Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
fickle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:16 am Reply with quote        
i'll be honest. i'm butthurt. someone told me i'm bad at art. they told me to draw something a certain way (put this here, that there, add this, remove that) cos that's the technique they learned. they were'nt criticizing my anatomy, coloring, or lighting. what they wanted was to change my whole technique. it felt like they were trying to program me so my art would look more common, or more of what theyre familiar with. i didnt like what they were suggesting, nor how they went about suggesting it. i didnt get better at drawing cos someone told me i sucked at it. Duh i'll be honest one more time, that's not what this post is about.

it seems that a lot of people on the internet share the same sentiment. at least where i go anyways. a number of people are put off by improper grammar or even shorthands. so much so that they begin to impose their values on strangers, demanding that they return to school, learn to type, whatever just as long as they not only become more coherent, but use capital letters, for goodness sake. no apostrophe!?! forget it. theyll believe theyre speaking to someone who is less intelligent than them. i've witnessed this so often that i would not be surprised if some mediums on the net develop an intersubjective consensus on how to type. what would happen on a hypothetical site like that if someone were to break that unwritten/unofficial law? would they outcast anyone who chooses to type improperly?

obviously, just like everyone else, i care only to type in the way that pleases me most. i think it's aesthetically pleasing to construct my sentences using all lower case letters. if i were after fame, i would construct my sentences in a way that pleases the general public. but im not on the internet for fame, im here to have casual conversations or even make friends... i fail real hard at giving orders or being bossy so id never tell anyone to not use capital letters. i've run into a few people who demanded such things from me throughout my journey on the internet. sometimes it's amusing because i am more coherent, can express myself more efficiently, and have more wisdom than the person who is making demands of me.

i found this topic trivial enough that it would not find a home in the university, but rather in a general forum.

TL;DR
people are pushy with their beliefs.
i'm questioning whether i have a home on certain sites.

anything like this ever happen to you?

Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote        
I'm not artistic, so I've never been in a situation like the one you described. >< It sounds incredibly frustrating, though. People can be so rude.

I've met lots of people that don't like smilies. Apparently I look like an idiot to those people because I use faces like XD :3 and such. I think it's silly. If I want to use an emote, I'll use an emote. If you lose respect for me over it, then there's a problem with you, not me. Same goes for people who are snobby about capital letters or punctuation. I'll admit, it's hard for me to push through sentences written With All Capital Letters oR raNdoM caPiTal LetTerS. Although you might call bullshit, I can't really concentrate on what is being said on those sentences. The random caps are really disruptive to me, and if I have to read too much of it, I'll find myself spacing out at some point. So, I don't think such posts are really worth my time if I won't be able to get much out of them anyway. Of course, I'm talking about posts in comments sections like on Youtube. If someone is talking to me one-on-one like that, then I'll make more of an effort to understand them.

Some people take that stuff waaaaaay too far. Once, I posted something talking about the color gray, and I made some note like, "grey/gray, either or." Y'know, cuz I alternate between spelling it with an e and an a often. Another user got really snarky with me and a couple of other people, I think even calling one person stupid. All because of what I said about it being spelled with an e or an a. e_e

KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote        
@Chu: The grey/gray thing is the difference between American and British spellings, so anyone telling you off for using one or the other or switching between the two is being an ass.

That said, onto the first post, while pushing beliefs onto someone is generally bad, I find myself hating those who can't use basic spelling and grammar...like capital letters. That's primary school stuff, should've been learned and memorised long before coming onto the internet. There is no excuse for not using it, to me, and not using basic grammar and spelling makes you come off as an idiot who can't be bothered to learn the basics for life, to me. Sorry, but that's how I feel about that sort. Considering I'm very touchy about those who really can't be bothered to go to school and learn the basics (the ones I've met, anyway), it really bugs me when I see signs of that all over the place, and lack of basic grammar is one of the biggest signs for me.

At least you're not using chat-speak/txt-speak. That's even worse, since not everyone knows what the hell you'd be talking about, and they's no more reason for such a thing. There isn't anything like as stringent a character limit on forum posts and text messages, so there's even less excuse for doing that than not using basic grammar.

