Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
fickle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote        
has anyone seen these pranks on youtube trying hard to be comedic?

i didnt feel offended when i saw them, i did think they were poorly constructed pranks trying to make people feel bad for wanting a man that can provide. ok, maybe i did get a little offended, but i didnt let my emotional biases influence what i'm about to type next.

first, what IS a gold digger? can we agree on a definition here? lets say someone who takes/asks for material goods without providing anything in return. that sounds ok to me. generally, i think people would be disinterested in forming a relationship with a person like that. it's exhausting! theres a problem with that prank though...

i can't speak for all women, this is just my take on the thing. all animals have an innate desire to procreate. women innately want to procreate. more intelligent women seek out men who can provide, who are smart/strong, and who can provide her and their offspring security. alpha males (driven, smart/strong, financially stable, corporate CEOs, YOUR BOSS) are more desirable than beta males (follow the alpha males, breaking even, or less). ok, i know there are ton of women out there who are acting on instinct but don't give much thought to who they want to share their genes with, dont even know the baby daddy, have three babies and three different baby daddies. also, there are women out there who want stuff in exchange for sex, i actually dont moralize against this if everyone is in agreement with the situation. back to the main point though, gold diggers.

it's true, people want someone in their lives who can provide, all people, both men and women. it's necessary for the progress of man kind and evolution for it to be this way (some people might actually say we're devolving given the number of babies born to people who really shouldnt be parent, thats a whole other topic though). it's not clear that the women in the videos are gold diggers. the women that they chose to prank is peculiar to me, women whos clothes give the impression that they might actually not be against having a good hour with a man driving a lambo. if i may add, they had to BEG the second woman to get in the car. where are all of the other women they pranked too? prank vids on yt usually have a number of people in them, those had just one each. now, i may be wrong in thinking this, but i would not be surprised if that was the only footage they could use out of everyone they tried to prank.

you know what also wouldnt surprise me? if these guys were actually beta males with a fancy car who have been hurt by women who they probably picked up at a club. Confused

edit: please dont get the wrong idea, im not saying that gold giggers are OK because it's instinctual. if thats your impression, than im afraid youve misunderstood my point entirely.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote        
Personally, I've always thought that a gold digger is one (could be either sex, really, in any relationship) who starts it ONLY to get the money and/or fame that the relationship would provide. They're not interested in the sex or the relationship itself, only the fame and fortune. And they're worse if they GET it, then move straight on to the next meal ticket in search of more cash and fame.

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!
Which I'm good at spotting, apparently...
Peril

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote        
My lifepartner is a beta male through and through, and I consider myself an intelligent person. I don't need someone to take care of me; I am an adult and I can provide for myself. So I don't think it's fair to say that women who are more intelligent are necessarily the ones looking for a wealthy man. I would actually argue that the most intelligent women probably went to college and have a high-paying job themselves and therefore don't need to seek out a wealthy man.

That said, you're right that those videos weren't amusing at all. I agree with you that the guy probably attempted to do this to women many times and only got these two to fall for it. Also, he was sort of treating them like they were idiots, talking to them like you would a pet. I sense misogyny. What an asshole.

Peril is also Zillah.
fickle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:17 pm Reply with quote        
i was looking at it from an evolutionary biology angle. my boyfriend isnt an alpha male either, sorry if i offended you ): it's the case that evolutionary biology would suggest that alpha males are more desirable by way of sexual selection, it occurs everywhere in the animal kingdom. and if i may add, alpha males worked hard to be in the position that theyre in, they werent born alpha, every male has potential. it takes a long time, they tend to be older gentlemen probably starting to gray. i think of silver backs in a gorilla troop. i mentioned wealth being a factor in the selection of women because the prank is about gold diggers, wealth is just one thing an alpha male can have. i would not assume your boyfriend is a beta male because he doesnt earn a six digit income every year. idk what he is, i havent met the guy, it's harder to categorize people in alpha, beta, or omega because humans are complex. we're all still working within the laws of nature though. i just didnt like the way the prank was making "gold diggers" feel bad for wanting a partner that can provide because it's instinctual.

but yeah, sorry if that offended you ): i didnt take money into account when choosing to want to be with my boyfriend. he doesnt have lots of money, hes rich in kindness Happy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote        
Gold digging is a noble and honorable tradition. In any culture that practiced arranged marrages, the idea was to advance the family either economicaly, politically, or royally. Divorces were much less frequent and families were tighter. It was nice if the couple liked each other but that was seldom a deciding factor. Even today you see rich famous stars surrounded by young attractive followers. It's not really prostitution but it is assumed they will get something nice by following them. That sort of gold digging is actually seen as glamorous.

