Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Hall
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Pikmin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:24 am Reply with quote        
I'm sure everyone at some point in their life has been badgered for not watching/wearing/listening to something that is deemed popular or a "classic"...

Personally I've had people complain at me for not liking Star Wars, Doctor Who, Final Fantasy 7, Downton Abbey, and I've not watched a lot of "classic" films like The Godfather etc...

So what popular/classic things have you missed or just not liked? And have you ever had someone go on and on about them so much to you despite you saying you don't like them, that you end up blocking them on skype... Neutral

JOLLY COOPERATION!
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:09 pm Reply with quote        
Firstly, it's 'Doctor Who', and that show is totally awesome. I will say, I've personally only thought it bad to not like Doctor Who if you're a Brit, otherwise it doesn't matter. But really, if you get the chance, try any series of Doctor Who other than Christopher Eccelston's. It is a great show.

I own a lot of classic novels that I just don't want to read, and the fact that I have them is basically the people who got them for me badgering me to read them. I know exactly how you feel on that front, believe me. About the only 'classics' I'll read are certain Shakespeare plays, and only certain ones because some of them were crap. Never read Romeo and Juliet, it's dumb and idiotic and an all round bad play. One of his worst. And I had to do it for freaking school. *groan*

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!
Which I'm good at spotting, apparently...
Pikmin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:42 pm Reply with quote        
I am a Brit... And I'm not gonna change my mind on it lol. I will however fix my first post..

Unfortunately in school the Shakespeare play we had to do was Romeo and Juliet... I couldn't stand it, annoying, sappy, and we had to watch the crap film with Leonardo Di Caprio Neutral I actually started skiving lessons around then.

Only one of his I really liked was Macbeth, 'cos it's about people kinda losing their minds to guilt, all for the sake of power and a nagging wife. xD

JOLLY COOPERATION!
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote        
Hamlet's pretty good too, as is Midsummer Night's Dream. The latter's my favourite, comedy gold half the time. It's annoying that so many 'classics' are forced on us to try and teach us culture or make us like reading. It'd be better if they let us pick the books to read, ones we'd actually like and are quality, or avoided trying to say that classics are the best. They're not always.

And I also wish that an English Literature course in Britain studied English literature, not American. I hated Of Mice And Men...

WEREWOLVES!
Pikmin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:06 pm Reply with quote        
Macbeth and Romeo and Juliet are the only ones I've actually read, the former being in my second school and the latter my third school (which was the one I skived..), Macbeth I enjoyed so much I read ahead of the rest of the class lol - Perhaps I should try Hamlet and Midsummer Night's Dream, I love reading..

But yeah, just because something is a "classic"... It really doesn't mean you're going to enjoy it more, or it's better than *insert name of whatever author you like here* because opinions will always diff... I lost track halfway through that sentence, I think I had a point.

I definitely agree that they should let you pick the books though, I mean I know for a fact I would have done a lot better in English if I got to pick something I didn't hate, like a Terry Pratchett.

I also agree with the American thing... I mean no offence to America obviously but this is England, and yet we seem to absorb a lot of American stuff, to the point that a lot of people use American words without even knowing it.
I make a point at least of saying Leftenant instead of Lieutenant but that's just me being pedantic..

JOLLY COOPERATION!
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:44 pm Reply with quote        
I'm the same, actually! I insist on retaining my Britishisms in the face of the American takeover. And it's coming in handy now that I'm in Canada: Dad's keeping his British accent, and since it's RP, a few rules were dodged on his behalf so he has had an easier time getting a footing here. That'll definately come in handy for me later on down the line.

I personally would've liked to do a Pratchett for my lit class. I mean, we had to study it to answer questions on the meaning of the story and how certain elements conveyed the books meaning. A Pratchett would've been fine for that, since a lot of his books do try and impart some message: Men At Arms about guns, Snuff about racism, Hogfather about believing the little lies to keep justice and mercy alive, Equal Rites about gender equality, he's down a lot. But, sadly, the governments curriculum insists on a set list of novels to use for the exam. Which is bullshit, frankly, it doesn't have to be a 'classic' to fulfill the criteria.

WEREWOLVES!
Weaseldale

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:11 pm Reply with quote        
I can't enjoy Romeo and juliet because people make such a big deal about it being a ~love story~ when it's about a huge fued between two families that results in the murdersuicide of two dumb kids...

I would love if schools gave kids more freedom with what they read, especially more modern stuff... I think there was only one book in highschool I hade to read published in the past 10 years.

There are lots of classic movies I haven't seen, and it's not even that I don't like them, just haven't seen 'em. People who give you shit for that are annoying. As for popular things... Not the biggest fan of pop music today.

Uni has swallowed me whole, in more ways than one, sorry guys. Feel free to PM any questions (or nonquestions {or anything else, no limits here}) you have, although I don't know when I'll get to them since I'm barely on atm.
Pikmin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:27 pm Reply with quote        
Me neither lol, I go to an art class on Mondays and sometimes music comes up and they're all talking about... I dunno, One Dilution, Justin Dumbass, Olly Bores...

I also don't know why certain "celebrities" are popular, like Peter Andre.. He's famous for being dumb and having that dopey smile on his face.. Even Holly Willoughby, everyone loves her but she doesn't really have any substance.. She's more like a pretty face that got lucky.
I guess it kinda annoys me these days that people don't get praised for skill, intelligence, or achievement.

