Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Writing Chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Juneberry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:52 pm Reply with quote        
I haven't tried using people I know most of the time as sources for names, though I did use my dad's name once without even thinking about it for one of my bad guys. That's a neat way to work with them.

And Kimi, oooh do I know your pain. I have a hard time changing names once I've chosen them, so if I hate it later, I just sit there groaning a lot. Also, you use the same sources as me <3

I like mixing names, but mostly I use random words from various languages based on translations to fit what I want, then mold them together somehow. But sometimes I go based on the general background I want for them. Or I just make them completely random for some reason. My first pair of siblings were Sayaku and Flutter, and they have cousins that are twins named Mayura and Yorie.

I purposely made Mayura's name that way though. Because she's similar to another character I have named Maya, and I purposely did it so Mayu and Maya getting confused could be a comic relief. Not that it really has happened at all yet...

Sameth_Delaetus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:53 pm Reply with quote        
The worst part is when you really, really, really like a name.
And then you forget you've used it.
So you end up with two charries who have the same name DX
And then you sit there and cry because you hate changing names and you know if you change the name of one, you'll either forget the charrie or not remember their new name and use their old one anyway.

...thattotallyhasn'thappenedtomewhatareyoutalkingabout...

(Oops. Sorry. Hai. This is Kimi's mule XD)

Touch me with your love
And reveal to me my true name

(Will assassinate someone for an Huo Draconem Svarde, Adult Dragon Wings Ice Adult Dragon Wings Fire Happy )
Juneberry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote        
That's happened to me before! D: Hrm, if I could remember who they were now...Blargh I can't remember ;-; But it's happened to me a couple of times. The character's name comes up and I'm like "oh crud I already have one. This is bad."

Usually when that happens, I don't bother to change it. I just use initials to keep it clear or something. Well, unless their last names have the same initial or something. Then I'm dead.

Kimi_Delaetus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:58 pm Reply with quote        
I had two charries named Kurai. One was male, had no last name, had a younger sister and was some sort of a demon-prince thing. One was female, had a last name, aaaand had killed her entire family. On accident. At the age of three.

...it was middle school, okay? DX

And "Clarissa" and "Claire" are pretty close, too. Not quite the same, but definitely close...which sucks, cuz I like both.

Hm...I'm pretty sure there was at least one other instance...grah. Can't recall off the top of my head though. Either way, drives me absolutely batty. Which is why I hate making characters up when I have no access to a naming website. Especially since they end up being "hey you" until I get a chance to check one out...and when I'm coming up with their entire back story, including family/friends, they all end up as "hey-you"s too. Which gets so confusing DX

I will take your breath away
...and kill threads.

Kupsy wrote:
I'm vegetarian, I'd be a crap zombie.
Fear the wrath of the vegetarian zombie!! It will invade your vegetable gardens and turn all the cabbages into zombie vegetables! >:o
Strix Varia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:05 pm Reply with quote        
I used to run D&D (the paper and dice syle) and one of my biggest annoyances was when a player would ask the name of some random NPC. I had a list of fantasy sounding names I would fall back on but they all started getting overused after a while. Then I bought a book of "Names for your new baby" which had thousands of names and their meanings.

I thought I won the name game until we started dealing with tinker gnomes. According to the books we were using the common tinker gnome used names that would fill half a page. The names were supposed to get longer as the gnomes got more important. I think that is when I gave up game mastering.
stazzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:09 pm Reply with quote        
Sometimes when I have no access to name sites it actually helps me be more creative and resourceful! Like, if I can't just say "What's a name that means evil" I tend to go with names that sound evil, or have evil connotations for most people.
Maybe it's just me, but I also find that girls are better with longer names (ie Anastasia, Penelope, Rosemary, etc.). Perhaps that's because shorter ones are more common and I want my female characters to stand out.
Anyway that's what I do to help with character naming, also using shortened words with an 'ia' makes for good female names. Soft Smile
Juneberry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote        
I do that sometimes too, Stazzy. And I actually do quite like long names sometimes for girls...Though most of mine don't actually have any long names. I think one of my longest names is Farlana for a woman. But I use some really strange names sometimes, so they stand out anyway. Sometimes, using normal words can make for neat names. My first character's name was Flutter.

superbinka

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote        
For fantasy or sci fi stuff, making up names can work really well. You don't have to worry about meanings, and the feel of the name can be whatever you want. For more "now" names, I tend to flick through a baby names book and pick something I think fits. I focus more on the sound of the name than the meaning, but it's nice to know what it means too.