Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / Advanced Roleplaying
Maverik

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:15 am Reply with quote        
Intro

Welcome to Gossamer Bay. True to its name, Gossamer Bay is a port city that acts as a trade hub for many species in this part of Ulian. One of the few trade hubs built completely around mana nodes, Gossamer Bay is unique in that it has a constant flow of magic about it, making it a safe harbour for both magical and mundane creatures.

Gossamer Bay gets its name from the resilient species of spiders that make its home in the region, and the silk collected from said arachnids. This luxury item is a common export of Gossamer Bay, and provides the city with enough wealth to maintain a healthy environment for most of its inhabitants.

Like any other city, though, Gossamer Bay has its share of crime, and the coastal location provides easy access to criminals just as well as it does to travelers. Who knows what sorts of individuals find their way to these crossroads?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:28 am Reply with quote        
Skylar was walking through the streets of Gossamer Bay slowly, watching the array of peoples that populated its streets. He could feel the hum of magic that blanketed the entire city, and it reminded him of home, and made his chest feel lighter.

Wait...no...that was hunger. Skylar tried to remember the last time he'd eaten something solid, and though the young elemental couldn't remember the exact time, he knew it was too long ago. Skylar poked through his bag for a moment, then realized he had neither food nor money. That...was problematic. Inside the bag, Skylar's fist closed over a small glass globe, and he smiled.

"Excuse me sir," Skylar said politely to a nearby merchant, peddling his wares behind a stall, "I was wondering if you would consider buying one oe more of these." Skylar pulled out the Spark, the small globe of glass now housing a small, living lightning bolt. The lightning slithered around, jumping from one point on the inside of the globe to another, mimicking the inside of a large storm cloud.

"Hmm...interesting," the merchant mused, taking the Spark from Skylar's palm, "What is it?"

"I call them Sparks," Skylar replied, "They're lightning, housed inside a glass house. They generate light, and a mild amount of heat, and are rather interesting to watch. I'm told they make very attractive baubles." The merchant, already somewhat entranced by the Spark, started nodding before his business sense kicked back in.

"How long do they last?" he asked.

"A very long time," Skylar replied, "Many...what is your term for the cycling of the moon? Months! Yes, months. Many months, if not more. As long as they are not broken, of course."

"Is it magic?"

"Yes sir."

"What happens when it's broken?" Skylar shrugged.

"The nearest person will receive a small shock, and whatever it broke against will be mildly burned. Nothing too bad." The merchant's brow creased as he mulled over the globe of lightning in his hand.

"You said you've sold these elsewhere?"

"In a few other towns and cities, yes," Skylar answered, "Apparently they sell rather well, especially to magophiles. I have...a few dozen in my bag, if you would like them."

"You've interested me, young man," the merchant said, smiling, "I think I will buy these...Sparks, you said?"

"Yes sir. Thank you." Skylar spent a few minutes haggling, then left, his bag slightly more full of money, and decided to look for a place to eat...it couldn't be that hard to find.

Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:59 pm Reply with quote        
"Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all week doing three shows a day!" A young woman dressed in bright colors held a tin can out for donations from the crowd surrounding her and the small robot sitting on the ground next to her. "Sir, I am very sorry about the oil. That's the first time I've ever tried to use him as a juggling prop." She apologized to a man with a large black stain on a new-looking shirt.

As the crowd slowly dispersed, she looked down at the can. It was a decent haul- a few bills, a bunch of coins, and a handful of bolts, screws, and candy wrappers. Not her best haul, but far from her worst.

As the last people in the crowd finally left, the robot's eyes lit up and he rose to walk over to the girl. "Hey, Gin! Next time would you please warn me before tossing me up in the air? I have a sensitive stomach, y'know."

"Sorry, Rummy." She bit her lower lip. "I'll give you notice next time."

The robot took the can out of her hand and took a look inside it. "We've been making less lately. If you ask me, we need to change up the act a bit. Put in something that nobody's ever seen before."

"Why do you think I decided to toss you in the air?"

"That's a terrible idea. Think of something better."

Gin chuckled. "Okay, Rummy. For now, I need to take some of this money and get some food."

Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote        
Skylar walked through Gossamer Bay for a while, aware of the uncomfortable hollowness in his torso. By now he was sure that it was hunger, something he hadn't been positive of before. The sensations of having one solid form were still new to him, despite Skylar being in this form for at least a month now.

Unwilling to go inside on such a lovely night, Skylar bought a few skewers of dumplings from a stand on the street, sat on a bench, and started chewing. Once again, Skylar realized how weird the physical sensations were. Taste. A whole new sense to understand. Sure, the sustenance was relatively inefficient, but wow, it tasted good.

Skylar spent at least half an hour sitting on the bench, watching people walk by, never blinking. Just watching and listening.

"Hey, you gonna eat that, or you jus' taunting me?" A homeless man demanded as he shuffled by. Skylar glanced down at the skewer of meat in his hand. The uncomfortable hollowness in his torso was gone, so he didn't need to eat anymore.

"Here you go," the storm elemental said, holding out the food. The homeless man almost didn't take it, he was so surprised.

"Wait...really?"

