Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Writing Chat
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:19 pm Reply with quote        
I always get really pissed when a favorite character of mine dies or ends up in a relationship that I don't agree with. In fact, sometimes I'll give up on the series entirely. But, the more I think about it, and the angrier I get, the more I appreciate that this writer has the balls to do things that their fans may not agree with. I hate fan service - it creates the worst books, movies, anime and so on.

When a writer (and yes, I'm not confining this to literature) decides to go in a totally different direction than you think, it can go one of two ways: One is the most common, where the character's actions make no sense at all and it destroys the story. The other is the most pleasing, though controversial. Things shot off in a completely unexpected direction, but somehow, it feels right. The more you think about it, it feels... realistic. You could imagine someone making those choices in real life. You can see where they're coming from.

Am I the only one who thinks this? O: Most people that I talk to make it seem like this type of thing is totally unacceptable, but characters have to retain some amount of realism. People make mistakes, and characters should too. Those mistakes shouldn't be solvable in just a few chapters (episodes, minutes, etc.) either. At best, they may never be solved, and the character has to deal with it. That's what makes an intriguing story to me. I may leave the series completely for a while, but that just means that I got that much more attached to the character. I'll likely return if it's any good.

Tsemara

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote        
I will admit that I get extremely pissed or depressed when as character I have grown attatched to gets killed off. However, if this can be justified by the end of the book, (or the series, depending) I'll be alright with it. For the most part, anyway. I still dislike the fact that the character I liked didn't make it.

Same with seemingly out of character choices. I've seen a character do several things that didn't fit their character type, and have the writer change something in the middle of a story, because they were inspired by something. There was no rhyme or reasoning behind it. It was just changed. Needless to say I was extremely perturbed by this, and didn't bother to read the rest of the story.

Malverne wrote:
Hang on...you went to attack a coyote...with a KATANA?! Dude, that's so badass.
Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote        
Out of character decisions kill me, but as long as I can justify I (I'm the type to leave justification and meaning on the reader rather than the writer) then I'm okay. I like to think that the writer does everything for a reason, but that's most likely not the case.

ecco

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:47 pm Reply with quote        
Someone: OMG, IM NOT READING THE REST OF HARRY POTTER COS DUMBLEDORE DIED.

Me: he's not your character. Stop whining and deal with it.

.......this about sums up my feelings on the subject.
if its out of character, thats different, but if its realistically a possibility and fans are just getting pissy cos they dont like it, i just think tough luck. its not your story. and plus, accidents happen. sometimes people die like that. so why shouldnt that also happen in fiction?

Athilea Majiri

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote        
I think that it is best when writers do things like this. It makes the characters more believable, and makes the story more meaningful. Of course, I am an amateur writer so I suppose that it's to be expected I would side with the authors of the world on this.
Aileen Lightbearer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote        
I really do hate it when an author makes you really like a character then kills them off/makes them turn traitor/etc. Mad

I love to read-- and write-- stories that make sense, so out-of-character descions are a definite NO. And I will stand by that whatever you throw at me as an excuse to do something like this-- there is no excuse.

I don't have to like jerk writers-- in fact, I don't! I hate jerk writers.
Kimi_Delaetus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote        
I'm not extremely fond of jerk writers...but the fact that they are able to get you attached to a character and make you feel something about their death makes me have to respect them as a writer, even though I'm not fond of charrie death.

For instance, in HP...Dumbledore.
There was, as far as I can tell, a reason for that.
There's no way Harry could've really gone head to head or face to face with Voldemort so long as Dumbledore was around to protect/shield/rescue him. Thus, he had to go--beloved character or not.

I will take your breath away
...and kill threads.

Kupsy wrote:
I'm vegetarian, I'd be a crap zombie.
Fear the wrath of the vegetarian zombie!! It will invade your vegetable gardens and turn all the cabbages into zombie vegetables! >:o
superbinka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:12 am Reply with quote        
I tend to add unnecessary character death to an existing list of crimes if I already dislike the writer/writing, but I can usually forgive it if I was otherwise enjoying the book.