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!
Which I'm good at spotting, apparently...
Peril

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote        
Years ago, I used to flip out every time I saw someone make a spelling or grammar error, but after a while I just stopped caring. Like, if I can understand what you mean, what difference does it really make? I still notice it passively because I remember all the rules, and I still adhere to them myself for the most part, but I see no reason to hold everyone else to that standard. The rules of spelling and grammar change all the time anyway, so in that sense, there is really no one "proper" way to write.

I personally don't think typing in all lowercase on the internet makes you look less intelligent, probably because I have seen a lot of intelligent people do it. I don't necessarily like your omission of apostrophes as I can imagine situations where it could cause confusion, but you're certainly entitled to that, and I won't think less of you for it.

Peril is also Zillah.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote        
I work the counter of a business that requires people to sign paperwork. It is my job to enter the signers name from the paperwork into the computer. I must have misunderstood the whole purpose of signatures. I always thought that you signed something to let others know who signed it. Apparently the real purpose of signatures is to see who can make the most incomprehensible blob of unrecognizable scribbles possible.

So yes I am one of those people who get annoyed at people who feel the need to personalize themselves beyond the point of recognition. If you are going to sign something then make it readable! I would hope people know how to spell their own name and you should have learned to make recognizable letters in third grade. If you do not want people to know who you are then just don't sign it.

As far as posting on the net just remember that the purpose is for other people to understand what you are saying. If nobody can understand what what you are trying to say then everyone's time is wasted. Even worse misunderstandings can occur which can hurt peoples feelings.

As far as art goes, that is purely personal. If people do not like your style then nobody is forcing them to look at it.
KaceyCat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:50 pm Reply with quote        
Strix, you'd hate my dad's signature, then...His handwriting, over time, has become horrendous. His signature just looks like an 'M' and a scribble. My mom's and my signatures, though, are legible. My little bro's? Eh. His handwriting's bad all over.

I must say, I'm one of those people who gets rather irritated by improper writing/typing. Yeah, I get it, typos happen, especially to me (My brain works faster than my hands) but when it's something ongoing, or the weird capitals thing that Chu mentioned...Ugh. Seriously. Read over what you say before you post it.

The funny thing is, my mom uses text-speak in her texts more than I do. I use proper capitalization, spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Even back when I had a flip-phone without a proper keyboard. And I'M the teenager in the family. And she's practically glued to her cell phone, while mine usually sits in my bag, with the battery not even in it.
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote        
I have to say, signatures being illegible is actually a good thing, since they're harder to forge. Mine and Mum's are our initials, but done in such scribbly ways and with lines through them afterwards that make the resulting signatures look an illegible mess. Outside of signatures, though, I agree that handwriting should be legible. Mine's kind of a loopy mess at worst, but still readable...just. But signatures shouldn't really be held to the same standards of legibility, since they're a means of identification.

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!
Which I'm good at spotting, apparently...
fickle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:19 pm Reply with quote        
chu, it's not bs, i find it disruptive also. i can read uppercase letters fine if theyre where i would expect them to be. i have to take more time looking at a word if theres a random shape in it. otherwise, id quickly glance over it to read it. maybe that's why i like lowercase letters more, /shrugs/ idk. Soft Smile i dont enjoy reading comments like that. i remember running into a lot of people like that on gaia. i read as much as i could and hoped that they wouldnt send me a friend request lol.

i can always count on yt comments to have someone telling another person how it is, dissing someone else, saying how much x sucks, having definitional arguments over a word, or distinguishing brostep from dubstep and that dubstep is better cos it was first. Laugh

kathira, having attended school doesnt mean that people ought to use capital letters when communicating casually. why must people be excused? why do they have to be even? why cant it just be. thats it, just let be. i dont like making demands, i dont like it when people make demands of me, i dont even want to demand a logical argument from anyone for typing a certain way in casual exchanges online. i want it to be known though, if you would like to share your ideas, i would like to hear them Happy maybe it whould shed some light on why people support the use of simple grammar rules, and why people moralize those who break that mold.

one thing i learned after using the internet is to not act as a teacher to those who dont need, or never asked for any advice, and to not set any expectations. in the event that i do, i'd be setting myself up for disappointment.

peril, ty for not thinking less of me ouo
i just want people to know what im saying when i say it's its, i'll ill, we'll well, their theyre, etc. i wouldnt not like if you think less of me for it. i wouldnt like it either, it's just you are also entitled to your own view. i only dislike it when people unreasonably demand things is all.