"Of course," Skylar said, smiling kindly, "Have a good night, sir." The homeless man nodded, dumbfounded, then shuffled off, tearing at the meat. Skylar smiled again, then went back to staring at anyone walking by.

KoyiTar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:10 pm Reply with quote        
"IT WAS A JOKE I'M SORRY OW!!!" Mirendie yelled as she was thrown out of the second inn she had found the the town that would actually take her in despite what she was flat on her rear. "Going to have to stop pulling pranks where I am staying. Awww man they kept my bag poo." She muttered and whined to herself as she began walking down the street. Being a half dragon was hard even in a world filled with such magic.

Mirendie just decided to walk around maybe she could find a bench or an ally to sleep at least she had her cloak to use as a blanket. Of course in the morning she would have to get a new bag by selling a scale or two but that would come when it did unless she could convince the inn keeper to let her have her old one back which was probably not going to happen. She sighed and continued walking down the street not paying much attention to anything for the most part.

Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote        
Gin spent a few of the coins she had just made in her show on a kebab stand near the tavern. She clambered on top of a stack of crates and sat down, Rummy under her other arm. When she made it to the top, she sat him down next to her.

"I miss eating things." Rummy looked at the still steaming Kebab, the vegetables and meat still glistening. "Eating things was the best part of being human."

"Stop griping, Rummy." She bit the top piece of meat off of the skewer. "It is pretty tasty, though."

"Don't you dare taunt me, Miss Ginnypher Donner." His screen eyes showed a look of annoyment.

"Don't you dare use my full name, Rummy." Gin glared back. "I'm doing the best I can with helping you find your body. You just never told me the name of the guy that did it. Or the name of the girl that caused it."
'
"You expect me to remember the name of every broad I ditched? If I did that, I'd be like... a *static noise*ing encyclopedia... did you really have to figure out how to censor me like that?"

"If you could control your language during morning shows, then maybe I'd get rid of it." Gin smirked. She watched the tavern across the street as a half-dragon seemed to be unceremoniously thrown out of it. She gave a sympathetic smile and looked down at the second kebab she bought for later.

"Hey, dragon-lady!" She shouted, "Care to join me for dinner?"

Maverik

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:01 am Reply with quote        
Kauss sighed as he entered the square, his body more than a little bruised and scarred from the day's work. He didn't know whether the tinkerer his guild conscripted was more of a liability than the giant spiders they had to deal with, but if he ever saw another steam contraption, it'd be too soon. The man absently poked at the bandage on his arm as he walked along the streets, carefully looking through the various venues, a low grumbling in his stomach already setting his goal as his eyes fell on a kebab store.

He approached the stall, giving a single curious glance as he noticed the odd assortment of travelers, from the curious talking tin can to the scaled woman who had been launched from the tavern doors, to a curiously dark-skinned elf whose eye contact wandered randomly. Huh. That was his only coherent thought that he could put together as he stood in front of the kebab stall, dropping a handful of coins before taking a small container of three skewers.

He sat down on a nearby bench, slowly picking away at the meal as his eyes wandered. Today was a curiously quiet day, despite the normal hustle and bustle that came hand-in-hand with a trade port, and it gave him time to rest and relax, something that he seemed to have ignored as of late.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:17 pm Reply with quote        
Rosa usually loved her job, owning a small inn on the edge of town she got all sorts of people walking in and out. She was very proud of her bar and she liked to boast that she had the best kitchen in the city. But this damn gnome was driving her crazy. He had been making her life a living hell for the last week.

"Hey-Rosa-how-are-doing-I'm-fine-how-are-you-I-was-wondering-what-you-were-going-to-make-for-dinner-because-I-know-I-would-want-some-lamb-because-lamb-is-super-good-and-I-love-that-how-you-make-it-OHMYGOD-is-it-good-well-do-you-know-what-time-it-is-I-have-this-wrist-watch-that-is-like-43seconds-too-slow-and-I-have-to-wind-it-every-35-days-which-is-horribly-inconvenient-and-a-ridiculous-design-It-must-have-been-an-invention-of-a-gnome-from-about-40years-ago-that-made-its-way-to-a-dwarf-ugh-dwarves-never-know-how-to-take-a-good-invention-and-make-it-their-own-I-think-I-should-make-a-note-here-and-remember-to-make-some-design-changes-and-make-it-better-like-self-winding-and-stuff."

Rosa had enough. Rosa bellowed, "God ABRAXIS STOP TALKING NOW AND SLOW DOWN IN THE FUTURE," and threw a dish at his face. "Please, just go sit down Abraxis."

"Im sorry Rosa, I will try to slow down for you. I am just hungry and you know I will pay you back by fixing up the Talking Hippo for you. Just don't be mad at me." Abraxis sat down quietly pulled out a sketchbook and started to draw out his new designs for a self-winding pocket watch.
KoyiTar

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:50 pm Reply with quote        
Mirendie looked around the the c all of hey dragon lady. It was the girl with the strange colored hair and robot she had seen performing earlier. She had thought it was a decent show and had given a few of her coin to it nothing. At the offer of food Mirendie's stomach growled she had foolishly gotten herself kicked out before acquiring dinner and now that her bag with her coin and other few items she carried was gone, well she wouldn't be able to do anything till the morning as far as buying decent food. She could probably catch a rat or something else to eat easily enough but with free food offered to you why would you turn it down.

