Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Square
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote        
I need to do some research 17th/18th century Europe and 17th century France, but I'm pretty ignorant (and dense) on all things history. If you have any information to share, please post it here! :] There is one group/tribe/clan on Midorea that was somewhat inspired by 17th/18th century Europe and 17th century France, so I need to learn about different things of cultural and political significance from these periods. Feel free to include links to helpful websites too.

If you manage to guess what group/tribe/clan that was inspired by this period, I'll give you an item. But, I won't say what it is until I give it out.

Juneberry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:44 pm Reply with quote        
I mean, I'm just using wikipedia but...According to my research (which I haven't done in a long time), some of the things that might be helpful to know is that in the 17th century, centralized banking and the first newspaper came to be in Europe. Tea and coffee were just becoming popular at the time, and also...The Thirty Years War took place around then. By the way, it was also considered a very strong time of change of philosophy and scientific knowledge, so the century is often spoken of as the Scientific Revolution.

Also, I'm gonna guess the group/tribe is the most recently added group from the event that happened while I was away. I'd guess otherwise, but I read about the site to cheat on the side so I'd feel bad saying the other answer.

EDIT: Found a site you may or may not find useful.

Angelic.Demon
Recolorer
Recolorer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:42 pm Reply with quote        
I really like this article from Encyclopedia Britannica. I learned a brief history of France for my French class throughout one year, and this article highlights some key people and events that I remember. My memory isn't good enough to recall everything on it's own, but I'd definitely take a look here. The article starts at the political ideology around beginning of the time era, and just keep going right to move forward in time.

Cultural:
- Château - The châteaux in France were build anywhere form 10th to 20th century, but the ones build in the 17th century would reflect the styles of the time. Some big names are Chambord (late 17th century), Cheverny ( between 1624 and 1630), and the biggest was probably Versailles, where the royal court was to be moved. Lots of interesting architecture, and they were all built by different people.
- Late French Renaissance

Political:
- Versailles -moving the court, Louis XIV forcing the nobles to live there to lessen their power
- Louis XIV - huge patron of the arts
- Divine Right of Kings: In the 16th century there had been religious wars that threatened the monarchy, but Henry IV (King before Louis XIII, who was king before Louis XIV) strengthened the monarchy before he passed away. Louis XIV used the divine right to his advantage
- Edict of Nantes was passed in 1598, allowing Huguenots (French Protestants) freedom of religion. They were extremely persecuted in France, hence the religious wars that had occurred.

Obviously there's a lot more, and I'm not sure what you've already looked at. If you need anymore I can help, my memory isn't great but if I read about it I'll definitely recognize the name. I spent some time on the Chateaux, so that's what really stuck out to me.

::Shop::
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote        
Thanks for responding, guys. This helps a lot - especially the links. ^^

Juneberry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:16 pm Reply with quote        
I'm glad you found useful info :3 I look forward to seeing the use of your hard work come to light <3

CopperSpiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote        
I want to make a guess about which clan, but I can't find the info on any of the clans. >__<'

The Clonery: Come join the mimicry fun!

PlumBerry is my mule.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah, that stuff can be kind of hard to come by. But, to my knowledge, we never explicitly said what inspired this one, so you'll have to go based on cues like items associated with the group.

Juneberry

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote        
And be careful, since I tried that and still got it wrong. Happy

Weaseldale

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote        
It's been said a couple places publicly if you know where to look~

Oooh, am I allowed to guess Chu? :P

Uni has swallowed me whole, in more ways than one, sorry guys. Feel free to PM any questions (or nonquestions {or anything else, no limits here}) you have, although I don't know when I'll get to them since I'm barely on atm.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote        
Has it, Ace? If you're thinking Naquirfa, that's not it. If you're thinking something else, then maybe. xP

Weaseldale

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote        
Maybe not said explicitly, but I still think I know which one... since I have access to other stuff though I won't guess xD

And nah, Naquirfa is an earlier period, right?

Uni has swallowed me whole, in more ways than one, sorry guys. Feel free to PM any questions (or nonquestions {or anything else, no limits here}) you have, although I don't know when I'll get to them since I'm barely on atm.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:50 pm Reply with quote        
Mhmm, Naquirfa is a few centuries prior. :3

And you can send me a message just to see if you got it right. xP