Midorea V3 Development Merch | Search | Memberlist | Vault | The Forge | Battle! | Temple

Goody Shop Reward

Log-In   Not a member? Register Now! 
Midorea Forum Index / News & Announcements
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Squid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote        
    I'm starting to type this at the same time as I'm reading the previous posts, and also playing around with the avatars, so deepest apologies if I re-state something :c Forgives?

First off, I think it would be SUPER helpful if you had just a plain old avatar and a plain new avatar standing next to each other in the first post. It makes for easier comparison, rather than switching skins back and forth in the avatar screen. Just a thought, I'm not sure if it's "too late" for that, though.

Second thing is like ... this thread almost seems super derailed because of the bawwing and picking on people and fighting and such. I think we need to really really keep that in check. Let's try to be adults, here, and focus on the actual topic, which is the new bases, nothing else. Again, it may well be "too late" for my input on that particular matter, but there it is, I'm not deleting it.

So, moving on, at first I was a little horrified because I love the old bases. I love the curviness of the females. Aaaand naturally when flipping back and forth, the first thing I saw that kind of bothered me was the boobs.

Here you can see the that new avatar seems to have super lopsided boobs, because of the shading I think.

I love that we have more options for default face styles now. I don't know if that is new with this update, or something I'd missed, but new basic noses~ My favorites~ And the mouths~ Wooo~ I think the eyes need to be a few pixels lower, because it looks strange with the eyebrows here ... Or maybe it's just me?

I personally prefer the old chin, but that's just me. I think the new one makes the avatar look like she's got SUPER JAWS, it's very square. No real criticisms, other than it's not something I personally like. When Cat decides to make Midorea exclusively to make Squid happy, then I will bawwww about new chins =P The more I read through the thread and see the new avatars with the new chins and faces, I do think I'm going to back up my opinion a little more and say that the new chin/jaw makes the faces look a bit more masculine. As a super fan of androgyny, man, if that's what you want, go for it. I think it is something you should be aware of, though, in case it isn't what your intention is.

I'm reading a bit of issues about the neck, and I can agree that the new one is a bit weird. I think the problem is that it's like a straight vertical line under the chin, then it suddenly slopes towards the shoulders. I know that redoing a base is a serious task, and involves - depending on how severe the repixelazation - eventual redoing of the entire Midorea inventory. But maybe when you're tweaking things, Cat, you could see about trying to make that slope towards the shoulders a little more natural and less severe? I don't know?

I'm not sure how I feel about the shading on the ribs. I understand that you're trying to give us a bit more definition, and I also am very aware that clothed, no one will even know it's there, so this may just be a dumb little thing, but I think it's kind of odd. Can't really put my tentacle on what's wrong with it, though. Maybe just that it's new and I don't have any rib shading on my own body to be used to such a thing?

I like that the male body looks softer, less like he had some muscles tattooed on him. But I think in one of the earlier posts, when it's said that the body is still a cylinder, what was meant that while the female base has hips to give shape, the male doesn't. So it looks like the waist and hips are a straight line. Obviously, men don't generally have such pronounced hips as women tend to have, so I don't know how this can be fixed. It's just a quirk the male bases have kind of always had?

The far (male) leg does look thicker than the near one.

Regarding Cat's "actual references" for the male torso ... Come on miow, we all know you just wanted to oogle some tasty beefcake ;D Let's not lie now =P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:15 pm Reply with quote        
I must say I'm pretty happy to see some new things happening, even if I don't have much time to enjoy them right now, and the new bases are a nice change (I loved the old ones too, and it'll take me some time to adjust to the new ones, but they're pretty nice). And I pretty much agree with everything Squid said.

I'm just gonna post a few comments for now, and maybe more when I get some free time and my anatomy books. Sorry if some of those things have already been said (just ignored them Wink).

So, the head. It's the same for male and female poses, right? I must say I'm not a huge fan of the new jawline for the female (probably mostly because I'm so used to the old model though). It's not bad in itself, just way stronger than what it was before. But yeah, people already said that I think. The shading of the head is also annoying me a bit. It looks like the jaws are sorta like extra pieces glued to the front of some egg-shape base. This is almost completely hidden when some ears are on, obviously, but I figured I'd mention it anyway since it look a bit weird by itself...

The neck seems to connect directly with the shoulder (under the chin), while it should be passing in front of it and "connecting" to the collar bones, I think. It doesn't really have to be modified a lot (like, not affecting the outline), but making it come down a little instead of going straight for the shoulder could maybe solve that part? Like it is now, it looks like the right shoulder of the avatar is higher than then other, and it makes the rest off-balance. See pic here (it's ugly because I'm too tired, but basically stretch the neck 2-3 pixel down).

Quote:
I'm not sure how I feel about the shading on the ribs.

Yeah, that. I think the problem I have with the ribs is that, with the shading being more defined, it sorta make it look like there's a weird angle. Like, a flat piece that is facing you, then a sudden angle and the rest of the ribs that go toward the back. I'm guessing if that was somewhat smoothed/lightened, it'd look more round and sorta closer to real ribs? Maybe. Then again, as Squid mentioned, nobody will know if it's hidden under clothes, and it does add more definition, but I dunno, something feels weird about it.

The male base seems pretty alright from what I can see right now. The straight outline of the torso sorta give a cylinder look, but I'm not sure what can be done without having to play with it too much and affecting the other items.

So yeah, good job on those bases Cat! Overall they're pretty good Bouncy Heart

Lorwen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote        
I'm not happy with the change. I like the way my avatar looks. now to keedp my old base, I cant alter my avatar....cant we have the option of keeping the old bases? and the face looks too mascaline..