"Sure and thanks for the offer. Not many people take to offering me food." She said as she walked over to the girl and her adorable robot companion to accept the kebab that had been offered to her trying her best not to smile to big. Sometimes people got afraid of her when she showed off her fangs smiling and retracted all acts of kindness. It was something she had come to expect so she tried her very best not to do so.

Malverne
Writer

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote        
Skylar watched all sorts of characters pass by. More than a few gave him strange glares, as if he had called them something rude. And while Skylar was not sure what all the rude terms were, and often accidentally insulted people in conversation, he was sure that such an event had not occurred, seeing as he hadn't actually spoken.

Of course, it didn't occur to Skylar that his staring was slightly off-putting. After receiving yet another of these bizarre glares, Skylar decided to start moving again. Maybe he had been sitting on a particularly special bench? Who knows. The young storm elemental hopped off the bench, and started walking leisurely in a random direction. Perhaps there would be something new down this street.

In fact...there was! Skylar stopped where he was walking and stared at the two women, both oddly colored, sharing food. They were each surely something new, as no one Skylar had yet seen had bright blue hair or brass colored scales. However, as intruiging as these two creatures were, they were nothing compared to the small metal man next to them. It...it ran off of the energy that Skylar manipulated, but it was housed inside the clanking shell...but how?

Skylar was about to go over and start poking the metal man when he remembered the first lesson he'd learned while on the Earthen Level. Mustn't touch what isn't yours. And while Skylar hadn't quite figured out quite what 'mine' and 'yours' mean, but he knew that someone would get angry if he just ran over and started poking something.

So he sat back and watched, trying to ascertain exactly what the metal man was.

Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote        
"No problem!" Gin smiled. There was a point in time where she was down and out. Most likely for different reasons than the half-dragon was, but it ended up with the same result. No food, no cash, and no place to rest. "I'm Gin Donner, and this tin can here is Rummy."

"Nice to meet ya, doll." One eye made a winking motion.

"Yeah, he's talking. It's a long story." Gin shrugged. "Anyway, what can I call you? Because I have a feeling that 'Dragon Lady' is not your preferred title."

KoyiTar

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 pm Reply with quote        
"My names Mirendie Chaos. The last name was earned because I'm a bit of a trickster heh. Nice to meet you Gin and Rummy." She said after getting over her initial shock at hearing the adorable little bot speak. She wasn't sure she had heard any others that were that small speak before. Of course she tended to not be in many places that had them that often either.

"Long story on why he can talk huh. I like stories." She continued taking a seat and taking a bite out of the kebab she had been given making sure not to hit anyone with her tail in the process.

Keylaleigh

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote        
“You like long stories, eh? Well keep yourself seated and make sure you're comfortable. It's been a while since I've told this one.

“Once upon a time, a little less than five years ago, I looked nothing like this. In fact, I looked pretty damned human if I do say so myself. Ronnie was the name. Ronnie Blitzen. And I was the greatest conman and jewel thief in the entire city. I was a very well-off man. And very handy with the ladies to boot. Been a charmer since I was a wee babe. I decided to use my gods-given gift to my advantage, and I got myself a bunch of fake birth certificates and fancy university degrees and went straight to the upper crust of society, where I became the talk of the town.

“I had so many women that wanted to be with me. So I let them, I charmed my way into their lives, and when I got close enough I took all of their wealth and left them on the spot.”

“A terrible and underhanded way to make money, if you ask me.” Gin rolled her eyes.

“Hey, a living's a living, doll.” Rummy then focused his attention on his current audience. “Anyways. There was this one girl. Real pretty. Can't remember her name for the life of me, but I do remember the strange tattoo on her back. A bird with an upside-down cyclone for a tail. To get back to what I was talking about, I went through my usual routine. Found her at a gala, went straight to charming her, was outrageously successful with it, courted her for a few weeks, and then took all of her stuff and ditched her. Usually my targets couldn't find me after that- I had a bunch of false identities that I hid under. This one, however, could. I went to bed one night about two or three days after I left her, and I woke up like...” he motioned to his robotic body. “This.”

“You shouldn't have dumped her and taken her stuff like that. You should have really thought something like that was going to happen eventually. Powerful wizards do exist, and some of them have daughters.” Gin sighed.

KoyiTar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:31 pm Reply with quote        
"If I knew how to use magic I probably would have resorted to the same thing if you had taken treasure from me. Then again I am half dragon so I tend to like treasure a lot even if I don't have any myself at the moment." Mirendie said finishing her kebab and looking around at the few stands that where still open.

"I know of several magical clans but none with that type of symbol though. Of course I am sure there are far more than the few I have met along my travels. If they have a symbol though they should be easy to find usually unless they are hiding themselves for whatever reason." She continued after a few moments of thinking about the symbols of magical clans she had met throughout her travels. It hadn't been many but none had used a bird of any sort that she could recall.