That being said, in high school I drove a beat up stick shift pinto and lived in the poor part of town. About four months ago I met a woman I used to really like in high school. I had asked her out a few times but she always politely indicated that she wasn't interested in dating me. Instead she was interested in dating about a dozen other guys who had flashy cars or came from wealthy families. Now she has three kids by three different fathers, is divorced, and works at a low paying assembly line job. I currently have a good job, own my own house, and have my own flashy car. Suddenly when we met and talked a bit, she decided that it would be nice to reconnect. Possibly spend some more time together.

Logically I can understand that she is doing what she thinks is best for herself and her children. Emotionally I wanted to scream"why don't you reconnect with all those guys in high school who were better than me???". In the end I just politely indicated that I wasn't interested in a relationship at that time.

Gold bricking might be reasonable and and understandable but it shows absolutely no respect to the brickee. I don't think that anyone wants to feel like their only value is how much money they have in the bank.

That is one thing I like about this forum. The people here tend to be more friendly and understanding than many other sites. I don't think gold bricking is a consideration with anyone here deciding who they want to date.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:57 am Reply with quote        
EDIT: sorry, double posted.
Peril

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:03 am Reply with quote        
Oh, you didn't offend me! I didn't mean to sound defensive at all, just giving my take on it. I appreciate your posts, fickle; they are very insightful and give me something to think about. ^-^

I understand how sexual selection works in the animal kingdom, but it doesn't apply quite the same to modern society. Humans are thriving, and we don't really need to be procreating, so while many of us are very driven by the instinct to breed, some are more driven by other aspirations. It isn't at all necessary in modern society for men to be the hunters and money-earners while women have and take care of babies. In fact, it is not necessarily for either partner to fill the latter role since couples do not need to have children. All people, regardless of gender, can work and take care of themselves, and I personally believe that in a relationship, responsibilities ought to be shared equally among all parties.

I see your point though. Maybe it is wrong of these 'comedians' to shame those who seek primarily to be provided for, based on the fact that this is a natural desire. I do think that sometimes we should question our own nature, but perhaps not necessarily in this case.

Peril is also Zillah.
fickle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote        
peril, i edited my post like five times before i saw your post xD idk if youve seen it all. i was hoping you didnt read it every time i went to edit it.

phew, thats a relief! /kneels down on the grownd and bows azn style/ i'm afraid i've misunderstood. my bady. please accept this gift /raises a slice of raw vegan cheesecake/

yeah, people are complex. i dont want to have babies myself, i still have that instinctive desire to pursue a relationship with a life partner. i feel like if my boyfriend and i were to part, i would want to date men who are responsible. theres a lot of things that go on in our lives that causes us to choose/want certain things, i was sort of focusing on the sexual selection aspect of life, maybe im being narrow minded? idk, it's like talking about dental hygiene without talking about hygiene in general. though, i dont know of any strong arguments myself suggesting gender roles exist, personally i dont think they do. anyone whos able to turn a faucet nob and put soap on a sponge can wash dishes to me lol! staying home and raising babies sounds like fu-boring xD i would like to see more independent people. a man who can cook for himself, a woman who can make an educated car purchase, etc. i like dividing the labor in our house. dishes, laundry, grocery, vacuum, tidying up and stuff. sometimes though, i take over because id rather have him focusing on business matters because it's more important. i think ive pretty much taken over food, im better at cooking than he is. unless it's fried rice or boiling pasta xP

strix, what an ungodly woman! lol, its funny i said the thing with the three baby daddy in my first post... lol xD sounds like shes lost her appeal and has run out of options. she's the type of person that acts without reason, purely instinctual, not much thinking power, eh?

id feel the same way, i dont want to be in a relationship where the person only takes from me, like a vampire. i dont find that relationship reasonable either. why i brought up wealth being a factor for potential relationships is because the prank is about gold diggers, it's not the only factor, i knows.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote        
After long years of marriage, I truly believe that the best relationships are based on friendship. My OH is my best friend. We have similar levels of intelligence, which I think helps, but while we like many of the same things we also like different things to each other. We have lives outside the marriage, and that helps, too. All relationships take work, though, and I'd be very bored if every day was the same!

I'm a bit of an 'earth mother' type, and my daughter is one of the best things in my life - even when she does something really silly or annoying!!!