Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / The Theater
Post new topic   Reply to topic Nightmares and Dreamscapes Reboot (Accepting Applications)
Tsemara

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote        
Introduction:
Long ago superstition, magic, and monsters ruled. Wizards created great kings. Demons preyed upon the weak. There was proof to the stories that mothers told to frighten their children into obedience. And none were safe within the shadows.

All things great and small were created by the power of ones’ mind. The creators were part of another plane of existence. They were called, the Dreamers. These individuals were able to use abilities that many could only to hope to access in their wildest dreams in the waking world.

As time progressed, such things disappeared as imagination slowly became a lost art. Science took the place magic. The far reaches of the wilds were conquered by progress. Demonic monsters became little more than fanciful stories. And tales of great adventures were replaced by mind numbing activities such as television, or video games. For a time it seemed that the Dreamers were erased from existence.

There were some that held onto the old ways but were locked away, or destroyed. Were-beasts, vampires, ghosts, demons, elves, fey, and many forgotten beings were merely warriors from a time long abandoned. Many struggle to make due in a seemingly mindless world. Fear keeps them from emerging into the modern world. They fear being discovered, being caught, being killed, or worse. That is, until now.

A war is brewing as the Dreamers attempt to return from the brink of extinction. A splinter group that calls themselves “Nightmares” believe that it is time to make themselves known to the world by any means necessary. Unexplained disappearances, gruesome murders, and sightings of creatures that were believed to be legends are becoming more common as time passes.

Some Dreamers continue to hide away in hopes that the situation will resolve itself. Others have chosen to fight against their darker counterparts. While attempting to stay out of the public eye they too have chosen to use their abilities in the waking world in hopes of keeping the fragile peace between the Dreamers and the "ungifted" human beings.

Rules:
1 – Follow Midorea's rules. I shouldn't have to tell you that.

2 – No Godmodding! Keep your hands to yourself and your own character(s). You may not take control of another person's character unless you have permission to do so. In addition to that I will be handling any fights using dice to prevent people from dodging everything, or making every hit do critical damage. (It's happened on another site I used to go to.)

3 – This role play is rated PG-13 for violence, swearing and other violence related stuff. You have every right to be a total jerk if you want to be. If you want to have a relationship with another character, I'm not stopping you. But keep it clean. Seriously.

4 - Please follow the role play writing style. Third person, past tense. Please, try to be somewhat literate, and as close to being grammatically correct as you can. I understand that English is not everyone's first language, so I'm not going to be a crazy Grammar Nazi. However, i dnt wanna c ppl typing lik this. Mkay?

5- Only three characters are allowed per person, max. This is to prevent having too many characters and not enough actions for all of them. You can, however, kill one of your character or make it disappear if you don't want it anymore, but only if I agreed to it (means you need to contact me for that).

6 - Feel free to message me if you have a wicked awesome idea but aren't sure about using it. I'd hate to have people get excited about something that just isn't going to work out for some reason or another.

7 - I can add new rules at any time. Don't give me a reason to. Please.

Introduction and Rules / Player Types / Abilities / Characters / Battle System / Setting / Reserved

Malverne wrote:
Hang on...you went to attack a coyote...with a KATANA?! Dude, that's so badass.
Tsemara

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:35 pm Reply with quote        
Player Types:

Norms: The normal people. Muggles. Mundies. They are unable to access their Dreamscape abilities in the Waking World if they even know they exist in the first place. Most go about their lives unaware of the war that is on the verge of breaking. Some have witnessed a Dreamer in action. Sometimes it’s an accident. Other Norms have gained the trust of a Dreamer and have been shown a part of a world beyond the veil of sleep. Those that have been made aware of these individuals will sometimes choose to aid one of the two factions. A number of them decide to stay out of the mess completely and continue with their lives. Then there are those who seek to destroy any Dreamer they come across be they a Nightmare or otherwise. Lastly there is the possibility of a government of other powerful corporation that could take interest in Dreamer activity. They would attempt to recruit the Dreamers they come across to work as specialized agents.