While I'm ranting about that, anyone else got a celebrity they really can't stand / have no idea why they're famous?

Karitha knows many Pratchett books... I'm happy now c:
They're pretty much all I have on my Kindle, and yes they do always seem to have a serious message in amongst the fantasy.
Never did decide on a favourite, though I tended to like the ones with Sam Vimes / Ankh Morpork the most.

JOLLY COOPERATION!
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:58 pm Reply with quote        
I have a ton of Discworld books, only missing a few. I have: Colour of Magic, Light Fantastic, Equal Rites, Mort, Sourcery, Wyrd Sisters, Pyramids, Eric, Moving Pictures, Reaper Man, Witches Abroad, Small Gods, Lords and Ladies, Men at Arms, Soul Music, Interesting Times, Maskerade, Feet of Clay, Hogfather, Carpe Jugulum, The Truth, Thief of Time, Last Hero, Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, Night Watch, Wee Free Men, Monstrous Regiment, Hat Full of Sky, Going Postal, Wintersmith, Making Money, Unseen Academicals, I Shall Wear Midnight, Snuff, and a couple of companion books. We used to have Thud, but I think Mum loaned it to a friend and forget that that copy was ours. Shame, it's my favourite. We sadly don't have all the books, and are missing mostly Watch novels and companion books, but it's still quite the collection. Incidently, the Tiffany Aching ones are genuinly mine, the rest are all my parents. Not that that's a bad thing, I still get to read 'em...

Also, if you also hate Justin Beiber, there's this one episode of CSI you really should watch...*gleeful grin*

WEREWOLVES!
Pikmin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:08 pm Reply with quote        
I believe I used to have all of them, but then when we were moving house for like the millionth time we gave a load of boxes away to charity, and my books were unwittingly mixed up with them.. At least someone else will have hopefully enjoyed them.

That's how I ended up with my Kindle, though my collection isn't complete anymore.. I agree though, I love Thud, especially right near the ending...

Is that my cow?
IT GOES NEIGH!
IT IS A HORSE!
THAT'S. NOT. MY. COW!

... It seems like I enjoy insanity a lot..

Bieber on CSI... As long as he's the victim this sounds like a flawless plotline.

JOLLY COOPERATION!
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote        
Vimes is just the king of awesome.

Well, maybe not king, knowing how he feels about kings...

Beibers not the victim, but you will still enjoy that episode. Or maybe just the best bit at the end.

WEREWOLVES!
Juneberry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:11 pm Reply with quote        
Jumping off of your list of examples, I've definitely met with the star wars issue. I'm not really big on anything on the list besides Doctor Who (which I'm not obsessive over). But I admit I've often gotten criticized for not liking Grand Theft Auto. And before I started playing Oblivion, Elder Scrolls wasn't really an interest for me...

I think for me the main thing that this type of thing happens with for me is music and anime. I really don't listen to the radio except if it's just on in the medical transport I'm on that day, and I'm just not that big on most American music or things that are in English. Most of what I listen to is anime music, other Japanese pop and rock, russian and italian stuff. And the bands originating in English that I do like are always the ones no one's heard of xD As for anime...I tend not to really have an interest in the mainstream stuff. You won't be able to get me to watch Naruto or Bleach almost ever, never even tried Attack on Titan, etc.

Though I'll admit even I tried the legendary swimming anime.

OH. And I've never read any of the really popular YA books. And the one I did read, I hated. Seriously. I am SO glad the whole "Team Jacob/Team Edward" thing finally isn't a regular part of life. I almost wanted to throw my teacher off a cliff for trying to force me into it >w<

KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote        
Twilight's not a good series. Anyone who does try to force anyone into it really does need tossing off a cliff. Pratchett's YA novels are good, though, although they may be meant for kids a little younger since the bricks of innocence of childhood are made of bloody murder and some downright creepy stuff. Read 'The Amazing Maurice', honestly.

WEREWOLVES!
Juneberry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote        
I think the sad part was it was my ENGLISH TEACHER pushing that stuff. She lent me the first book, and halfway through I wanted to shoot something. No offense to the writer or people who actually like it. But...The characters are soooo boring.

That aside, I think anyone who pushes their interests on you as if it's the law you like it are sorta silly. I mean, we all have opinions. And as I've heard said before...Opinions are like butt holes (because I'm trying to be a wee bit more polite in my wording). We all have them, and they all stink. xD

fickle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:38 pm Reply with quote        
i've actually never been. everyone that i know or grew up with knew that i wasnt into what theyre into, they just accepted that that's how i was.

though, i've met someone online who criticized me, claimed i was a "hipster" cos of the music i listen to. idk what he meant by that, and honestly, i dont think he knew either. he assumed that i purposely liked less known things because i had something against popular things. he took on the tone that he thought he was better than me because he didnt do what he assumed in me. he never said how he defined hipster when i asked what he meant by that.

anyways, i like the doors, nicki minaj, and madonna. i also like lali puna, wisp, and clark.

oh, i guess people would give me a hard time for liking nicki minaj. Roll Eyes hasnt happened yet.

edit: lol, i watched a movie called the host. i thought the writing and the directing was awful, laugh worthy. i give credit to the cast though, i could tell they did their best with a badly written film. i found out it was written by the same person who wrote twilight.