Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / City Square
KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:43 am Reply with quote        
So, I went for a looksy around the University section of the forums, and so many of those topics are flame bait. Discuaaions on eduucation systems, homosexuality, violence in the media; topics that should have had the participents going for each other's throats. Yet, there's not a single flame war. Do you all just stick to the rules that rigidly, or are you all a close-knit community of the nicer parts of humanity? So much niceness and friendship, this ought to be My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic's Equestria, you're all so friendly...
Sly
Coordinator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote        
While we do tend to stick to the rules, there's really never been any need to enforce the one about no flaming. At least in my experience, that's the case and I've been here for nearly three years. We are extremely close-knit here, at least as compared with other sites I've been on; and we are, in general, friendly and courteous to one another. Even when topics that can be considered controversial are discussed, members here tend to be respectful in their discussions. If someone disagrees with someone else's opinion it is usually handled in a polite way. On the rare occasion that a particular member is rude or discourteous to another, the other users generally won't stand for it. So, like I said: we're both friendly and close here, so generally there isn't any flaming. Soft Smile
Sharm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:06 am Reply with quote        
I've been really impressed with it too. I've never seen a community so open minded and so willing to take a deep breath before writing a reply. I really love it.
lexi luthor
Coordinator
Coordinator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote        
Like Sly said, we are really close knit and we care about each other's feelings and opinions. We are also really open-armed and accepting to new members, so I guess it just becomes one big circle of looove :U

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:29 pm Reply with quote        
I've been in a few discussions that made me angry here, but usually I'd just walk away. If someone says something that I don't like - but they have no malicious intent - then I try my best to at least respect them. I think that most of our members think the same way. There have only been a few times where I had to step in and break up an argument, and I've been here for five years.

And Sly brought up a good point. Our members aren't usually the type to sit by and watch an argument. Typically, they'll try to step in and do something, even if it's just re-directing the subject.

KathiraNarae

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:33 pm Reply with quote        
This is the internet. The fact that there is this place as a bastion of politeness, kindness and tolerance in a Great Big Circle of Love is impressive. How long before the trolls show up, eh? I kid, I kid. But it's refreshing to see, since most forums have a policy of avoiding flame bait topics entirely so flame wars don't occur, but this one just doesn't need that.
lexi luthor
Coordinator
Coordinator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:49 pm Reply with quote        
Well if we have avoided or scared off the flamers we had so far over the years (Which Midorea has been around for quite a while) Then i don't think we need to worry about them ever nesting on our site XD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:17 pm Reply with quote        
It's most likely because Midorea is a smaller community too - I mean I'm sure I'm not the only person out there who's noticed the direct relationship between the mass of people and the douchyness of people.

MMOs are always my best example - I've played on smaller ones and they tend to be pretty sweet, people want to help each-other out and they get really nice communities..
Then you try a bigger one. Ask a question as a newb:
OMG HOW CAN U NOT NO DAT??22
OMGLOLOLOLFINNOOB

etc...

tl;dr - I <3 Midorea. I've played and quit many mmos (or they've closed :c) but I always come back here.
-hugs everyone-
PEACE AND LOVE!

JOLLY COOPERATION!
Juneberry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote        
I've seen the relation between size and interaction of a community, but I've also seen its inverse. I've been on very small sites where no one can get along really, and I've been on big games where everyone is really friendly and it's hard to believe. I think that everyone here on Midorea is so polite may just be a lucky fact about the wonderful people here. Even if we talk about controversial issues, everyone takes care with what they explain and disagreements are allowed by everyone as simply what they are. To me, it's a rather wonderful thing to see. I must admit, I think it's a special part of what makes Midorea the wonderful place it is! <3

Chu
Assistant Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:57 pm Reply with quote        
Yeah, I really can't attribute our openness strictly to the fact that we're small. There are plenty of small communities out there that are totally closed off to outsiders/newcomers, and flame wars easily come up out of those.

Strix Varia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote        
I have posted in a few university threads. I tend to feel guilty if I seem to scare away any opposing lines of thought. I know I come on strong but I really do not want to kill debate.