Dreamers: These individuals have the ability to use powers they possess in the Dreamscape in the Waking World. They usually live with Norms with minimal amount of difficulty. Most Dreamers take special care not to use their talents in public unless no other option remains. They may not necessarily be saints, but they’re less likely to cause trouble for other people.

Nightmares: Usually seen as the darker side of the Dreamer population. Many of these fellows don’t see themselves as the bad guys they are accused of being. They believe that they have been forced into hiding for long enough. They feel that they deserve respect from those who cannot access they Dreaming abilities in any way shape or form. The rest have no agenda but their own and will use their otherworldly might as they see fit. Antics of these individuals range anywhere from being creepy, outright bloody murder, and everything in between.

Introduction and Rules / Player Types / Abilities / Characters / Battle System / Setting / Reserved

Malverne wrote:
Tsemara

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:36 pm Reply with quote        
Abilities:
Dreams are limited only by the Dreamer’s imagination. These are the more commonly known talents that Dreamers have possessed.

Gravity Defiance / Flight: There are a lot of people that fly in their dreams. Others have found different ways to ignore gravity in the waking world. This includes but is not limited to wall climbing, ceiling walking, and walking on air.

Shape Changing:
This one seems to be as common as flying. Most people have one extra shape which is usually an animal they are fond of. In others the end result is simply a changing of genders. Having more than one shape is rare, but not unheard of. A very small amount of individuals have chimera-like abilities, meshing different species together to create something new.

Physical Enhancement: Not to be confused with shape changing this grants the Dreamer superhuman traits such as abnormal speed, beastly strength, extreme amounts of stamina, and the occasional ability to jump unheard of distances.

Weapon Calling: Depending on the situation, some Dreamers have been able to pull weapons out of the Dreamscape. For the most part, Dreamers have been limited to melee weapons. While they pale in comparison to the real thing, that are more than capable of causing damage.

Chi: Call it what you will. With the rising popularity of Japanese cartoons, comics, and games there have been a rising number of people using their own energies to create personal shields and small, short range bombs. A very small amount of chi users have been known to help speed up the healing process as well.

Elemental: Some people have had the ability to control the elements around them with simple gestures as well as just their minds. Most elementalists are limited to one, maybe two elements. This became more common when Avatar: The Last Airbender and Ookami were released to the public.

Telekinesis: The ability to move an item without touching them.

Phasing: The ability to move through a solid object without doing damage to the object or to yourself. This is successful only when used on transparent or translucent objects where the Dreamer can see their destination.

