Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Art Chat
Alyssia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote        
Love it?
Hate it?
Do you think it really has a place in the world of art at all?
Where does it belong?
Where doesn't it belong?

Personally I rather like it, when its developed into something better looking than some obscure tag of public property~
Does it have a place in the world of art? I think so....that famous...or maybe infamous photo for Obama's hope picture began as graffiti~

And in some cases graffiti artists have gained popularity as well as acceptance in the more traditional world of art.

To me where it belongs, well I would have to say where masses can admire it and it not encroach on someone's quality of life. Hard to understand I know, but at the moment its the best I can come up with.

Really has no place on someones house, or car, unless they paid/requested that it be put there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:34 pm Reply with quote        
To be perfectly honest, I'm not all that keen on seeing grafitti. Hereabouts, if one sees grafitti or some other sort of tagging, it usually means one of two things. One, the neighborhood has some punk that just likes making a mess for the people that live there. Or two, the gangs are re-establishing/expanding their territories.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have seen grafitti that could be counted as pretty awesome artwork. Should the artist decide to use a different medium than walls in the middle of nowhere, they could be very successful at life.

But the majority of what I've seen was blatant disregard for other peoples' property. There used to be murals on the sides of the freeways, comemorating big events. Just a day after they were finished, before they could put a sealant on them, punks came along and COVERED the entire painting in gang signs, swear words, and other disrespectful items.

Where does it belong? Beats me. But it certainly doesn't belong where I've been seeing it.

Malverne wrote:
Hang on...you went to attack a coyote...with a KATANA?! Dude, that's so badass.
Syd-Cymbaline

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:36 pm Reply with quote        
I have seen some awesome Graffiti near my elementary school on an abandoned building. It was pretty cool and unique.

However, I prefer if there was not Graffiti near me, because I agree on what Tsemara says. Most likely, graffiti is derived from a rebellious youth or group that wants attention but they're not getting the attention the right way. In this way, tagging or graffiti will most likely become an eye-sore for the public.

And also graffiti is most likely linked in everyone's minds with gangs and such that will cause them to become very uncomfortable and have a feeling of unsafe towards the strangers around them.

And that is my view upon graffiti... XP

Misa:"I can't imagine a world without Light!"
L: "Yes, that would be dark."

"Ramoraparu did you steal my kills? I BELIEVE YOU DID!"
~Nobunaga (Travis - 4playerpodcast)
Dollottie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:30 pm Reply with quote        
I think, like others have said, that graffiti as an art form depends entirely on location and meaning. A penis spray painted on a school wall isn't the same as 'peace' done under an over pass.

I'm all for public art though, and I think anything that isn't obscene is better than some of the plain stone out there. I think it's use in gang tagging and whatnot is ridiculous. I mean, that's just not art.

It would be cool if there was more of a push for artists to paint ugly buildings with neat art, graffiti or not, public art is always neat.
Crow

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:55 pm Reply with quote        
I really love graffiti, and not just as a typographer.
Street art, its creativity and honesty, is inspiring.
It's one of the things that made me fall for art.
I love seeing it in tunnels or on building walls.
Whether it is illegal, or sanctioned mural art.
And there is a rich history of political activism.
Illegal graffiti artists risk a lot to share ideas.
They deserve a lot of respect for their work.
It bothers me when people don't give any.
I'm not talking about gang tags on stop signs.
It's the city block collaborations that I adore.
I really wish it were not an offense to beautify.
But then there would be environmental abuse.
At the very least, mural laws need to slacken.

Reika

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:12 pm Reply with quote        
I believe graffiti has a place in the art world as it is visual expression, but only once it's progressed further than just a tag. Any tagging I would say no, because a lot of it is just about claiming territory. Throw ups... well, it depends how far they go, right? Some of them are just like big ugly enlarged tags. But really when it becomes more of a piece, that's where it gets interesting. I love seeing pieces in and around the city, like blurbs of thought pasted on flat, boring walls.
graffiti Murals.. by god, as long as it isn't put over someone's storefront in an attempt to sabotage it, they bring life to dead streets. I can't imagine how long that would take to make one, and the artist would have been trying to not be seen for a long time.
So, yes, graffiti is art, but tagging is not.
But I'm also conflicted with the permanence of graffiti paint. It can be painted over, but that takes money and time... I think it would be great if some buildings would provide a nice big blank stretch of wall, write "paint me" on it or something to that effect, and let the artists have at it.

I do not think graffiti should be made legal. And I do believe even the graffiti artist may agree on that because it's part of what graffiti is. If it wasn't illegal, I don't think the type of expression would be the same.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:31 am Reply with quote        
I'm all for graffiti art. Anything art related has a place in this world. I hate tags, they look ugly, and as someone already said, it's just claiming territory, there's no point in it. I love street art, because I know I'd be afraid to do it. The time and effort it takes for people to make the masterpieces displayed on these builds are beyond me. I'm an artist, but I'd be way too cautious and scared of messing up if I started. You gotta have a lot of guts for street art, I respect that.
ecco

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote        
I'm pretty much with you, zenphor Smile except that there are some tags I rather like.. ones that are done well. When I visited Paris when i was 13, i saw the same graffiti a couple times of a Cheshire Cat. It was really well done, and also done in incredibely hard to reach places, and HUGE on the side of one building i saw it on - so I rather enjoyed that one..

my home city, Portsmouth, actually has this wall next to a very busy road that is covered in graffiti art - but it's obviously intentional that the council wanted it to be there, since there are almost "panels" all done by different people, totally different styles and content, but they're all great. it's nice that they're there because that's one of the roads you can end up stuck in traffic on sometimes, so it gives you something to look at while you're waiting lol ^^

sinderlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote        
I have mixed views on graffiti, as well. I don't consider the cool art people sometimes do graffiti so much as street-art, and I'd never consider tagging an art form. If the graffiti is clever enough, and not plainly vulgar, I think it's more cute than disruptive. Where I live there's just enough graffiti that you realize gangs do inhabit the area, but not enough that any cool street artists have emerged. It makes me feel a little uncomfortable, and I know I wouldn't want somebody defacing my property.
So, in short, if it's done in a respectable, artsy way, I don't see anything wrong with it. Otherwise it's a nuisance.
superbinka

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:48 am Reply with quote        
I hate graffiti, it looks awful and makes an area seem less friendly. Tagging is stupid, find a better way to make your mark on the world. However, I love street art, stencilling and the like.