Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The University
neomattlac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote        
Do you believe in destiny or fate?
Like how, no matter what path you take, you will end up in the same place?
What about karma(good actions leading to good events) or just knowing when something is right?

I think I started believing in destiny when I was really young. I think that it can sometimes be felt, and sometimes it gets you out of the blue.
For me, I know when something is right. Other times, I feel like it's wrong, and I find that it actually is right. Though, it's those events that lead me to learning the most about life, and about myself. I have also realized that we can learn these things ahead of time, as our ancestors have already done some of this thinking for us. Just ask your parents, or any one older than you. I thought it was only me who had thought about a lot of things, but it turned out my dad has already thought much of my plans through.

Zillah

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote        
I don't believe in destiny. I guess I'm too attached to my free will to even consider that everything could be laid out already. Also it would kind of render statistics useless, and that would make me a little sad.

I wish karma were real. I would love for people to have a natural incentive to do good. Unfortunately, we don't. Altruistic people aren't always rewarded for their kindness, and the bad guys don't always get what's coming to them. This unfairness is probably why some religions have invented two distinct afterlives - heaven and hell - one for good people and one for bad.
neomattlac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote        
Well, there is a correlation between happiness and generosity, and a connection between success and happiness.

killerkitty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote        
I'm not really sure about my beliefs about destiny. I think that we all have free will to choose what we want to do, but what if whatever you choose IS your destiny? You can always change your mind about what you want in life, but then there's all the factors that are out of your control. Are they part of your destiny? I can't really say. I think I do believe, though.

As for Karma, I believe in rebirth, and I believe that whatever good you do in the world comes back to you, though not necessarily in this lifetime, and not necessarily in the same way.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote        
Hard thing to discuss.

If you believe in it, I think it's something very pretty to believe in ~
As for me, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.
I am truly a dreamer, so believing in destiny suits me and I usually do.
But a lot of times, even though I am a good person, a lot of bad things happen to me so I stop feeling this sense of purpose.

All in all, don't take it too seriously, but if you believe in it, be happy, since it's a beautiful thing to believe in.
Juneberry

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote        
I believe everything happens for a reason, but I don't know if I consider it fate based. I do believe there's some leniency and free will, and we do mold our own paths...But I believe we all have a specific reason for being born. Whether we reach it, or whether the world's plan goes as it hopes, is another story.

I do, however, believe strongly in 'kina hora'. It's an old Yiddish term regarding envy, but many people (at least in my family) have slightly altered its meaning over the years. While it generally means 'evil eye', involving that envy can lead to bad things, many nowadays use it just to point out that when you think negatively, you can create a predisposed fate. A sort of jynx, if you will, or a self-inflicted ill. It's hard to really explain, but...Basically, be careful what you say, because it can be your downfall?

...But I'd definitely say there'd some sort of general 'fate' for everything. Again, everything is meant to happen...But how it will play out the future can change depending on reactions and such.

Owl Infestation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:40 am Reply with quote        
I don't really believe in anything like that. If there was fate or destiny or karma etc. there would have to be a higher power and I just don't believe that there is a higher power.
You make your choices in life and whether those choices come with consequences or not depends on the people around you and what they think about those choices.
I mean, without people in your life you wouldn't feel guilt. But, guilt comes along with caring. So, I guess it's worth it.
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:29 am Reply with quote        
My personal observations and interpretations:

In three dimensional space we have gravity which pulls things 'down' (Using down as a generic term). However gravity is lazy. Unless some outside force in involved, It will usually try to pull things down by the path of least resistance. A river will flow and carve it's winding bed down hill because that is the easiest way for gravity to pull the water down. The rivers will usually stay in that river bed because that is the easiest route to follow. Anything floating in the river will follow the water because that is the simplest way to go. We know that if it has been raining a lot upriver, the water level down river will increase because we know what route all that extra water will take.

Time has a similar force. Entropy. Entropy pulls things along the path of least temporal resistance. Entropy is just as trackable as gravity. We know that unless there is some major outside influence, we are all fated to get old and wear out. Just as there are many factors for nature to determine what path a river will take, there are also many factors for determining what future course our lives will take. If you can figure what factors will effect your personal life, you could theoretically plot out the future riverbed of your life. That riverbed can also be called your destiny.

But as KillerKitty and Juneberry mentioned, freewill is a factor. Just as we have some ability to fight or effect gravity, we can also fight or effect entropy and thus possibly modify our destiny. The problem is that the further away you want to get from the path of entropic least resistance, the harder you have to work at it. and the less likely the change will be permenant. Your destiny might not care if you live in the city or country or what specific job you have but there will always be certain things in your personal life which will be very difficult to avoid. Like physical death, These things are often just 'a matter of time'.
fickle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote        
FATE

are our lives (the choices we make) predetermined? are our lives already written out like a book?
lets say that fate is true, than our lives would be coerced to move forward a certain way, thus choices are an illusion (not real).

i ate a brownie earlier today. i ate it because i like brownies, i know i like them because i've eaten one at some point earlier in my childhood (most likely a .25 cent brownie from the corner store). that experience from my past didnt coerce to choose to eat a brownie earlier today, though it was a motivational factor (by nature) into my liking of brownies. so:

external experience + your motives = your choices

so, i would say that your motives for acting on current external forces now are determined by your past experiences, but the choices you make are not predetermined by your past experiences.