Illusions:
Sometimes called Glamour, this is the ability to make something appear to be something it isn't. This is a difficult ability to master. Even the slightly break in concentration will revert the transformed item back to it's original form.

~~~

The mastery of these abilities varies with each individual. The more complex powers are harder to master. For the sake of simplicity this has been broken into four categories.

Initiate: The Dreamer had the basic idea on how to use this power. However they suck at it. They might as well not have this power at all considering on how poorly they harness it. But practice makes perfect, right?

Apprentice: The Dreamer can reliably harness the ability but the slightest distraction would break their connection to the Dreamscape. The power would stop until focus was regained.

Adept:
A minimal amount of difficulty would be experienced while using this talent. Some complications can arise in rare occasions. But they are easily overcome.

Master: The ability is as easy and natural as breathing. This is somewhat difficult to achieve in the Waking World but not unheard of.

Malverne wrote:
Tsemara

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:37 pm Reply with quote        
Characters:

NPCs:
These characters are public to all players and up for grabs if they are not currently in use.

Edna and Robert - The elderly couple that runs the lodge and manage the campgrounds.

Player Characters:

These people are property of their creators, so leave them alone.

Toni Wolverton ~ Tsemara

Building a character:

As of right now. I am limiting the amount of abilities a Dreamer may have to three. This is to keep, ahem, people like me from seeming like godmodders. There will be strict limitations to some of the abilities and how many people have them. I don't want to see people pulling BFGs out of their pockets or armored tanks out of their hair. Not everyone knows how to fly. And seriously, no one can blow people up with a thought. That's just not fair for other players. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, or post in the OOC thread. I won't bite.

Code:
[b]Name:[/b] (Pretty straightforward. Who is your character?)
[b]Age:[/b] (Anywhere between 12 and 100.)
[b]Gender:[/b] (Male? Female? Eunuch? Hermaphrodite? Transgender?)
[b]Occupation:[/b] (Have a job? Student? Unemployed?)
[b]Faction:[/b] (Dreamer, Nightmare, or Norm)
[b]Abilities:[/b] (Does not apply to Norms.)
[b]Personality:[/b] (How does your brain work?)
[b]Description:[/b] (What do you look like? A picture would be useful, but I still would like a written description of the character.)
[b]Biography:[/b] (Tell me a bit about yourself. I would like a paragraph, at least.)
[b]Other:[/b] (Anything else you would like to add?)
[b]Played by:[/b] (Who is the puppet master?)

Malverne wrote:
Tsemara

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote        
Battle System:
All glory to Atraea for coming up with this system.

In a perfect world, everyone would get along. Unfortunately, things are anything but perfect. People are bound to butt heads over different things. So, when your character is put into a situation that can have positive or negative outcomes, bold it, and type "..." at the end of the sentence. For example:

Quote:
Trent roared and swung a meaty fist at the startled Toni...

Unable to retreat quickly enough, Toni hastily raised a shield in front of herself to block the attack...

The bold font will indicate which action(s) I will roll the dice for. There will be separate rolls for each action/character/etc. For a majority of the game I will use specially marked dice to represent a d100. On rare occasions I will use another sized die to make smaller decisions. How the results are read is pretty similar to how I was taught when I used to play D&D.

Negatives:
Anything 50 and lower, will be a NEGATIVE effect. 25-50 is a slight botch, 12-24 a pretty decent botch, and anything under 23 means you're pretty much screwed. If you're luck is awful enough that day to where I roll a perfect 1 on your action...you're gonna be hurting for a loooong time. I won't kill your character off if I roll a 1, unless you REALLY want me to. (But why would you even consider that you mean thing?) However your character will be knocked out for the rest of the battle, likely be seriously wounded, and need to recover for at a fair amount of time before they're battle worthy again. (I'm willing to work that one out with you guys.)

Positives:
Anything 51-75 is a slight success, 76-89 is a moderate success, 90-99 is super effective, and a perfect 100 is like winning the lottery and getting the check from Hugh Jackman while he sings about how awesome you are. Er, yeah. (Thank you El Goonish Shive for that one.) Essentially that last one is an instant K.O. or something equivalently badass.

Going on with the previous example:

Quote:
Trent roared and swung a meaty fist at the startled Toni...

Unable to retreat quickly enough, Toni hastily raised a shield in front of herself to block the attack...

*I roll dice in the background and post the results.*

(Trent rolled a 38. Toni rolled a 84.)

Toni's shield wavered but held as Trent's fist slammed into the shimmering barrier. His hand and wrist ached in protest as he pulled it away from the girl's personal force field.

Obviously things can get pretty rough in a fight, but hopefully you get the idea. If not just let me know what you don't understand and I'll try and clear it up for you.

Malverne wrote:
Tsemara

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:39 pm Reply with quote        
Setting:

It's late spring, early summer, in the early 21st century. The busy season has not yet started in a quiet mountain lodge, located in a dense forest. There are a couple hundred rooms and a number of scattered campsites available for travelers. The nights are comfortable not too warm, but not too cool either. A river runs besides one of the campgrounds providing ample fishing for enthusiasts, with a few slower moving sections for swimmers. The water is cold, but bearable during this time of year. A fair number of dirt trails are woven through the surrounding forest for both beginner and veteran hikers. There is evidence of thriving animal communities, but they tend to shy away from humans.

Like many wilderness based parks, a number of disappearances have been noted at the location. The majority of them have been written off as lost hikers or people getting swept away in faster sections of the river. Periodically an occult hunter will visit the ground believing that there is something more sinister to the vanishing acts. Nothing out of the ordinary has been found......yet.

Malverne wrote:
Tsemara

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote        
Reserved:

My personal "Bag of Holding".

Malverne wrote: