Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Private Roleplaying
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Juneberry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote        
Due to her natural inclination towards an overly-friendly personality, she didn't manage to become offended by the harsh reality of human thoughts. Then again, it was no surprise to Adatia that others thought that way, and she'd already grown to accept the fact- even though at first she'd gone criyng to Leverna several times.

"Well, as I've explained to others, I haven't a clue what that really means. Some of our words are different than yours. While we do live up on the hills in our craft- well, most of us do- we may or may not fit the 'cult' description...Since Leverna says I'm too innocent to learn its meaning yet as a word." A soft giggle exhaled her frustration of being treated as a child by her friend, or at least the thought that such was the case.

With a sigh, she continued. 'But I know what alien means, and that by standard would indeed fit us. We're not from this world. We're called Atrica. On our home planet, we'd just be called people, but on this planet, we're not native, so..." She shook it off. Explaining further would be too much reiteration compared to what was necessary. "But we do have a share of differences that likely make us scary to humans. It isn't that surprising, even if it's a little sad. I mean, I've never tried to eat the things Leverna puts on the table for herself. I think I tried a cookie once when she made midnight snacks, but..." She shivered, remembering the taste.

"Cookies don't taste anything like sunlight. And milk is really weird tasting. I'll stick with my water and sunlight. And of course, we have plant hair as some might call it. Well, most of us do. My hair's turned red with stress. It was scary suddenly coming here from my little home, you know. I miss my father still. Earthlings are rather small, so it's hard to find someone as tall as my father to hug. Though hugs from humans aren't bad either. It just feels strange being the taller one, or occasionally the same height."

Saygen40

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote        
Atrica? Sol wasn't certain yet whether he believed her story, but there was no doubting that Adatia did - either through truth or own fantasies. Either way, indulging in her topics would be easy to do. Sol was also extremely bored, whether he let it show or not.

"How far away is...Atrica? Or, wait, that was the species name? What is your planet called?" He could feel his posture relaxing. Though Adatia wasn't his type - despite have yet to define a type - she had an air of comfort and acceptance that surrounded them. The bar seemed to withdraw back, people jeering and toasting at a distance far removed from himself, and in his space there was only Adatia's fanatical chiming. It was different. Distracting. He forgot about his leg for a moment and listened.

"So you photosynthesize?" Sol asked. "Big word, Sol," Leverna teased. Leverna was in the bubble too; right. he scowled at her, then returned his attention to Adatia.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote        
His questions seemed entertaining to the carefree child. She rather liked someone taking an interest, and either way, the man certainly seemed interesting despite his gruff appearance. "We come from Atrix. I...Can't say how far it is though actually. I lost track of time and distance on the ship here. Have you ever been on a space ship? It's quite tiring. And apparently there's such thing as space-sickness."

Giggling weakly, she leaned herself against the table slightly, her face closing the distance slightly between herself and her conversation partner. She wasn't too close, the table between them helping keep a barrier so that she wasn't by any means about to kiss him- but she was certainly closer than only a moment before.

"Think of me as an earth plant. I may look like a regular girl, but I don't eat regular girl food. I turn the sun's rays into energy. But, unlike plants, I can tell you how it tastes. And I'll say, sunlight tastes delicious."

Saygen40

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote        
The solid orbs of her eyes seemed directionless without pupils, but as she leaned in close to Sol he could make out the faint designs indicating her line of sight - directly at him. He gulped, unsure of her sudden gesture. On Earth, this new proximity is reserved for lovers and families, not between strangers, even at a bar. She was piercing, pointedly discussing her sampling of the sun. Was it threatening? was it playful? Adatia's cheeriness was simple to identify, but her other emotions weren't so easy. Sol mistook her.

The men down the bar counter ordered another round of drinks and jostled over one another when they arrived. Sol sat confused, mulling the new alien information with mouth agape and eyes lost in the pools which were the alien girls eyes. "Okay," he finally muttered, pulling himself together. Was it shock? Was that why he sat still for so long? From the depths of his mind questions began to emerge. Tedious and smother-able at first, but they grew more numerous and persistent. Sol had been numb for a month after his accident - unwilling to participate in life. Cheated. Angry with no one to understand. Angsty, as it were, but justifiably so. The drama of a teenager thinking the world doesn't understand them is simple in comparison of traumatic loss of limb and worth.

Still, the question rose with fire and he couldn't maintain his somber demeanor any longer. "You really are an alien? You have a space ship? Where is it?"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote        
She giggled, happily. Her cheerfulness was no hoax, but his curiosity may have been part of it growing. It was rare people actually listened to her honesty and accepted it as truth- the few that did always were quick to gain the girl's too-simple trust. An example, of course, was her lovely boss.

