Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
CopperSpiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:34 pm Reply with quote        
SO, I have a crazy hypothesis about people in the Pokemon series. (Epileptic Tree time!)

Ash has been battling and adventuring in the Pokemon world for well over a decade. His original friends are all off doing their own thing, and he's still a 10 year old kid. Which is weird.

I suspect that humans are a kind of Pokemon. They get sent out into the world at level age 10, much the same way you only find wild Pokemon at level 5 or above in the games. The young and babies aren't really seen in the games much, but there are definitely three stages after Kid; Teen, Adult, and Elder.

My suspicion is that either Ash has been clicking B passing on evolving because he's worried he won't be an Adventurer Type anymore, or his evolution condition really is to catch all the Pokemon.

Since all human type Pokemon go through this evolution pattern, it's not seen as weird for them to evolve at different times.

Tadaah!

The Clonery: Come join the mimicry fun!

PlumBerry is my mule.
fickle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote        
CrystalLD wrote:
Ouch. Then what about Fruits Basket? That seems to be the only average-high-school-life-for-the-most-part related anime I could get into. That and Ouran High School Host Club at least.
yeah i like fruits basket, ouran was ok. i've watched a ton of anime, A TON Sweat i dont remember all the ones i've seen, i'd have to think hard to remember. it was easy for me to say those five up there cos they were the most memorable, and i think i would enjoy sitting through them again. i'll try and come up with a more complete list some time.

sharm, i never noticed the gap until you mentioned it. the farthest back i can remember was DB, i dont remember seeing anime on air after that until adult swim on cartoon network. Oh Mai is this the same gap?

Coordinator
Coordinator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote        
fickle wrote:
CrystalLD wrote:
Ouch. Then what about Fruits Basket? That seems to be the only average-high-school-life-for-the-most-part related anime I could get into. That and Ouran High School Host Club at least.
yeah i like fruits basket, ouran was ok. i've watched a ton of anime, A TON Sweat i dont remember all the ones i've seen, i'd have to think hard to remember. it was easy for me to say those five up there cos they were the most memorable, and i think i would enjoy sitting through them again. i'll try and come up with a more complete list some time.

sharm, i never noticed the gap until you mentioned it. the farthest back i can remember was DB, i dont remember seeing anime on air after that until adult swim on cartoon network. Oh Mai is this the same gap?

Have you guys ever seen School Rumble? Aaah, it's such a good series, so funny. It's also an average-high-school-life-for-the-most-part type of anime.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote        
fickle: I'm not sure, I just know that some time in the 80's until in the 90's when Cartoon Network started to be a thing there was a push to do all American made shows with "proper" values. This is the same point when all the kids shows were doing the whole "lesson of the day" thing. Obviously this was only a thing in the US.
Kimi_Delaetus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote        
That stereotype drives me nuts for multiple reasons.

First, there's nothing wrong with liking stuff that's "supposed" to be for kids. Because a lot of anime deals with shit that's a lot deeper and more complex than "simple kid stuff". (At least the mangas normally do. Jury's still out on some of the animes, jeez.)

Second, there's a ton of anime/manga that are made solely for adults simply because of the subject manner. Would you have a "kid" watch Fullmetal Alchemist? Or an anime about a serial killer that gets terrifyingly graphic? I'm guessing no, for the most part. Teens, eh, they'd be a slightly more appropriate as an audience. But there's plenty out there not for kids.

Third, I think it's because anime tends to be associated with very negative stereotypes. Just because you like something does not make you weird or strange or...whatever.

I got into anime in my middle school years (dear god no one mention Naruto, okay?) and I'm still into it now, about ten years later.

I still watch some of the stuff geared towards a younger audience, partly for nostalgia's sake and partly because I still enjoy it anyway.

I will take your breath away
...and kill threads.

Kupsy wrote:
I'm vegetarian, I'd be a crap zombie.
Fear the wrath of the vegetarian zombie!! It will invade your vegetable gardens and turn all the cabbages into zombie vegetables! >:o
Sharm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:13 pm Reply with quote        
I agree, that stigma is silly. For the longest time animation was the cheapest way to to stories about fantastic things, it made no sense to ignore it for the older crowd.

I have a good friend who has brain damage in the part of her brain that processes external input. She prefers watching animated things because they're much simpler visually and often auditorially as well. This means if it's animated she can see a show the way the rest of us see it, without having to sort out what it means before she can enjoy it.

