Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Storybook
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Juneberry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote        
Welcome to June's Monthly Theme! This is a contest for writers, no matter what it is you write. All you have to do is write a story that fits the theme or topic. Besides the theme, you have full reign of what you do with your writing! And, if you're lucky, you'll get a prize! The themes will vary greatly each month, so do your best to be prepared for some you like and some you'll hate, though.

To enter, please follow this month's theme: Starting Over

Juneberry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:11 pm Reply with quote        
RULES
-While I know most people hate limits, I can't read too many entries that are novel length. Please keep them between 50 to 250 words, or around there.
-Entries may be submitted up until January 30th
-Each member may only submit one entry!
-All entries must follow Midorea guidelines.
-No plagerism! This should be your imagination, not mine or someone else's. >:c
-Have fun!

PRIZES
1st Place - 1000 silver
2nd Place - 500 silver
3rd Place - 250 silver

Juneberry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote        
Sadly, if I get a lot of entries it'll be hard to keep up with what's an entry and what's a question/general post. So...Here's a form I'd like everyone to use, just to make the entries clear! It's a simple form, really, but...I still need it x-o

Code:
[b][color=tomato]I've Used The Theme![/color][/b]
[b]Username[/b]:
[b]Story[/b]:

Juneberry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:12 pm Reply with quote        
And, without further ado...May the contest and stories begin!

Siyue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:53 am Reply with quote        
I really wish I could do this but I have absolutely no ideas! Sad

Since I don't think double posting is allowed, I'm editing my entry into this post Smile

I KNOW WHERE MIDOREAN BACON COMES FROM!
Username: Siyue
Story:

A miner was trapped in one of the many mines that run underneath the lands of Midorea. The rocks caved in one night and the miner was growing tired and desperate. Oxygen was running low and he had no food, no water. Delirium kicked in and hallucinations ruled his mind. He dreamt of food and sunlight, and he awoke every so often to be reminded that he had none of either.

A voice was starting to sound in his ears, a voice so crisp and warm he'd thought he died and an angel was speaking to him. The voice told him to get up, to follow the light. And he did. The light led to a chamber where a stone table sat in the middle. The table was adorned with all kinds of food and the miner had to wonder, was he really here? Or just dreaming again?

A man entered the room and startled the miner, making him back away to the entrance.

"Do not be frightened, I am here to help. Please, sit down and enjoy a meal."

The miner hesitantly walked towards the table again and sat down. What sat in front of him was the most delicious and wondrous thing he'd ever discovered; bacon.

The miner, full of greasy goodness, sat back and patted his belly. "Now THAT is what I call luxury!" An idea sparked in his mind. "Hey, what if we used bacon as an element! It's deliciously wondrous smell could stun people and the warmth of it could burn people!" With that set, the miner proceeded to thank the kind, randomly generous man and found an exit. He then told everyone of Midorea about the gracious man and his bacon.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:19 am Reply with quote        
Oh hey, just realized this was here. I love the idea of it! If you're still doing this contest I'd love to be a part of next month! Happy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote        
Still doing it! I should really change the theme. But I may wait until November, so I can have until November's last day to read it. Or something. Because November will be nuts.

By the way, guys. Any themes you want used should be told to me too. They may be used Happy You'll get a little silver for submitting an idea if it's used. Most will be used xD

Saygen40

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote        
Oh, right. Themes. Since the entries are suppose to be pretty short, I think I'll mix specific themes in with general ones:

1. Waking up to find you've been sucked into the world of your computer while you slept.

2. You are suddenly 2 inches tall by some form of magic, and only your pet cat can see you.

3. You die and your ghost appears in a place with personal meaning.

4. You are disguised underneath your mask at a Halloween masquerade party and are approached by a long-time crush who doesn't recognize you.

5. You discover a mysterious staircase at the back of your closet.

6. Future dystopian society in which the second born twin is harvested for organs once they reach maturity.

7. Day in the life of a superhero.

8. Your genome is altered and you begin the process of growing a new physical characteristic.

9. Post-apocalyptic survivor meeting his/her future partner for the first time.

10. SWAT police and a mysterious agency break into your house; looking for you.

I'm having a lot of fun with this, so i'll just add a couple more.

11. You are a survivor/victim of the Titanic while it is sinking.

12. You discover that playing your musical instrument causes something strange to occur.

13. Grim reaper seeking a soul.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:32 pm Reply with quote        
...Saygen...You have just given me much to write about. Even if I wind up not writing for June's lovely contest, since I'll probably wind up writing a lot and only very sporadically, I love so many of your prompts. You don't mind if I use them just to get my creative juices flowing, do you? Not like I'll be publishing them or anything, I'd just be writing. And I'd be more than willing to post them so you and everyone else can read, if I ever actually do write any of them. I particularly love 1, 2, and 12, though~
Saygen40

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:05 pm Reply with quote        
Haha, of course! Go for it. You should definitely post them if you want; I'd love to read what direction you take 'em in. Happy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote        
Yay, thanks~! This'll give me plenty to do on my Tuesdays, now~ Besides working on my college applications during chemo, I can work on my word ladders and other mind-puzzles and write these if inspiration strikes.

I actually have something I wrote this past spring that I'm debating putting up here. Well, not here on June's contest thread, but I mean in the Storybook. It's something I have mixed feelings about...It's probably the best quality of something I've ever written, but it's really sad and personal. And kind of involves suicide...I might post it soon, but with a trigger warning at the top so people know not to read it if they don't want to read that kind of thing. For English last year, one of the monthly writing prompts was to write our own deaths. I wound up writing a suicide, and, though officially diagnosed as depressed, warned my parents in case they found the file on my computer and repeatedly told them and my teacher that I'm not suicidal. I wouldn't mind posting it, but I just don't want people to flip out and think I'm really weird or going to kill myself or something. Also, I cried when writing it, my mom cried reading it, my little brother (12-years-old at the time) cried when I read it to him (And I cried again when I was reading it to him), we didn't even let my dad look at it, and my teacher said I should seriously consider becoming a writer, and then recommended me for Creative Writing this year, which wound up not fitting into my schedule.

Sorry June, I kinda temporarily took over your thread to talk to Saygen, but I'll go away now...
Saygen40

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote        
I think you should. Smile The best stories are ones that can put the reader in an entirely new mind set other than their own, then provide them with a unique experience that manipulates their emotions and beliefs. The story becomes palpable and lingering, and yours sounds like it does just that. It doesn't matter that it's personal and covers dark topics. It sounds like a convincing extension of yourself.

So yes, you should. Maybe you can add it to your journal thread?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:36 pm Reply with quote        
Mm, not sure if it's that good, we might have all just been super-emotional because it was so personal and realistic, but maybe someone else who knows nothing about me will feel something like that. As an amateur author, it's all I can hope.

And yeah, I'll go add it in a sec, once I find it. It's hidden deep inside my computer, since the file's months old.

Okay, now I'll go away, June. I didn't mean to hi-jack your thread, it just sort of...Happened...
Saygen40

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote        
*throws clothing everywhere*

Ah, just like home. XD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:46 pm Reply with quote        
Saygen, thank you for the awesome ideas. They might also be helping me with my novel for NaNoWriMo >>;

Kacey: Where do you think you're going? You should be telling me more about the stuff you're writing! I don't mind if you don't participate, but you might give me ideas for topics too >Happy And...um...You're keeping me from going unnoticed, which makes me happy too! -shot-