorry I took so long!))

"Ah, thanks. My mam's side of the family apparently likes odd, long names. Must've been confusing growing up with 3 siblings, all with names longer than a full length novel." Tavie chuckled, remembering the first time he'd met his uncles. There was a Levinathe-something or other, a Careshfrines-or something, and the rather unlucky Moccadewanlent-blah blah blah. Uncles Levi, Car, and Moc, as he'd decided to call them as a young child. His mom had apparently been the lucky one, with an almost normalish (okay, yeah, still stretching it there) name: Syrenica. Hey, at least it didn't look like a bunch of random syllables. Odd, one would think the wizarding side of his family would be the ones with eclectic names, but no, it was all the muggle side of his family.

"A fellow animal lover, eh? But no critters to call your own. Ah, don't worry, Bea'll probably decide to hang out with you on the occasion. She's not actually mine, she just chose me. I figured might as well keep her around and let her travel safely, since she'll just follow me whether I want her to or not." Settling down into his seat, Zytavion decided not to bother with worrying about his shirt for now. They'd have to change into robes soon enough, anyway.

Tavie nodded slightly. "Yeah, having a type of coagulopathy would be bad. Should never give someone a nosebleed nougat unless you know they don't. Else they might have to get their nose stuffed with cotton to make it stop. Or worse, cauterized." He shuddered. Uncle Car had told that story plenty of times.

"Hey, back to the animal subject, have you considered being an animagus?" Tav grinned. He'd wanted to be one for so long, and he finally got certified this past summer. It had taken ages to get it right.

((In case you wonder, the names were made of me flicking my eyes over my bookshelf repeatedly and picking bits of titles. And the whole stuff/cauterize thing? My aunt used to get really bad nosebleeds when she was a kid. Both of those happened to her.))
Juneberry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote        
"I wish our family had such interesting names. No real interesting ones in my family, except maybe my cousin Adalynn. Most of our names are pretty simple. Morris, Shauna, Kipp. You know, those boring names for simple workers and big family's that are hard to keep track of." The most long name that Orland could think of as he looked back at his lineage was his father's parents- but he had never gotten to know them well enough to remember them anyhow. He was just glad his name wasn't Oregano like he used to think it might end up, since his older brother had grown to call him that. His older brother...How was that fellow now?

HE went back to listening as Tavie talked about Bea and the fact she was actually just a tag-along ride. "Couldn't really keep an animal in my house even if we wanted to, but she's always welcome at my house too if she gets bored on time out of school. So long as my sister doesn't get ahold of her, it should be fine. My sister's still a wee one. Likes to dress anyone she can, I tell you. Coming here two hours early wasn't actually to get a good seat like I told her, just to get out of wearing a princess gown. I much prefer a robe to a dress, even if it does make my sister smile like an angel."

He laughed nervously, remembering the last time he'd dressed up for his sister- the day before, to be exact. He'd managed to be pursuaded into a strange singlet she'd gotten their mother to sew just for her entertainment. The girl was a darling when she smiled- but she had quite a devil hidden in her! "I think an animagus would be fun to be, but it'd be dangerous if my family saw me in the future. Best be keeping that type of magic to myself I suppose anyway- but it'd sure be nice to do so. Might find other uses for magic instead though. Something really useful, don't you think?"

((Well done! I liked the names xD And sorry to hear your aunt's troubles!))

KaceyCat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote        
"Not all that great, if you ask me. It just gets too confusing, and you always have to worry about pronunciation and all that. And besides, those names aren't boring. Simple enough to be effective, not obnoxious, but different enough that you don't get much confusion with other people with the same name. And it's not like those people who name their kids after ordinary things. I went to elementary school back in America with a kid named Wynter, like the season. Nice enough girl, but it didn't help that her last name was Snofaule. And then there was Hunter Green, like the color." Tavie laughed, remembering the fun he'd had with them before he moved.

Fuzzing Bea's fur up a bit before smoothing it back down, Zytavion smiled. "I'm sure she'd love to take you up on that offer. Despite the short legs, she can be fast when she wants to be. And of course you'd be welcome at our house, I'm sure. We have a small animal rehabilitation center, so there's that if you want to hang out with more critters. Right now we've got a litter of wolf pups, with no mama. A couple of bunnies, some different birds...Actually, Olaf's brother visits from time to time. He's not quite as big. Oh, yeah, and a lynx and her two cubs. Not even native to the area. She was probably some rich guy's exotic pet that escaped and got preggo with some other cat. Not that she'll be released once better. She'll stay with us and her babies, since it's safer that way." A shrug. "She's nice enough, just a little wary. I'm sure she'd warm right up to you."

An impish grin crept across Tav's face. "Aww, you didn't want to be a pretty princess? I'm sure you'd have been beautiful." He chuckled. "Little sisters can get you to do just about anything if their puppy eyes are good enough. Has she ever tried to use makeup on you?"

"Oh, yeah, it's great. I don't know if it's just me, but animals seem to get along better with magic-folk. I mean, my mam's great with them, but they respond better to me. And I think they used to with my dad, too." Plenty of other things had become easier with magic too. Less worry about dropping and breaking something. "Your family doesn't like magic?" Tavie's mom didn't like it too much, but so long as he only used it when she couldn't see, it was okay. She'd taught him plenty of useful muggle stuff anyway, like how to drive.

((Why thank you~ I used Black Beauty, The Beaded Moccasins, My Friend Flicka, Dewey, Syren, Magyk, Talent, Leviathan, and so on. And she's okay now That was just when she was little. Like, the 60's/70's.))
Juneberry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote        
"I guess that's true. Our names are easy to say at least. Though sometimes people get really confused anyway. Easy to make fun of too- though I guess it's not a problem really. It's not like there aren't plenty of things one can be made fun of for. It's all in how you take it, I say. That's why I don't mind being treated different. It's just 'cause I'm special, am I right?" He grinned equally as he spoke. He jumped from one part of a conversation to another with a fluid thought process, but his hand gestures were a bit erratic anyway. "Speaking of, it's not that my family doesn't like magic."

Using a circular gesture, he started to act like he was waving a wand to point at things, imagining his family in the room. "It's just that they can't use it, and our area is full of others just like 'em. Um...I guess the modern term is muggle? But I don't think it such a nice term really. I prefer just magically disoriented, or something. At least it sounds a bit classier. I think it does, anyhow. But since the rest can't use magic, it feels wrong to use it in the house I'd say. And there are lots of us there. I'd probably break something!"

Then there was the issue of being treated as a pretty princess by his sister. Wasn't being forced to wear make up just part of the game? "If you want, I can tell you the best colors I look in at this point thanks to her, even if I wish I couldn't."