I love animated stuff for two main reasons. 1: I like stuff that's drawn. I'm an artist, it appeals to me. 2: I love me some over the top drama. Time travel, alternate universes, cloning, magical mishaps, amnesia, all the stuff you don't tend to see in a whodunit or sitcom. The place to get those types of stories is in Scifi and animated television, and I love them both. In the US animated stuff has the added bonus of a guaranteed happy ending, something I prefer quite a bit.

My dad once told me that when I grew up I'd stop liking cartoons and that I'd want to watch the nightly news instead. I told him that was ridiculous, that liking cartoons was part of the type of person I was and that I'd never grow out of it. 20 something years later, I'm still watching cartoons and hate the nightly news. My dad is one of those people who won't give anything animated a chance, but he'll watch the bad live action adaptations and enjoy them. Drives me and my brothers crazy.
CrystalLD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:43 pm Reply with quote        
@Sharm
Most of what you said strikes true for me. I mean, I enjoy to watch and draw anime more than any other kind of shows, albeit I like to watch comedic reality shows such as ICarly once in a while.
My family is always trying to get me out of it, even banishing me from anything remotely anime related for a short period of time. That didn't last long.

@copperspiral (not doin capital beginnings or whatever for names anymore XD)

I already heard that theory. I know that ash doesn't age, like... Ever. Proof of that is in the first episodes of the first season and the black and white seasons.
'from pallet town, home of 10 YEAR OLD ASH KETCHUM'
When I seen that in a theory video my jaw dropped and I shook my head in disbelief. Turns out that sprung a lot of theories, one of which being the 'ash's comma' theory.

@everyonewatchingpokemonandsuch
Anyone wanna discuss theories such as Ditto being a failed recreation of mew, the three legendary dog pokemon (suicune, entei and raikou) being the origins of the eeveelutions flareon, vaporeon and jolteon, and that cubone is a baby khanghaskan? And that's just STARTING on the theories Happy
Saygen40

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:08 am Reply with quote        
Someone might have already said this, but apart from the tone of the anime being tailored for a certain age group, there also seems to be a change in the violence level. I love quirky, witty, and pseudo-violent animes like Yu Yu Hakusho and a couple others, but it seems like thses are a rare combination to find.

Animes are either very simplistic and a bit corny for younger kids, then become extremely violent for adults with hardly any humor left in them. I've gotten too old to have patience with the corny ones, but that doesn't mean I want to watch the adults animes involving decapitation, gruesome bloody murders, rape, dismemberment, and extended scenes of torture.

It's becoming difficult to find animes with adult narrative, humor, and wit that lack gruesome deaths. Confused

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote        
I know what you mean Say, but every now and then (unbelievably) I enjoy that murderous, dismembering anime. Though I never find one that has just the right amount, except for one: Darker than Black. Good anime that, if not bloody. It has a tad of humor in it, and the main character is really likeable ^^
Saygen40

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote        
I don't mind gruesome murders every now and then either, it's just when it gets to be excessive...like Attack on Titan.

I'll have to give that anime a try! Happy I've been having a really hard time finding ones that I like.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:07 pm Reply with quote        
Eden of the East is a pretty good one in my opinion. There's some violence here and there and it's sorta out there, but it's a generally good series. Albeit it's weird as all heck.

Oh, and School Ghost Stories's secondary dub is funny as hell because they altered it to have a lot of really weird pop-culture references for the US, and...It was just bizarre. o.O I didn't see the original version though, so can't say how that was. o.o;

CrystalLD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:50 pm Reply with quote        
I have to say i like Attack On Titan myself :P
Although stuff like Elfen (Lied?) and Death Note still sends shivers up and down my spine. I still watch stuff like Shugo Chara and Sailor Moon every now and then though, to get back into the olden days when anime was all about regular people turning either psychotic or into super heroes ^^
Ah those days were the best... -sighs whistfully as I day dream about me being an anime character like that-
Juneberry

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:17 pm Reply with quote        
Shugo Chara is awesome. I only watched it two years ago for the first time so...It's not old. >:3

What IS old is Cyborg 009. I mean, the manga's from the 60s, and they've done multiple anime remakes. It's as old as my dad. xD

CrystalLD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote        
XD
So is Sailor Moon though :P
Saygen40

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote        
I still go back and rewatch episodes of Sailor Moon. *shameless plug*

As well as Yu Yu Hakusho. I LOVE that series.