i'll explain it a little differently. ashley lives with her parents at a projects somewhere in NYC. her parents are poor, everyone around her is poor. she is experiencing being poor, will this coerce her to also being poor? no, in fact this experience is a motivational factor for wanting to escape this shituation. ashley is an autonomous being, she governs herself accordingly, including, and regardless of her external factors.

if something feels not right to you, it's because youre not motivated, by your nature, to go in that direction.

karma, it doesnt come back at you like a boomerang. it has to do with the way you carry yourself and the effects that has on the environment around you.

the way i've come to understand karma, it's more like a dynamic chain of bad or good energy (your mood). if your mood is angry, you might do something that would upset someone, then that person will become angry, they will then upset another person/people, and so on.

like, a kid at school pushed someone off the swing> the school contacts his mom, shes asked to come to school> infuriated, she drives aggressively, pisses off several people on the road> those pissed off people also carry on this chain of bad energy.

it's like a drop in the water, see how it effects your environment?

naturally though, if someone has a bad mood around people they know, and those people carry on this mood, since you are part of those peoples environment, that bad energy could come back to you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:40 pm Reply with quote        
I've seen a lot of stuff in the past year that's changed a little bit of what I think. I think that karma exists, but it follows what fickle just said. It affects those around you and then it helps you.
I still believe that fate exists, that certain things are "right." However, I've seen enough things that prove that you can choose your fate. So, your fate is determined by you.

Mock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote        
Strix Varia wrote:
My personal observations and interpretations:

In three dimensional space we have gravity which pulls things 'down' (Using down as a generic term). However gravity is lazy. Unless some outside force in involved, It will usually try to pull things down by the path of least resistance. A river will flow and carve it's winding bed down hill because that is the easiest way for gravity to pull the water down. The rivers will usually stay in that river bed because that is the easiest route to follow. Anything floating in the river will follow the water because that is the simplest way to go. We know that if it has been raining a lot upriver, the water level down river will increase because we know what route all that extra water will take.

Time has a similar force. Entropy. Entropy pulls things along the path of least temporal resistance. Entropy is just as trackable as gravity. We know that unless there is some major outside influence, we are all fated to get old and wear out. Just as there are many factors for nature to determine what path a river will take, there are also many factors for determining what future course our lives will take. If you can figure what factors will effect your personal life, you could theoretically plot out the future riverbed of your life. That riverbed can also be called your destiny.

But as KillerKitty and Juneberry mentioned, freewill is a factor. Just as we have some ability to fight or effect gravity, we can also fight or effect entropy and thus possibly modify our destiny. The problem is that the further away you want to get from the path of entropic least resistance, the harder you have to work at it. and the less likely the change will be permenant. Your destiny might not care if you live in the city or country or what specific job you have but there will always be certain things in your personal life which will be very difficult to avoid. Like physical death, These things are often just 'a matter of time'.

This is exactly what I believe! Coming from a scientific background, I find it logical that history always remains the same, regardless of time travel or precognition. True, free will is a factor, but the processes leading to a particular decision are determined by your personality, your memories, and the situation at hand. In this way, causation can mapped out like the Butterfly Effect, right from the initial conditions of the universe. As for time travel, I believe in the version shown in Harry Potter 3 (I can't seem to articulate this, so I hope you all know what I mean).

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote        
The term for the version of time travel as used in Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban is called a stable time loop, for your information. It is also the most likely way time travel will work, at least from my perspective.

I don't believe in fate or destiny, at all. What there is is a series of possibilities, and it is more likely that someone from a criminal background is going to be a criminal. But that's not the same as being fated to be so, the future as yet is undetermined. All predictions are either very wise dodgings of giving an actual answer or the most likely thing to happen given all relevent data and variables. That's how the weather is predicted, and it's how I believe life to be. There is always a chance, even a small one, that what's predicted will not happen. There is always a million-to-one chance, you just have to hope you get it.
Mock

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:15 pm Reply with quote        
KathiraNarae wrote:
The term for the version of time travel as used in Harry Potter: Prisoner of Azkaban is called a stable time loop, for your information. It is also the most likely way time travel will work, at least from my perspective.

I don't believe in fate or destiny, at all. What there is is a series of possibilities, and it is more likely that someone from a criminal background is going to be a criminal. But that's not the same as being fated to be so, the future as yet is undetermined. All predictions are either very wise dodgings of giving an actual answer or the most likely thing to happen given all relevent data and variables. That's how the weather is predicted, and it's how I believe life to be. There is always a chance, even a small one, that what's predicted will not happen. There is always a million-to-one chance, you just have to hope you get it.

Stable Time Loops, thanks!

Of course, you're right in that any predictions we make are going to be mostly inaccurate. That's because we never know all the information necessary for a 100% accurate prediction. If there was some magnificently intelligent being that knew everything that has ever happened since the beginning of time, that being would theoretically be able to surmise everything that will ever happen until the end. Of course, a being of such knowledge and computational power would have to be from another universe, more complicated than ours, but that's another story.

Be a villager in a mob as you try to defend your home from
WEREWOLVES!