Upon his questioning their spaceship's station, she had to look towards the window for a moment to recall the directions in her mind. Drawing a map in the air with her finger, she figured out the direction and pointed. "There's a hill far off that direction, right? There's some pretty flowers that grow there only when the moon hits, and another group scattered there that hibernate at night like we prefer to."

"That hill...That's where we landed. But a lot of us opted to move separately from that place." Her jolly smile turned a little more relaxed and maybe even a little saddened. "Though, it might be because I already felt a bit separate that I left in the first place...Don't you find big cities like this a bit more fun than a giant building full of nameless faces?"

Saygen40

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote        
Happiness, wonder, sadness. Adatia's expressions were human enough to incur empathy when she hinted to her isolation from her species - a unwelcome feeling Sol could identify with. People always claimed that there was no "normal", that everyone was unique in their own way. But there is a difference between being unique and being different, and the difference might as well be burned into the skin of your forehead for the world to see and take caution. What Sol would give to have a chance like Adatia has - to leave and restart on a new planet.

Yet even here, I judge her different. What a hypocrite I am.

Sol threw back the last of his drink and pushed the empty glass toward the bar edge for Leverna to come by and collect.

"So that's why you're one of the few aliens in Port Hanner. I didn't realize there were so many more at your ship," Sol connected, wondering what kind of society existed aboard the ship. Part of him wanted to see it, but the road into the mountains only went so far and the rest had to be traveled on foot - foot, rather than feet, quite literally in his case. Still, the question lingered and came to occupy the bar stool next to Adatia.

"What do you mean by hibernate?" he ventured. "You mean, just sleeping at night?" Leverna came over to collect his glass and gave a sly tap of her wrist toward him. Adatia's break would almost be up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote        
"While most flowers are in bloom for the full hours of day and night, there are many species that only bloom during a portion of the day. Some are nocturnal and only bloom when the moon is out and the sun's asleep. But others only bloom during sunlight. Just like people." A soft smile came upon her as she let her philosophical display come to an end.

She leaned back slightly, close enough to falling without actually tumbling to the ground without any support at her back- she was careful to keep her balance and only lean so far. Still, by leaning back, the ceiling was in full view of her somewhat blank eyes that were searching for some sort of twisted answer to a question she couldn't name. While she did so, though, she at least kept herself in his present conversation, turning her eyes to glance towards him without sitting upright as she spoke again.

"Indeed, hibernation does involve sleeping. It also involves protecting ourselves from the elements with our will, I believe." She smiled and pulled herself up finally, instead leaning forward now. "Yes, many more on the ship indeed. All people I barely know, but came together with for the same cause. It's like a club where no one knows each other well. I find it quite lonely there, even if I'm not alone there. This place is much more friendly. It's sad in a way because of it. No one listens, yet everyone is warm. There, everyone listens, but no one is warm. In a way, I can't help but wonder where the line is drawn between friend and ally, between trust and acceptance."

Saygen40

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:46 pm Reply with quote        
"Withstand the elements, huh," he mused to himself out loud. Sol imagined a snowy field and what would happen if he dropped Adatia in it. Would she hibernate through it? Form some cocoon and live inside it's protective shell aloft in thought with only her mind to keep her company? Perhaps that was why her attention seemed so divided. Conversing with the voice in her head was as equally important as conversing with the physical person next to her. What snowy fields in the area thawed out come Spring?

Adatia continued talking of life aboard the ship, and Sol could feel the question in the stool next to her lean in, cough at little, gaze with dopey, longing eyes to be asked, and throw in an obvious "ahem". Finally, Sol caved. "Maybe the ship wouldn't be so bad if I went with you?" Sol suggested. Upon hindsight, he realized how flirtatious his question sounded. And that must be bad, he guessed. Maybe. "Cause, ya know, I'm not Atrica." You're not necessarily good company either, Sol, he berated himself.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote        
"Humans aren't supposed to enter the ship. Besides, you might burn yourself. We keep a lot of UV lamps on board for midnight snacks." She explained. There was a piece of her heart that was tempted to switch the answer completely and fight the protocol of the Atrica. "It's one thing for one to mingle with another species, but you don't take a foreign plant easily to new soil without dangers lurking for all around- including the foreigner."

She could tell though that her break was nearing an end. Adatia may have had no clue to his thoughts and his mindfulness, but she knew she didn't dislike speaking with him- especially since he seemed to accept their reality more than most of the customers at the bar.