i put a lot of thought into what i type so it takes a long time to reply to everyone lol. IM COMING!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote        
strix, i want people to not be able to forge my signature. the more scribbly, the better Happy

i agree with what you said. i put a lot of effort into being understood online. i try to express myself the best way i can and hope people understand me the way i want to be understood. C: that's why it takes me a long time to reply to people because i am, hmm.. picky. lol yes, im picky.
i think misunderstandings online are inevitable and happen all too often, especially when it comes to tone. it's near impossible to accurately read someones tone. i'm pretty humble most of the time, but i dont know if people are reading that tone. often times our perception of the world is misguided by how we view things. for example, if someone stated "i like liquor" it could be viewed as a positive, or a negative thing. the assumption is dependent on the lenses we're looking through. like, your posts come across as serious to me even though that may not be your intent. i dont even make the assumption that you are being serious, it's just how they come across to me. someone could take offense at a serious tone. dont hate me, im innocent of any ill feelings towards you! Soft Smile not that even being serious is bad or good. it just is. hehe
but anyways, yes! i totally agree with you. being understood is key to good communication.

kaceycat, run on sentences bother me lol! they go on and im not sure how many points were made, if there were any at all. are you not a phone person? im not a phone person.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:41 am Reply with quote        
I just looked at some of the art you linked to Midorea. Geez fickle, someone was complaining about that? It is freakin impressive. I have to apologise,I was expecting a much more simplistic cartoony style. I do not know who was complaining about your style or what their qualifications are but remember that there are lots of people who don't like Rembrandt or Picasso also. Keep up the practicing. I like the feel of your style. Of course it is never a bad idea to practice different ideas and methods but definitely keep working on your own style also.

Cripes, there are some posts I really hope people do not take seriously. Especially in the fun and games section!

About the signature thing though, it a personal pet peeve. I won't try to argue it here but I would ask that if you purposely make it unreadable at least be kind enough to print your name nearby also. Just for a common courtesy for those who have to read it.
fickle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote        
thank you Happy i'm actually still experimenting with different styles. one day i'll have my very own.

lol, i didnt have those posts in mind when i was typing my last post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote        
Fickle, I'm most definitely not a phone person. I prefer my computer. Actually, I've got a desktop, a laptop, and a tablet. I rarely use the tablet, use the laptop only when I'm out-and-about, and use my desktop most of the time. Seriously, the easiest way to talk to me would probably be some sort of Internet-based system. And when I do use my phone? I don't like texting. I prefer talking. Which is odd, because I've got social anxiety and am incredibly shy. Mostly I'm just not a texting person. I do it only because it's faster than calling and sometimes I'm unable to call, but I try not to. If anything, I'm more of an e-mail person. Not even instant messaging, just e-mail. And if you seriously need to say something to me and I'm not responding on any of my technology? You'll track me down and talk to me in person or wait until I respond. That's all there is to it. And my friends know this about me. They know that if I'm not online, they'll have to come find me, since my phone doesn't usually have its battery in it. It turns itself on and pocket-dials a lot, so I have to keep it in my bag with the battery out of it. I only put the battery in it when I need to use it, so my phone's only on when I'm using it or expecting a call/text.
Nab Cachet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote        
i'm a really big fan of writing stream-of-consciousness style. but people tend to think i'm just trolling ;_; oh how i wish i could break free of modern syntax! *shakes fists to the sky*

all it usually boils down to is good old fashioned mammalian territory disputes. only now the territory is ideology. to force your values on somebody is basically to declare yourself dominant in some way. you an me baby aint nothing but mammals! Big Grin
fickle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote        
kaceycat, i prefer my computer too, i like typing mostly. i'm just starting to get my head around having to talk to people on the phone, my dad lives so far away and i think he types with two fingers LOL! emailing hasnt been working out. i'd like to speak on a regular basis with him, i miss him.
and i'm sorry for the very late response

nab cachet, heh! i type that way too, especially when i'm on skype since it's quicker. i don't think ive ever been accused of trolling.

yes, that makes sense, i think they were trying to find a way to feel better, or above me in some way by pointing out my "flaws." too bad it backfired on them lol!