Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Feedback & Suggestions
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote        
I use attack spells in battle constantly. They are very weak, drain your mana fast, and It takes forever to win a fight but recharging them is a great way to increase your enchant skill. But in difficult battles, I switch to real weapons because magic is largely useless.

Almost as a joke I just bought a newbie defense spell figuring that it might accidently do 1 or 2 points of damage to a butterfly. I was surprised to see that it increases your physical attack and defense by 1 point for the rest of the battle. It didn't explain this in the spells description but I thought it was a great idea.

I would suggest that if new spells are being developed, forget any new attack spells. Weapons do plenty of damage even for magic casters so more attack spells would be redundant. Instead, try spells that buff your character in some way. Increase armor ratings. Or Damage ratings. Or increase various stats. You could have a spell for each statistic. Or you could have spells that weaken the enemy in some way other than damage like lowering their hit probability or reduce damage. This would offset the warriors sizable Strength, HP, and Armor class bonuses and give spell casters a reason to develop Intelligence instead of the usual strength and constitution.

EDIT: I have been playing around and just discovered that the Newbie defense spell stacks it's bonuses if you cast it multiple times. So far, that is my favorite spell in the game!
CopperSpiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote        
As a spell user who switched to weapons once I got to a higher level, I really like this idea. I'd like to be using spells again.

The Clonery: Come join the mimicry fun!

PlumBerry is my mule.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:06 pm Reply with quote        
These are great ideas. I will be pulling from this thread as we get deeper into v3 development, so please continue sharing things that have to do with spells/magic here. If there are other things that you'd like to see, make new threads in this forum and I will read them, too.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. :]

Pikmin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:09 pm Reply with quote        
I wouldn't exactly say "forget new attack spells" 'cos the fact weapons are outclassing them as a mage type should be the very reason to make more.

My characters intelligence is 76 now and with the current attack spells;

Normal damage - 37
Effective damage - 56
Uneffective damage - 28

If I had that much strength I'm pretty sure I'd do more with a weapon.. You can at least argue that you'll always have the elemental advantage with the spells, and you can argue that it's my fault for having such low strength... But I wanted to be magey :c

By no means am I saying your ideas are bad, I think they're really good, I'd just still also like to see some more offensive spells, 'cos getting your intelligence to 76 just to do decent damage is something not many people can be arsed to do xD

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote        
You bring up a good point with that, Pikmin. I don't personally think that magic users should have to train so much to deal decent damage, but I think the issue is more with the system and less with the spells. When I made the spells, I had to give them quite a bit of power so that a mage could compete with a fighter. In the future, I'm going to try to change the system itself so that magic packs a bigger punch.

Even still, a wider variety of spells like what was mentioned by Strix would be helpful too. I'm open to considering any suggestions on magic in general. The overhaul that I did a few months ago was a good start, but it fell short of what I was hoping for. Thanks to feedback from higher leveled people who use magic, like you all, I can continue taking notes on magic in our system and make it more fun to use.

Strix Varia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote        
I'm still not sure about stronger attack magic but Pikmin does have a point about about mages not being able to do as much raw damage. I might suggest taking some of the weapons designed specifically for spell casters, such as the wand and staff, and base their damage bonus off of Intelligence rather than strength.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:02 pm Reply with quote        
Right, that is definitely something that needs to be done. I want to see a change like that too.