As she swerved her legs out to the side and stepped herself off the stool she sat, she turned her head to give a gentle smile that could only be deemed familiar if one desired to place the emotion behind it. "I like you. You're not like others. Please chat with me again sometime. And if I manage to get permission...Just maybe we really will go back to the ship together. Someday."

Saygen40

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote        
And then Sol watched her walk away, returning to her work while he lingered with Adatia's words. Melodic wasn't the only way to describe them, he thought, finding himself stuck in a gaze he couldn't break -Adatia being its focus. Her words were a promise. No, they were promise itself, embodied in alien charms and mysteries and curiosities - invitational to weathered souls seeking new life once rung void. Adatia herself was a promise of something new, of an adventure Sol disbelieved himself to ever encounter again.

That was the moment that Sol realized he would follow the alien girl to the end of the galaxy. At the time, he just didn't understand exactly what that would take.

"Alright, I'm heading home. The best tippers have all reached their limits and I just got word someone threw up all over the men's bathroom," Leverna announced. She threw down her counter rag and threw her hands up in the air. "Adatia! I'm heading home. I'll leave the back door unlocked for when you come in. Can you just make sure Mr. Flutterfrey doesn't sneak out when you come in? He got out last night and killed one of the neighbors 'Tufted Titmouse', apparently. I guess that's a type of bird," she shrugged, making air italics with her fingers.

"Oh, so you're just going to leave me with the bathroom, then?" spouted Oliver, the other bartender who rotated throughout the week. He was in his 40's and dressed too formally for the bar - nevertheless that state of Maine. Oliver had lost a significant amount of hair. He considered it a drastically receding hairline and everyone else just called it balding. He had 'tufts', apparently, but Sol hadn't found them yet.

"Sure am. We agreed that you'd take the men's and I'd take the women's bathrooms," answered Leverna, giving Oliver a pointed look.

Oliver scowled. "I think we need to revise this rule considering Adatia's the only female that's been in this bar for the last two weeks, and she's possibly not even considered a female since she's alien."

"Damn, I really thought D cups were the way to go, though," Leverna pouted, grabbing her fake breasts and giving them a small jostle. "Don't worry you two, mommy spent too much money on the sex change to take you back."

"The twins accept your reassurance, but agree that you should clean the bathroom this time," the other bartender inserted, pushing money back across the counter to a man who was clearly too intoxicated to have another round.

"You can't be the voice of my boobs. That's against the rules."

"Oh? Can I be the voice of one of them, then? Let's say the left boob is the voice of logic."

Sol rolled his eyes. Oliver and Leverna continued to bicker in their strange way for another five minutes before they both agreed to leave the bathroom to the opening manager. Saying they argued like brother and sister wasn't quite right, nor would saying they argued like progressive lovers. Regardless, Sol had become used to it and quickly learned to steer clear of engaging with them for fear of being caught up in a tangle of unknown, identity bending riddles that made him feel a little less sure of himself.

Leverna left and the wives arrived to collect their drunken husbands - tugging them out the door by the ears. Soon, the bar was nearly empty except for Sol, Oliver, Adatia, and the same man a couple stools over asleep in his spilled drink. "Look's like we'll be closing early tonight," Oliver chimed happily, straightening his tie and repining his cuff links. He was the only person Sol knew that became more formal towards the end of the day.

Suddenly, the door opened. Oliver and Sol both looked up, curious if someone had come to finally retrieve the sleeping man, but instead found two men dressed in grey suits and shades. In their presence, Oliver was now the third best dressed man in Maine. "Oh, hello gentlemen, just so you know we'll be closing in twenty minutes," Oliver nearly snarled, his friendly demeanor from before having clearly been replaced. Sol looked to him, curious as to the bartender's uncharacteristic change. Oliver kept his eyes locked on the men.

"We'll leave in twenty minutes, then," the taller man in the grey suit responded stoically. They both took a seat at the farthest booth from the bar, folded their hands patiently, and waited.

"There's a coat rack if you would like," Oliver pressed, but was met with small shakes of the head and then sustained silence.

Sol tried again to catch Oliver's eyes, but the man wouldn't turn away. He stared, just as unmoving as the two men. Deep down, Sol felt a twinge of something he hadn't experienced in a long time. It was the same feeling he got back on the shrimp boat, Lady Babosa, before the pots came lose. Before they crushed his leg. Whatever the feeling was, it t told him to leave. Fast.

"Oliver, what's going on?" Sol whispered discreetly through his glass, seeking reassurance that he was safe. No answer. He ran his eyes across the floor to find Adatia, wondering if she had noticed the worrying stalemate between Oliver and the men in suits.

What the hell is going on?